How Did Manziel Suddenly Become Relevant?

Irv

3 hours ago, Irv said:

Lousy track record.  He's a known addict and abuser.   He throws for a pro day.  Now he's on a dozen web sites speculating which NFL team will sign him.    I can't stand Kaepernick, but if Manziel is signed and he is not - it would confirm that there is an NFL blacklist.    

Johnny is a baller , I suggest looking at his highlights same as Colin but teams will feel the way they do 

but Johnny just like Colin deserve a second chance 

nothing has proven they can’t ball out ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah or MAYBE just Maybe the President stays the f out of things like this and Leads the Nation instead of constantly playing to the divide. But that is another argument for another day and one I dont really want to get into because of UCMJ implications 

That's just politics and how it's always been. You know the old saying about politics. The league would love to stay out of it. Legal troubles have often been overllooked by the NFL and fans. They're just not as divisive topics. Politics has been known to split families and end friendships . 

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And they are actually not. Rating didnt slip because of 45s boycott calling.

instead because no one likes ref running the games and stuff like horribla catch rule. 

As well as streaming and such 

I think there's a lot to it

I personally know a dozen or so longtime NFL fans who cancelled NFL package and didn't watch at all because of the protests

I live in a fairly liberal area of NY

It's all a part of it

Stop acting like it didn't affect their ratings at all

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

How can you unequivocally say in the first sentence it's not black listing and then later on say there is no way to prove it.  wouldn't that also mean there is no way to prove it's not?

I don't know if there is or not.  But, with all the grief the NFL went through this season and it's affects on ratings and $$$$$$, owners would certainly have motivation to see that he NEVER take another NFL snap. 

There is no way to prove it either way. It just makes sense to me that business owners would tend to see it the same way for their business. Not a good look and the talent level doesn't match the negatives that would come with him. Fans are sympathetic with legal troubles, addiction, maybe some would even say domestic violence to a point. You rarely hear howls of protest. Politics is yet another matter. It's the entertainment business. Just with a different customer base than say, movie and show biz fans that swoon over stars' political statements and causes. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think there's a lot to it

I personally know a dozen or so longtime NFL fans who cancelled NFL package and didn't watch at all because of the protests

I live in a fairly liberal area of NY

It's all a part of it

Stop acting like it didn't affect their ratings at all

A small dent at best 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

A small dent at best 

Any dent to their wallets is something they pay attention to.

I will reiterate that I have zero problem with the protests.

I give the players props for doing it, and taking the risk of knowing it could affect their employment.

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Any dent to their wallets is something they pay attention to.

I will reiterate that I have zero problem with the protests.

I give the players props for doing it, and taking the risk of knowing it could affect their employment.

I am waiting to see how much the NFL made this year. Willing to bet it was more than last year. Evident by another 10M increase to the cap 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Only to be replaced with 3 more what ifs

Yes, but none could ever be as ridiculous as those three. It’s one thing to talk about “what ifs” with guys who are actually QB’s in the NFL. Tebow, Manziel, and Kaepernick are unlikely to ever play on a NFL field again, so I don’t understand why so many people are still fascinated with those guys. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I am waiting to see how much the NFL made this year. Willing to bet it was more than last year. Evident by another 10M increase to the cap 

That could be the case, but inflation of mechanise and ticket prices could also affect that.

I'd like to see the total sales and ratings #s, not the $$ from it, by the end of it all.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

That could be the case, but inflation of mechanise and ticket prices could also affect that.

I'd like to see the total sales and ratings #s, not the $$ from it, by the end of it all.

TV contract written. They are getting their money no matter what the ratings are. Hence increases to people that watch Direct TV but not for the Sunday ticket. 

So the NFL made more profit than they did last year. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

TV contract written. They are getting their money no matter what the ratings are. Hence increases to people that watch Direct TV but not for the Sunday ticket 

That's interesting.

They're all swimming in $$ either way.

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

That's interesting.

They're all swimming in $$ either way.

Yep. Dips in ratings will be used against the NFL in the next deal. But not going to matter there is network competition that will drive prices up again

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep. Dips in ratings will be used against the NFL in the next deal. But not going to matter there is network competition that will drive prices up again

I will say that the NFL dropping Papa John's like a bad habit shows that they don't care about the protests at all, just their perceived stance and it's affect on ratings.

He ran his mouth and they said bye Felicia.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The ratings dips are significant on their own , but all TV viewership is down across the board. NFL games are still the surest thing going relative to other programming. Just not reaching the volume of viewers that they used to. It will be interesting how advertisers view the shrinking pool of " captive eyes" and how or if it affects what they ( and ultimately networks ) are willing to pay. 

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I will say that the NFL dropping Papa John's like a bad habit shows that they don't care about the protests at all, just their perceived stance and it's affect on ratings.

He ran his mouth and they said bye Felicia.

They wanted to send a message to the advertisers that they expect them to stay out of this. They don't want them choosing sides publicly. They'd pretty much love if the whole thing just went away. It's just difficult to make that happen. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

To be fair  all he did was drugs and beat a girl, we know that means nothing in NFL

HOWEVER Take a Knee during anthem and boom Blacklisted. 

You do know other players kneeled and kept there jobs. I think his downfall was he was not that good his last year + wearing the socks on the field portraying cops as pigs, oh yeah and praising the Cuban dictator Fidel Castro(he probably would have started for Miami last year if he didn't praise Castro). All that equals not worth it for the premium back up/starter money he wanted. Sorry the NFL is a business and a very competitive one at that, and if his talent outweighed his blemishes he would be on a team.

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It is ridiculous that Colin Kaepernick had a successful career including 2 trips to NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl and in in his prime gets ZERO interest.  Yet a guy who had a short un productive career is for some reason getting interest.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Colin today and name him the presumptive starter.  Stop screwin' around Beane.

Fortunately the GM the Lions signed, Matt Millien, was more qualified than you to be GM despite being a bust. Russ Brandon was more qualified than you.

Decisions on who to sign on team and whether to trade up picks to trade for a potential bust (teams never stop hearing about it when they trade up for a bust) should be left to teams.

Just now, Limeaid said:

Fortunately the GM the Lions signed, Matt Millien, was more qualified than you to be GM despite being a bust. Russ Brandon was more qualified than you.

Decisions on who to sign on team and whether to trade up picks to trade for a potential bust (teams never stop hearing about it when they trade up for a bust) should be left to teams.

I said "IF IT WERE UP TO ME" which obviously it is not.  My opinion only.  Your mileage may vary.

Besides, I haven't been a GM so you have no idea if I would be good at it or not. :)

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

That's another story.  If it were up to some GMs and coaches, I would guess he'd be signed.  I think owners probably are insturcting GMs not to sign him.  They don't want the inevitable political controversy.

It is the owners' money despite what some want.