Jim Kelly Cancer Recovery - Final Surgery Scheduled for 11/28/18

Just now, VaMilBill said:

Is that swelling in the jaw or will he look like that from now on? He looks like he's aged a lot the last couple years. Poor guy. Praying for Jimbo

He will undergo a couple more procedures to reconstruct his jaw from what I remember. 

Wow.  Keeping Jim in my prayers.

Does anyone know if the cancer just "happened" or was Jim a tobacco chewer?  Trying like heck to get my 18 year old to stop chewing.

35 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Great to see you out there Jim!

On a personal note,  today is the last day of my brothers radiation treatments!!!!!!

So far it's looking good for him.  Keep fighting guys!

Good luck to your brother! Bills fam always look out for each other :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah definitely.

Fibula resection is a tough one.

I treated a guy last year who had similar procedure, fibula bone piece taken out and grafted into his shoulder (not jaw)

His walking came back pretty quick, but it was painful.

He also wasn't a cancer patient, so bone healing is a lot slower for Jim due to that.

Wishing him the best.

I met him as a kid back in the early 90s, was a great experience.

Modern medicine blows my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

I wonder if he will talk any different than before.  Sure looks different.  I have a relative who went through something kind of similar, looks and talks completely different now.

I don't know, but i saw another clip of all the reporters walking with JK and Allen off the field.  Allen made some nice comments, they kept asking Jim questions and he couldn't speak other than garbling a couple words.  He gave thumbs up and said something like "talk soon".  So as of now I don't think he can really talk and I'd imagine it would take a long time to speak even close to normal.  

Just now, zow2 said:

I don't know, but i saw another clip of all the reporters walking with JK and Allen off the field.  Allen made some nice comments, they kept asking Jim questions and he couldn't speak other than garbling a couple words.  He gave thumbs up and said something like "talk soon".  So as of now I don't think he can really talk and I'd imagine it would take a long time to speak even close to normal.  

Yikes!  Sounds pretty bad.

Just now, Infinitum said:

Yikes!  Sounds pretty bad.

the guy just had part of his lower leg bone grafted into a new jawbone.. yeah that could take a while....

I have a doctor friend up in Buffalo who knows the Kelly situation pretty well.  After Kelly's first surgery he told me it is worse than the public knows.  Now he's still going in 2018, albeit having a rough time.  I think we all need to keep saying some prayers for Jimbo.  He's outlasted this terrible disease longer than some insiders thought he would.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I have a doctor friend up in Buffalo who knows the Kelly situation pretty well.  After Kelly's first surgery he told me it is worse than the public knows.  Now he's still going in 2018, albeit having a rough time.  I think we all need to keep saying some prayers for Jimbo.  He's outlasted this terrible disease longer than some insiders thought he would.

I think we're all thinking things that no one wants to say when it comes to his situation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

FWIW, I’ve heard similar. It’s not a good situation.

• Sad 2

We all knew he was a tough. None of us knew just how tough.

Toughest son of a B word out there.

Get well, Jim. My prayers are with you. You may look a little different but it appears that you are doing a hell of a lot better than you were after your second bout.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I’ve heard similar. It’s not a good situation.

I'm sure each of us have heard different things, I certainly have heard plenty on JKs situation (FWIW, I've got a very close source), but this wouldn't be the place to share them.... 

I think what he's told the public is all that anyone really needs to know. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Wow.  Keeping Jim in my prayers.

Does anyone know if the cancer just "happened" or was Jim a tobacco chewer?  Trying like heck to get my 18 year old to stop chewing.

Thank you for not making the assumption that Jim is a chewer.  I've learned from personal experience not to make assumptions when it comes to cancer.  I recently gave an update on my cancer story on another message board.  I had a stage two lung cancer tumor removed a year ago February, along with part of my right lung, then underwent chemotherapy for 2 1/2 months.  At this point there is no apparent cancer remaining.  Anyway, as a response, a well meaning poster, allong with wishing me the best suggested it was highly likely I was a smoker, and should do my best to quit.  I took three puffs on a cigarette I go a hold of when I was in third grade and decided that was something I never wanted to do.  Since them (about 58 years) I have been a passionate non-smoker. 20% of lung cancer cases occur in non-smokers.  I don't know what the percentages are with cancer of the mouth and jaw, but I'm sure it does just "happen" in a statistically significant number of cases.  Good luck dealing with your 18 year old, by the way.  I have a 19 year old adopted daughter who is a smoker, among other things.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Great to see you out there Jim!

On a personal note,  today is the last day of my brothers radiation treatments!!!!!!

So far it's looking good for him.  Keep fighting guys!

...GREAT news bud!......stay strong for him.........Colorado Tough.......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1