EJ Gaines Signs with the Browns for 1 Year at $4M

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I know we signed Davis....and I expect him to be good

But come on....4 million for EJ Gaines?   You gotta make that happen Beane

It takes both sides. He’s smart to sign a 1 year deal where he will start. His market was beyond dead. 

33 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I was expecting we wouldn't be able to afford Gaines and he'd be playing somewhere else this year.  But I'm pretty disappointed the Bills weren't able to beat a 1 yr $4mil contract offer...  

Seriously.

1 year $4 mil?

That's pathetic we didn't beat that.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I was expecting we wouldn't be able to afford Gaines and he'd be playing somewhere else this year.  But I'm pretty disappointed the Bills weren't able to beat a 1 yr $4mil contract offer...  

Yeah, at that price I would have though the Bills could have resigned him as the Nickel back and CB depth.  Hell, 2 year $8M deal would have been good, especially with Vontae here on only a 1 year deal.  

But with his injury issues, I am not gonna fret this by any means.  Just feels like a pretty good deal to get him on a 1 year $4M deal.  But we still have a strong secondary (assuming no one gets hurt though).

The Bills may well have offered something very similar prior to going out and getting Davis.  Perhaps not though.  He was out of the lineup quite a bit, hence the $4m plus incentives contract.  The BIlls have their starting corners.  Looking for nickel and depth at this point, and they are not going to pay $4m + for that, in a cap strapped year.  Too many other holes. They can probably do better than Johnson, but it would not surprise me if he was back.  The will draft one in the first three rounds.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Looks like we'll be drafting a CB at 12

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

:lol: That would be awesome.

Dick Jauron approved.

55 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Reality is if we signed him he would have got hurt.  Now he will make the Pro Bowl.

This has been closer to the truth, for sure.

He probably priced himself out. That is why Beane made the move for Davis. We probably moved on at that point. 

The fact that his price was so low says nothing about Beane missing out. We probably gave him an offer he thought was low and he likely got less on the market. 

• Like (+1) 1

Don't just assume we could not afford it. It might just be that the GM disagrees with you and went in a different direction. I like EJ Gaines but I also trust that if the team moved on then there were reasons beyond just money.

They moved on from a lot of guys that the fans didn't want to see gone. It didn't hurt the team. I'm not worried.

Edited by Lfod

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It takes both sides. He’s smart to sign a 1 year deal where he will start. His market was beyond dead. 

It's surprising to me. By the end of the season I honestly felt he was the key player on the team. If he played, we'd win, if he didn't I thought we'd lose. Hopefully, we won't miss him too much.

They seem to be hoping injured players like Davis and Murphy will be good again and players like Lotu , Ivory, Bodine, etc will improve their poor play of the last few seasons. Hope it works out.

Cockrell just signed today for 2yr at 3.4 per., he has been playing well and can cover slot or outside. Was hoping they were giving him a look.

I don't get these reactions. I'm sure Beane most definitely offered him a contract with playing time incentives that could have exceeded 4 million at the very least.

What probably happened was we signed Davis because Gaines over--valued himself; once we got Vontae, that shut the door on him returning, even if we did offer a contract with at least 4 million. EJ's market was dead silent, so he got a lot less than he wanted, especially likely from what he and his agent were asking from the Bills before negotiations with other teams.