Mock Draft 2.0

H2o

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I would be more than happy getting him at our spot or with a slight move up. Both he and Rosen are the most prepared to play sooner than the other highly touted prospects. The ideal situation is to get him with the 12th pick and then use the other high picks to bolster the roster. 

I won't be surprised if they move up with both picks to get a qb and lb then keep building the team around those two guys.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

1. Cleveland Browns - Josh Allen / QB / Wyoming - A polarizing figure that people are all over the board with. The contingent the Browns sent to Allen's Pro Day and the reports of his performance at this Pro Day was what sold me on this pick. Basically everyone in the organization was there. Mayock absolutely raves about this guy and the Browns have been showing interest for a long time. I think the Browns make this selection here despite everyone else saying it will be Darnold. 

2. New York Giants - Saquon Barkley / RB / Penn St. - Yes, Eli is getting up there in age. Yes, people say they love Darnold. Yes, they just traded away JPP. Yes, they had Chubb in for a private meeting. Still, the thought is to build around Eli. If you are going to build around Eli, and open up the whole offense, then you take the best RB prospect possibly since AP. Eli, OBJ, Shepherd, Marshall, Ingram, and Barkley would make one of the top skill groups in the NFL. It would also put them right back into the thick of things in the NFC. 

3. New York Jets - Baker Mayfield / QB / Oklahoma - Yes, Rosen and Darnold are still on the board. Yes, the Jets take Mayfield anyway. They have met with him at least 4 times, more than any of the other QB's in this draft class. Everyone thought they made the move up for Rosen, but I believe Mayfield has been their target all along and they felt they needed to leap Denver to ensure they got him. 

4. Cleveland Browns - Bradley Chubb / DE / NC State - The Browns get their QB at #1 and still get possibly the best defensive prospect in the draft. If Garrett can stay healthy then these two make one of the most fearsome sets of edge rushers in the AFC, maybe even the league. Time will tell, but the Browns are on the move up. 

5. Denver Broncos - Josh Rosen / QB / UCLA - John didn't think this would be his dilemma. Rosen or Darnold? A lot of people didn't see this coming. Who do you take? I think Elway goes with the most technically sound QB in this draft. He also has the luxury of letting him sit for a year behind Keenum if need be so he can get a complete grasp on the system. 

6. Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson / G / Notre Dame - Indy picks up all of those 2nd's and still gets the BEST OL prospect in this draft. The way to keep Luck healthy is to protect him. This is how you help to remedy that. 

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Minkah Fitzpatrick / S / Alabama - Tampa has shown quite a bit of interest in Fitzpatrick and this is an easy call if he is a available at #7. He will be an immediate impact player on that defense who needs a do everything type in the Secondary. This will help their plight facing Atl. and NO twice each season. 

8. Buffalo Bills (from Chicago) - Sam Darnold / QB / USC - I know, I know, "Darnold will never make it to #8",  "You're delusional", "Don't quit your day job", "This will never happen", "Mocks are stupid", "Unrealistic", blah, blah, blah. McShay's and Kiper's heads will explode on live TV if 3 QB's go in front of Darnold. I think it may happen and this move is realistic. We haven't been tied to Darnold like some of the other QB's in the draft, and he's not my first or second choice for that matter, but we would make this move. Picks #12, #56, and #187 get us here. We get a QB that has the potential to be the guy we have been looking for basically over 20 years now and keep #22 doing it. 

9. San Francisco 49ers - Derwin James / S / Florida St. - John Lynch knows Safety talent when he sees it. James is another top tier talent in this draft and SF needs Secondary help. This is another easy selection if James is on the board. 

10. Oakland Raiders - Roquan Smith / LB / Georgia - The Raiders are entering the second Jon Gruden tenure and Smith fits the Raiders mold of a football player. Gruden and McKenzie get the QB for their defense here. 

11. Miami Dolphins - Tremaine Edmunds / LB / Virginia Tech - The Dolphins will get Raekwon McMillan back this year and still have Alonso. You throw in Edmunds and this LB unit looks a lot better than in previous years. 

12. Chicago Bears (from Buffalo) - Denzel Ward / CB / Ohio St. - The Bears could use some OL help, but they could us some help opposite Kyle Fuller so this move makes too much sense not to happen. 

13. Washington Redskins - Vita Vea / DT / Washington - Vea has the potential to be in the DROY convocation if he lives up to his potential. The Skins have a glaring need at DT and Vea is the obvious solution at this point. 

14. Green Bay Packers - Mike Hughes / CB / UCF - Hughes is not only a CB, but an outstanding return man. He had 4 picks this past season and 11 passes defended. The Packers still have one of the weaker Secondaries in the NFL and this is another in the long list of picks trying to remedy that situation. 

15. Arizona Cardinals - Lamar Jackson / QB / Louisville - The Cardinals didn't have the fire power to move up for one of the top QB's. Here they take a guy who is an electric athlete they hope can be something more. They can't rely on Bradford to make it through the year and Glennon has shown nothing up to this point. Jackson will likely end up making starts in AZ at some point in 2018. 

16. Baltimore Ravens - Mike McGlinchey / OT / Notre Dame - The Ravens addressed their WR needs in FA and can now look to help the OL. McGlinchey is the best OT prospect in the class that is not as deep as recent years. Ozzie pulls the trigger here and now Baltimore has ND bookends. 

17. Los Angeles Chargers - Isaiah Wynn / OL / Georgia - The Chargers biggest weakness is the OL and Wynn can play anywhere/everywhere along it. He is one of the better prospects on the line in this draft, especially along the interior. 

18. Seattle Seahawks - Ronnie Harrison / S / Alabama - Harrison is a Safety prospect in the mold of Cam Chancellor. He loves knocking the snot out of WR's, TE's, and RB's alike. He is excellent against the run and functional in coverage. This would be a good landing spot for him. 

19. Dallas Cowboys - Rashaan Evans / LB / Alabama - Another year and the same old song with Cowboys. The defense is still lacking. The loss of Hitchens requires a top level talent replacement. Evans is that guy. If Lee can stay healthy then Evans, Lee, and Smith make a nice trio. 

20. Detroit Lions - Da'Ron Payne / DT / Alabama - Ngata is gone and the defense needs to improve. Patricia is likely going to install his own scheme. Payne and Robinson are both scheme flexible. They also played in a similar defense at Alabama. A nice start for the Lions. 

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Billy Price / OL / Ohio St. - Price suffered a pectoral injury at the Combine, but it wasn't a complete tear. I think he is probably the best offensive lineman on the board at this point and that is going to be a point of emphasis for the Bengals this year. 

22. Buffalo Bills - Leighton Vander Esch / LB / Boise St. - LVE is a good and athletic LB who would fit well in this defense. LB is the 2nd greatest need on this team outside of QB. He would immediately be in line for a starting role in the middle. 

23. Los Angeles Rams - Calvin Ridley / WR / Alabama - They lost Watkins to FA and take arguably the best WR in the draft here. Ridley is a good route runner, quick, and gets separation with relative ease. 

24. Carolina Panthers - Courtland Sutton / WR / SMU - The Panthers traded away Cam's favorite target in Benjamin. Now they replace him with another big target in the WR group. 

25. Tennessee Titans - Tim Settle / DT / Virginia Tech - The Titans will need a new NT and the previous one wasn't that great in the first place. Settle is stout against the run and pushes the pocket at times. He will serve well in Tennessee. 

26. Atlanta Falcons - Taven Bryan / DT / Florida - The Falcons defense still needs some upgrades and DT is one of those spots. Bryan is a nice, disruptive start.

27. New Orleans Saints - Hayden Hurst / TE / South Carolina - The Saints were flirting with Jimmy Graham in FA and are clearly looking for an upgrade at the position. There's not really much this team needs. I put Hurst here because he is the most complete TE in the draft. He doesn't need to be coached up on blocking and is a solid receiving threat as well. 

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Sam Hubbard / DE-OLB / Ohio St. - The Steelers grab one of the better edge rushing prospects in the draft. After grabbing Watt last year they grab another young pass rusher to help infuse some youth in the defense. 

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Kolton Miller / OT / UCLA - The Jags don't have many glaring weaknesses, if any at all. They could use some help on the OL at the tackle position though. Miller was Rosen's blindsided protector at UCLA and is a decent option at this point. 

30. Minnesota Vikings - Will Hernandez / G / UTEP - The Vikings only weakness is on the interior of that offensive line. Hernandez is one of the top G prospects in the draft and will fit well in Minnesota. 

31. New England Patriots - Orlando Brown / OT / Oklahoma - If it were not for his horrid Combine he would have come off the board in the early to mid 1st. BB sees him as Solder's replacement. He is a good player and will benefit from an NFL strength and conditioning program. 

32. Philadelphia Eagles - Sony Michel / RB / Georgia - Blount was allowed to walk in FA and Ajayi has battled various injuries throughout his career. Michel is an explosive back who can run as well catch the ball out of the backfield. Just another weapon in an already potent offense. 

Buffalo Bills Selections:

53. Harrison Phillips / DT / Stanford

65. James Washington / WR / Oklahoma St. 

96. Carlton Davis / CB / Auburn

121. Brandon Parker / OT / North Carolina A&T

166. Sean Welsh / G-C / Iowa 

That'd be amazing, and I'd eat my foot. Raw!!! 

As I'm not in the foot eating business, safe bet there is no way this materializes. 

Also, before smoke screen season the Bills were absolutely linked to Darnold. That thought seemed to hold true until Galko mentioned Rosen and the subsequent Allen chatter. 

Thank you for the time, and the entertainment but if one of the big pundits did this they'd be laughed at and accused of trying to generate clicks.

Trust me, I'd rather have Mayfield or Rosen and in that order. This is is just the way it fell. You can take either of the 3 Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield and pencil them in to the Bills at #8. It's just the fact that I have Darnold there so everyone is freaking out like a bunch of school girls who saw Justin Beiber walk down the hallway. :rolleyes: 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mannc said:

I absolutely could see Darnold sliding once teams realize that a guy who was a turnover machine, playing on a loaded team in perfect weather, is not someone to whom you should entrust the keys to your franchise.  And of course there is the long history of teams selecting USC quarterbacks and coming to regret it, despite the fact that they’ve run a pro set offense that allegedly prepares their QBs for NFL success.

Your post shows a nearly perfect ignorance of the USC situation. First off, three starters from 2016 O line were gone and had to be replaced. For the first few weeks, the line was in constant turmoil, players trying different positions, new guys being given a tryout, and so on. And then the injuries starting hitting. At one point, there were three third stringers starting. In the Ohio State game, Darnold, who's very good at escaping pressure, was hit 24 times!

And the two main receivers from 2016 were gone to the NFL so it took a few games before who the best new guys were got sorted out, and Darnold and the WRs began working well with each other. Once that started happening, the interceptions went way down. And for the record, 13 interceptions in 13 games isn't exactly a "turnover" machine, especially when you consider how poor the defense played at times (injuries again) forcing the offense to seemingly having to play high-risk offense game after game.

There are two things that are of concern: Darnold almost never played from under center; and he has a tendency to lose the ball. But as he's still only 20 and learning, I expect he'll correct both.

Edited by yungmack

6 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Your post shows a nearly perfect ignorance of the USC situation. First off, three starters from 2016 O line were gone and had to be replaced. For the first few weeks, the line was in constant turmoil, players trying different positions, new guys being given a tryout, and so on. And then the injuries starting hitting. At one point, there were three third stringers starting. In the Ohio State game, Darnold, who's very good at escaping pressure, was hit 24 times!

And the two main receivers from 2016 were gone to the NFL so it took a few games before who the best new guys were got sorted out, and Darnold and the WRs began working well with each other. Once that started happening, the interceptions went way down. And for the record, 13 interceptions in 13 games isn't exactly a "turnover" machine, especially when you consider how poor the defense played at times (injuries again) forcing the offense to seemingly having to play high-risk offense game after game.

There are two things that are of concern: Darnold almost never played from under center; and he has a tendency to lose the ball. But as he's still only 20 and learning, I expect he'll correct both.

Spare me. Living on the west coast,  I saw almost all of his games.  USC had a few injuries, but all teams do.  That program is stacked with 4 and 5 star kids, regardless of who graduated or was hurt.  They had more talent than just about every team they played.  

Darnold has an awful throwing motion and does not take care of the football.  He is perfectly positioned to carry on the USC QB tradition.  I’m praying he falls to the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

So Cleveland just gives up on Ogbah?

Ogbah has a total of 9.5 sacks in 2 years. Chubb is a better prospect than Garrett according to some. I think he'd be worth #4. Ogbah can serve as a rotational player. 

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

He was hurt most of last year though.  

He had a sack in 3 out of 10 games. Two against Detroit, one against Cincy, and one against Indy. A sack every 2.5 games is hardly tearing up. Chubb is clearly a better prospect. 

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

He had a sack in 3 out of 10 games. Two against Detroit, one against Cincy, and one against Indy. A sack every 2.5 games is hardly tearing up. Chubb is clearly a better prospect. 

Well the sad part is he was leading the team in sacks until he got injured LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

It's been reported that the Giants won't draft a QB unless Darnold is available.  So if Darnold is available, they'll draft him.

With good reason.  That would be a perfect situation for him to go to where he could sit behind Eli to work on the flaws in his game before taking the reins. 

4 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

It's been reported that the Giants won't draft a QB unless Darnold is available.  So if Darnold is available, they'll draft him.

I honestly don't believe that to be honest.  That might just be pressure on the Browns to take him so they can get Barkley.  In either case the Giants are getting the player they want.  They are getting Darnold, Barkley or Chubb.  This is why I don't think the #2 pick is even available.