THE GREAT DEBATE: Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?

Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?

• YES! he was a good FA signing
    • NO! he was not a good FA signing

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

You are in the minority, because when you take a look at the polls its nearly split 50/50.  

There's no doubt Mario had a few great seasons, but keep in mind he was the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.  Do you really feel that his performance lived up to that monster contract?

How can I be in the minority when the vote is 59 to 41?

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

How can I be in the minority when the vote is 59 to 41?

Because it was 54-46 when I posted.  

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Easy answer.  Yes.  Everyone who answers no, is wrong.  Mario was one of our few elite players.  Period.

I think many of us who voted “no,” don’t feel that he lived up to his contract as being the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.  I can’t recall anyone saying that Mario was one of the best players in the NFL, yet he was paid like one 

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

54% is a minority?  I see your knowledge of mathematics is only rivaled by your knowledge of football.

No, You said the topic was not debatebable as to indicate that most fans felt the same way.  He fact the the poll is around 50/50 shows that this is, in fact, a very debatable topic.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

What would you guys choose? A good QB or a game changer D-Line? Qb 9 outta 10.

Based on this poll, I think Bills fans would rather have a DE

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think many of us who voted “no,” don’t feel that he lived up to his contract as being the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.  I can’t recall anyone saying that Mario was one of the best players in the NFL, yet he was paid like one 

Well that's because you are all wrong and have no idea what you're talking about.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

He got a lot of sacks and wore red contact lenses. What the hell else do you want?

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Nope when Peyton was out there. They should of tried everything for QB vs Mario no matter what. QB driven league

Peyton Manning in Buffalo? The Mario Williams signing was thought to bring a certain credibility back to the Bills , but there was NO WAY Manning would ever have come to Buffalo. When he first was going to be a UFA, I was discussing it with buddies at work and said " He'll got to KC or DEN, it'll be the AFCW for sure" . He wasn't going to be in the NFC with his brother, first off. So it was AFC and those teams had strong rosters execept at QB. The division didn't have many good QB ps to stand in his way. The AFCE was out of the question because that would mean Brady twice a year just to secure a division title. The AFCW had no clear favorite and was the easiest path to the playoffs, where he'd take his chances on Brady in a playoff game. 

Super Mario was a really good signing while he was in B/lo the D was exceptional they just couldn't get the offense to do enough to win many games !!

That has seemed to be the fate of the Bills it's always one side of the ball is good & the other side is bad if they could pull it all together we  may stay a good team !!

Great production for the first few years even though we all knew he took plays off.

I think it was one of the rare times where a monster deal paid off, though it did end in ugly fashion.

My personal regard for the TBD community just plummeted.

Mario was a terrible signing in both foresight and hindsight. Buddy Nix paid an underachieving defensive lineman like a franchise quarterback. There should be nothing to debate. How many extra games did we win by giving Mario Freakin Williams a $100 million contract? He was our fourth-best defensive lineman in his best season.

Such a massive waste of cap space.

46 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

My personal regard for the TBD community just plummeted.

Mario was a terrible signing in both foresight and hindsight. Buddy Nix paid an underachieving defensive lineman like a franchise quarterback. There should be nothing to debate. How many extra games did we win by giving Mario Freakin Williams a $100 million contract? He was our fourth-best defensive lineman in his best season.

Such a massive waste of cap space.

Horrific take.

1. Mario's contract was not cap prohibitive. 

2. He was easily the best player on the team at the time of his signing and probably up til 2015. Our "fourth best defensive lineman" is so ridiculous I almost think you're trolling.

3. How many players had more sacks from 2012-2014 than Mario Williams?

4. His "$100M" contract was the sole largest defensive contract for one year, the year he signed it. Revis, Watt, and etc had all surpassed him by the time he was cut, as is the NFL norm.

5. The dead money was not even close to what happens around the league in bad contracts. Being able to cut Mario for only $7M in dead money when he had hit a wall is the sign of a good contract, not a bad one, to anyone who knows a lick about the NFL.

Try again.

Edited by jmc12290