Making the case for Lamar Jackson

502Buffs

6 minutes ago, 502Buffs said:

Do you know how they measure this? Actual throws to receivers running routes or just throwing through a speed tracker? If you watch his tape you'll see he absolutely rifles the ball into receivers hands.

Yeah I don't think arm strength is a concern with him. If he fails it will be because he doesn't fix his inconsistent mechanics or because he doesn't learn to slide at the right time. He is nothing like Tyrod. He always looks to throw first before he runs and throws with better anticipation. Which team wants to take his unique skill set and build an offense around it is the question. I don't think he's a McBeane QB at all.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Came across this article today from Bleacher Report, which means I take it with a Mt. Everest of salt. He's not without his supporters and it was nice to see Kiper have his hypocrisy exposed, too.  Anyway, if he's not impressing at interviews in terms of breaking down plays or retaining information, it's going to be a red flag. Wish I knew if those at the combine that are worse were any of those expected to be selected before him. 

Here's the rest of the article. Again, it's Bleacher Report, so don't hold it up as a great example of sports journalism. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766425-ditch-the-racially-coded-language-lamar-jackson-is-no-ones-wide-receiver

Saw this article as well. Agree that would be a red flag, but none of these QB's are day one ready IMO. Didn't want to harp on the racial issue because I knew that would turn a lot of people off, but the evidence is staggering. Was interesting to hear Chris Long's take being a white defensive end.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Actually his potential isnt limitless. His cieling to me is about a top 15 NFL QB

You're entitled to your opinion.

I must say he is very intriguing but I'm not so sure that the Buffalo Brain Trust is looking for that type of quarterback again after TT. I think they are looking for a pocket passer. 

Edited by PIP

4 minutes ago, 502Buffs said:

Not throwing a pick IS a decision and a good one if you ask me. Tyrod drove me crazy as well, but if Jackson can scramble for a first down instead of throwing a pick that's also a good decision. He definitely needs work, but the potential is limitless. Simply labeling him as another Tyrod is just lazy IMO.

I dont know if Jackson's potential is "limitless"

I think that he has mechanic's issues that if he cleans them up could make for a very good nfl starter

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Anecdotal evidence : they think he look likes Tyrod Taylor ( read into that what you will) and he runs, so must not be that good. I do not agree with this opinion, btw but that's what I hear when I bring Jackson up to other Bills fans. 

I would bet about 50 % of fans really do think he's another TT...and you know why.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

3 inches taller but 10 pounds lighter is very small. 

For as much as he runs, he could break easily 

The way he runs is what you need to look at versus how much he runs. Very good at avoiding big hits. ACC defenders are no princesses.

Just now, 502Buffs said:

The way he runs is what you need to look at versus how much he runs. Very good at avoiding big hits. ACC defenders are no princesses.

I don't know if you saw the Shady highlight video that was tweeted out by the team recently. I noticed on a few runs that Shady kinda gave up and hit the sideline once the play was maximized. I honestly think that's why Shady is still so good despite having more touches than (insert your own joke here, I ain't getting banned) :D

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

4 of those picks came in one game. Probably the worst of his career and unfortunately also his last. Have respect for him leaving it all out on the field and trying to will his team to victory, but that was not a pretty performance. That coupled with this bowl game his freshman year kind of shreds your SEC theory though.

6 minutes ago, PIP said:

I must say he is very intriguing but I'm not so sure that the Buffalo Brain Trust is looking for that type of quarterback again after TT. I think they are looking for a pocket passer. 

Playing the draft game conservatively has kept us in mediocrity for too long IMO

9 minutes ago, 502Buffs said:

Not throwing a pick IS a decision and a good one if you ask me. Tyrod drove me crazy as well, but if Jackson can scramble for a first down instead of throwing a pick that's also a good decision. He definitely needs work, but the potential is limitless. Simply labeling him as another Tyrod is just lazy IMO.

I don't think it is lazy. Your opinion is that he is really good. My opinion is that he is similar to Tyrod and will have similar successes and failures in the NFL.

Taylor definitely deserves to play in this league. He is good enough to win games. He has some great things about him and some debilitating things about him. That's what I see in Jackson too.

He could turn out to be good if he fixes a lot of his issues, which is why I would totally take him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Just now, Mark80 said:

Jackson is criminally underrated.  I'd love to have him.  More so than Rosen and Allen.  But I prefer Mayfield and Darnold first.  Then Lamar.

That's exactly where I am. I'd be thrilled to land him. But my overall ranking is 1)Darnold  2)Mayfield  3)Jackson . . . . .moderate gap in my enthusiasm level to 4)Rosen  5) Allen  6)Rudolph.

And I could probably be talked into Rudolph before Rosen or Allen, though I know I'll get flamed for that.

Frankly, if any of those six land here, I'm happy and intrigued - at least until the first preseason game ;-). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

I don't think it is lazy. Your opinion is that he is really good. My opinion is that he is similar to Tyrod and will have similar successes and failures in the NFL.

Taylor definitely deserves to play in this league. He is good enough to win games. He has some great things about him and some debilitating things about him. That's what I see in Jackson too.

He could turn out to be good if he fixes a lot of his issues, which is why I would totally take him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

How is he similar to Tyrod

14 minutes ago, 502Buffs said:

Saw this article as well. Agree that would be a red flag, but none of these QB's are day one ready IMO. Didn't want to harp on the racial issue because I knew that would turn a lot of people off, but the evidence is staggering. Was interesting to hear Chris Long's take being a white defensive end.

You're entitled to your opinion.

There are big flaws to his game. And alot of time the areas that he does have flaws in are not correctable. 

So that is why i say he doesnt have limitless potential

Edited by MAJBobby

There are some things to like in his highlights.

But I don't how you can't be concerned about his poor play outside the SEC and his lack of x-and-o expertise at the combine.  

His arm strength, on the other hand, looks better on film than it did on the radar gun.

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Has there ever been a problem with this to even think that it should be a problem?

The player that some want to give the farm for has MULTIPLE CONCUSSIONS

Are QBs in NFL protected via Rules differently than College players. 

Are college players treated differently while injured than NFL players?

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There are big flaws to his game. And alot of time the areas that he does have flaws in are not correctable 

What are the "big flaws" that are not correctable

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Are QBs in NFL protected via Rules differently than College players. 

Are college players treated differently while injured than NFL players?

What does this have to do with anything really?

Does he have the concussions or not?