Bring back Bump 'N Run

GreggTX

I like all the rule changes that protect players -- especially if they are "prone". Still, playing bump and run did not injure very many WR's. Now you get flagged for just breathing on them. OK, slight exaggeration. I think they put in the 5 yard rule just to open up the passing game because some fans prefer an aerial circus to football. I miss the old days. Let DB's play for gosh sakes. I love watching a brutal defense just stuff another team's offense all day. Even the announcers cry if the game isn't a high scoring affair. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Maybe then winning might be about more than jjust having a good QB and more about having a good roster.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love low scoring smash mouth games.  The Jags and steelers and Ravens had tough hard nose football that I enjoyed and other said was boring!

ps the bills are not set up for bump and run

10 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

I love low scoring smash mouth games.  The Jags and steelers and Ravens had tough hard nose football that I enjoyed and other said was boring!

ps the bills are not set up for bump and run

The Bills are set up for the stop, drop and roll.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I love watching a brutal defense just stuff another team's offense all day. Even the announcers cry if the game isn't a high scoring affair. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Nope. This old fan feels the same. I think the rules have amplified the importance of the QB to the detriment of the game. 

Depending on wind, lie, fairway or rough, hole location;  Bump and Run is the better choice.  Its always easier to get the ball rolling rather than judging a distance to the hole in the air!

Edited by KW95

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I like all the rule changes that protect players -- especially if they are "prone". Still, playing bump and run did not injure very many WR's. Now you get flagged for just breathing on them. OK, slight exaggeration. I think they put in the 5 yard rule just to open up the passing game because some fans prefer an aerial circus to football. I miss the old days. Let DB's play for gosh sakes. I love watching a brutal defense just stuff another team's offense all day. Even the announcers cry if the game isn't a high scoring affair. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Maybe then winning might be about more than jjust having a good QB and more about having a good roster.

If we trade up with the Giants,we will not have a good roster..we have no depth now at lb,wr and the secondary.Actually..we have one proven wr and outside of Milano...skeletons at linebacker.This team is going to suffer...

I get the safety issues, but agree with OP's premise. I'm not looking for a shift to make the game defensive-oriented, I love great play on both sides of the ball.  I'm just looking for a better balance.

I had to look this up to confirm the details from my cloudy memory, but I remembered watching a ridiculous MNF game between the Packers and Redskins where both teams were scoring at will. Turns out it was a 48-47 Packers win from 1983:

https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2013/10/1983-packers-defeat-redskins-in-48-47.html

Fun to watch at first, but then it turned into a joke as the game went on. That game was an aberration back then, nowadays it's not unexpected.

A lot of people thought this past Super Bowl was a great game, but with only one punt it was way too offensive oriented for my taste.  

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Preach !!!