Making the case for Lamar Jackson

502Buffs

2 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Oh, one other thing.

If you think he needs to switch positions, go with RB and not WR. He actually has RB traits.

Did anyone even watch the highlight video I posted? Several NFL throws in there. He doesn't need to change positions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

I don't think he needs to switch positions. I just don't want him anywhere near Buffalo as a QB.

I really have no objections to anyone that dislikes him as a QB. I'm hesitant to draft him if I'm the Bills GM because I don't want someone that needs time, I want Mr Right Now.

1 minute ago, 502Buffs said:

People keep trashing Tyrod's game, but I'm pretty sure he just helped us end a 17 year playoff drought in a year where everyone thought we were tanking. With that being said, he's twice the prospect Tyrod is/was. The game has changed, folks. Versatility is a good thing. It just depends on if we have the coaching staff to coach him up, because if we don't, someone else will.

You think.

Those who've built Lamar Jackson into Football Jesus are just as guilty as the Rosen fanclub of assuming his game is able to be successful in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'll go as far as saying this. Lamar Jackson is a quarterback. If his film says anything but that to you, you're doing it wrong.

His mobility is a plus in theory. PFF put out a stat about 70% of his rushing yards being on designed runs, not scrambles. If you watch the games, you should tell the difference between a scramble and a zone read or inverted veer play.

Does Lamar need work? Of course. His feet get too narrow, causes accuracy issues. He can look to escape pressure but he does a good job of keeping his eyes up against the rush. I think the biggest difference between him and Tyrod is that Lamar wants to be a passer and will stick with his reads longer. He's more intuitive and aggressive as a passer.

I agree with this assessment.

First....let me say that he is not my top choice in the trade up scenarios.....my top 3 are Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield

BUT

You cannot just give up on finding a qb if all of our plans go to crap trying to move into the top 10......and frankly if I can get a quality prospect (even if they need to sit a year) and NOT have to give up all my accumulated picks that is very very enticing to me......we need LB's, pass catchers, and OL also

• Like (+1) 1

People keep trashing Tyrod's game, but I'm pretty sure he just helped us end a 17 year playoff drought in a year where everyone thought we were tanking. With that being said, he's twice the prospect Tyrod is/was. The game has changed, folks. Versatility is a good thing. It just depends on if we have the coaching staff to coach him up, because if we don't, someone else will.

I'm all for versatility, but the biggest, most important thing for a QB is accuracy. 2nd is decision making.

Tyrod wasn't accurate and he didn't make decisions because he didn't want to throw a pick and couldn't read the field well enough to operate quickly.

I see some of those same traits in Jackson, even though he is more talented.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

I really have no objections to anyone that dislikes him as a QB. I'm hesitant to draft him if I'm the Bills GM because I don't want someone that needs time, I want Mr Right Now.

Interesting. The Bills don't have a right now roster, and probably won't approach that until next offseason/ draft at least. 

2 minutes ago, 502Buffs said:

Yes being able to Move INSIDE a pocket is vital. 

It comes down to one belief with Jackson. 

Do you think you can fix his major mechanical issues. If the answer is yes then his accuracy improves and he can succeed in the NFL. 

If you do not think you can fix them then you Do NOT draft him

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

Is there really a "Mr. Right Now" in this draft?? Lamar is more that than any other because of his running ability. The Rams thought Goff was that and almost labeled him a BUST. Most QBs coming from college needs grooming nowadays. Andrew Luck being the exception.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You think.

Those who've built Lamar Jackson into Football Jesus are just as guilty as the Rosen fanclub of assuming his game is able to be successful in the NFL.

You haven't backed up a single point on this post with reason, only made colorful takes with no supporting evidence.

Just now, the skycap said:

Is there really a "Mr. Right Now" in this draft?? Lamar is more that than any other because of his running ability. The Rams thought Goff was that and almost labeled him a BUST. Most QBs coming from college needs grooming nowadays. Andrew Luck being the exception.

I think Rosen is Mr Right Now. Mayfield and Darnold are probably Mr Bring In At The Bye Week.

This is why I'm serious about climbing the order to get Rosen. If you trade away assets, I want what I think is closest to the finished article.

Came across this article today from Bleacher Report, which means I take it with a Mt. Everest of salt. He's not without his supporters and it was nice to see Kiper have his hypocrisy exposed, too.  Anyway, if he's not impressing at interviews in terms of breaking down plays or retaining information, it's going to be a red flag. Wish I knew if those at the combine that are worse were any of those expected to be selected before him. 

Jackson didn't help himself during his interviews with NFL teams, grading poorly with his preparation on the whiteboard, according to multiple sources. Teams have quarterbacks draw up their favorite plays against certain coverages, and they're looking for prospects to be as thorough as possible to grade their football intelligence.

Jackson wasn't detailed, allowing skeptics to reinforce their view that he should change positions because of his "football IQ."

"He has enough pluses that I still like him," said one NFL quarterbacks coach. "If he was really sharp with that, then he would be a top-10 pick. It was bad, but not the worst I've ever seen. Not even the worst at this combine."

Here's the rest of the article. Again, it's Bleacher Report, so don't hold it up as a great example of sports journalism. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766425-ditch-the-racially-coded-language-lamar-jackson-is-no-ones-wide-receiver

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm all for versatility, but the biggest, most important thing for a QB is accuracy. 2nd is decision making.

Tyrod wasn't accurate and he didn't make decisions because he didn't want to throw a pick and couldn't read the field well enough to operate quickly.

I see some of those same traits in Jackson, even though he is more talented.

Not throwing a pick IS a decision and a good one if you ask me. Tyrod drove me crazy as well, but if Jackson can scramble for a first down instead of throwing a pick that's also a good decision. He definitely needs work, but the potential is limitless. Simply labeling him as another Tyrod is just lazy IMO.

Not throwing a pick IS a decision and a good one if you ask me. Tyrod drove me crazy as well, but if Jackson can scramble for a first down instead of throwing a pick that's also a good decision. He definitely needs work, but the potential is limitless. Simply labeling him as another Tyrod is just lazy IMO.

Actually his potential isnt limitless. His cieling to me is about a top 15 NFL QB