Was breaking the drought worth it?

Was breaking the playoff drought worth it considering how much draft capital we nee to burn now to get our QB of choice?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Breaking the drought will end up being very expensive in terms of draft picks if we do trade up. Should we have tanked instead?

• Was totally worth it to break the drought.
    • Not worth it, we could have vastly improved whole team and gotten our QB if we tanked.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That feeling was worth it.  We would’ve never gone 0-16, so the 1st pick was never going to happen.  We’re in a position where we might be able to get the 2nd pick and the QB we like most.    It may cost more, but that feeling is worth some draft picks in my world 

I feel ya. Like I said, I'm in the opposite line of thinking and hope we get OUR guy with 12. Either way we are sitting pretty come draft time and I'll sit mesmerized by the telly for atleast the first 3 rounds.

11 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

I feel ya. Like I said, I'm in the opposite line of thinking and hope we get OUR guy with 12. Either way we are sitting pretty come draft time and I'll sit mesmerized by the telly for atleast the first 3 rounds.

That’s the best case scenario.  I also hope that we get our guy at 12, I just don’t think any of the big 4 are going to fall to 12.  If one does, the dolphins will assuredly draft that QB (imo, tannehills restructure means nothing if josh allen or mayfield fall to 11) or trade down with a team that wants them.  If a team wants a QB, they know they have to get ahead of the Bills.  I can’t see a scenario in which one falls.  Jackson, I’m fine with at 12 I just don’t think he’s the QB the Bills like most.  Or even close to most.  With mccarron in the fold, I can’t see jackson winning the qb competition for at least a year.  Which would be good for him.  Draft Jackson and build the team up in one draft is fine by me.  

If we don’t pull the trigger on a trade up for the top 4 QBs, I really hope, we can land Roquan, Edmonds, or Vea and then Jackson at 22, but thats just too good to be true.  Might have to trade back up ahead of the cardinals to get both

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s the best case scenario.  I also hope that we get our guy at 12, I just don’t think any of the big 4 are going to fall to 12.  If one does, the dolphins will assuredly draft that QB (imo, tannehills restructure means nothing if josh allen or mayfield fall to 11) or trade down with a team that wants them.  If a team wants a QB, they know they have to get ahead of the Bills.  I can’t see a scenario in which one falls.  Jackson, I’m fine with at 12 I just don’t think he’s the QB the Bills like most.  Or even close to most.  With mccarron in the fold, I can’t see jackson winning the qb competition for at least a year.  Which would be good for him.  Draft Jackson and build the team up in one draft is fine by me.  

If we don’t pull the trigger on a trade up for the top 4 QBs, I really hope, we can land Roquan, Edmonds, or Vea and then Jackson at 22, but thats just too good to be true.  Might have to trade back up ahead of the cardinals to get both

Beanes heavy with the Smokescreen. I really have no idea who they covet. The only player I don't think is on our radar is Baker Mayfield. I like him and hope they don't take his competiveness as arrogance but McD really values respect. Respecting others and yourself. Hope the crotch grab and other antics didn't leave a bad impression with them.

I'm willing to admit I'm in the dark... but I love it.

24 minutes ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

Beanes heavy with the Smokescreen. I really have no idea who they covet. The only player I don't think is on our radar is Baker Mayfield. I like him and hope they don't take his competiveness as arrogance but McD really values respect. Respecting others and yourself. Hope the crotch grab and other antics didn't leave a bad impression with them.

I'm willing to admit I'm in the dark... but I love it.

Haha!!  Yeah I love it too. Love me some Beane.  Sucks that I think about this too many times a day all for nothing.  We really won’t have any idea until the draft card is turned in. Even if we trade up....who is he targeting and who isn’t he impressed?  No idea.  And I love it

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Haha!!  Yeah I love it too. Love me some Beane.  Sucks that I think about this too many times a day all for nothing.  We really won’t have any idea until the draft card is turned in. Even if we trade up....who is he targeting and who isn’t he impressed?  No idea.  And I love it

I always try to bring myself back to the Tre pick last year. That is the type of player he wants to a T. Production, Coachability, Leadership. He's tossed out his ticket on the hype train for any player. There were other picks he could've gone with but that was the safest. I still think Zay could end up a good player, lots of pressure for him to perform last year right out the gate. But again, production... Zay had it in college, an NFL pedigree and was close enough to our pick to reason for the trade up. He is NOT gonna bet the farm. We needed that type of thinker making the calls for a long time.

Absolutely it was worth it!  I was soooo sick of seeing that graphic on the screen about our 17yr playoff drought. The Bills has the longest playoff drought in ALL OF SPORTS. Getting rid of that stigma felt amazing. 

It wasnt Just about breaking the drought either. McDermott made huge strides in breaking a losing culture that has plagued the Bills for well over a decade. That is HUGE. 

Plus, it showed that we very well may finally have a top end coach. He broke the drought with a team less talented than other less successful Buffalo coaches have had. 

8 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I'm glad you guys had your fun with the weak playoff game with 3 points scored. When you see Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen in the HOF will you feel the same way? We weren't a good team, there was no reason to try and win year 1 with a bunch of bad players

This will be a fun thread to go back to, especially:

1.) if we puss out on a QB and the Jets and other teams get theirs while we wait for the fall guy....

2.) if we trade a ****-ton of picks to move up...picks we could have kept btw...

I get the 17 years and the showing of it, blah blah...one and done. The4 focus should have been on the long=term and not the short imo...but what's done is done...

• Like (+1) 2

Shows a good coach can do in the NFL.  Made the playoffs and traded the best Wr on the roster, starting Cb, and former All Pro Dt.  They were old and in cap trouble.  Beane cleaned the slate and has a bunch of picks.  Idk what you consider tanking but trading players that currently contribute for cap releif and future picks would fall under that umbrella.  

Looking at the way the draft is lining up, I am curious to see this organizations approach.  I think to get any of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Jackson Buffalo will need to trade up.  Comes down to the difference of Jackson and who will be at 2.  I do not think it will be massive.  Not 3 first rders massive.  I think Beane trades to 6,7,8 range get Jackson and keeps 22.  

If Peguala forces the issues for someone at 2 I think a Buffalo will pay a big price to move.  The million dollar question is will NYG think a Qb is worth 3 first rders and a 2nd and 3rd. Thats what Buffalos 12th hr offer will be if they want to move.  I think Buffalo will want Allen or Darnold and will pay to land them.  Option 2 is Jackson for a third the price.  Swap picks and 65.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

1.) if we puss out on a QB and the Jets and other teams get theirs while we wait for the fall guy....

2.) if we trade a ****-ton of picks to move up...picks we could have kept btw...

I get the 17 years and the showing of it, blah blah...one and done. The4 focus should have been on the long=term and not the short imo...but what's done is done...

Yep. And of course I enjoyed it when we made it. By then it was too late. Beane didn't finish what he started in the preseason. All he had to do was trade Tyrod and Shady, and while he was at it Glenn and maybe Hughes. The rest would have worked itself out. But too late now. It was fun to break the drought but I would have much preferred having a top 5 pick, getting a franchise QB, and keeping all of our draft capital

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

There’s 2 sides to this ya know? It’ll also be real fun to come back to this if the bills get their man with a smart trade and still have some picks to fill out areas. 

I know the 23 characters that voted “no” have a hard time grasping it but there are other ways of turning a franchise around other than tanking.....mind blowing right? 

But im sure if those said people weren’t happy with a playoff berth with a first year staff after massive roster turnover, aquiring picks to set up a move, and cap relief.... not much would make them happy other than their way or the highway. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Yep. And of course I enjoyed it when we made it. By then it was too late. Beane didn't finish what he started in the preseason. All he had to do was trade Tyrod and Shady, and while he was at it Glenn and maybe Hughes. The rest would have worked itself out. But too late now. It was fun to break the drought but I would have much preferred having a top 5 pick, getting a franchise QB, and keeping all of our draft capital

I would have Brownsed it. They are in a better position than us. I said it last year and it's still true...

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

There’s 2 sides to this ya know? It’ll also be real fun to come back to this if the bills get their man with a smart trade and still have some picks to fill out areas. 

I know the 23 characters that voted “no” have a hard time grasping it but there are other ways of turning a franchise around other than tanking.....mind blowing right? 

giphy.gif

It starts and ends with QB. Every other position can be moved around interchangeably and found in numerous places. Franchise QBs elevate the team around them....

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would have Brownsed it. They are in a better position than us. I said it last year and it's still true...

giphy.gif

It starts and ends with QB. Every other position can be moved around interchangeably and found in numerous places. Franchise QBs elevate the team around them....

And yet you put so much stock into the picks we could have kept.... they have enough picks to make a move for a guy and still have some nice picks.

...... which you shouldn’t care so much about after talking about how important the qb is. 

Bottom line tanking isn’t the only way to set yourself up for the future and the bills are literally present day proof of that and how they have worked things since last April. It’s odd a very small handful of you really just refuse to see that. 

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

And yet you put so much stock into the picks we could have kept.... they have enough picks to make a move for a guy and still have some nice picks.

...... which you shouldn’t care so much about after talking about how important the qb is. 

Bottom line tanking isn’t the only way to set yourself up for the future and the bills are literally present day proof of that and how they have worked things since last April. It’s odd a very small handful of you really just refuse to see that. 

What I put stock into is actually being in position to draft the QB and not hope that a bounty of picks is enough to do just that. Had we actually stunk last year, we may have been able to draft another blue chipper with a QB means:

QB+ blue chipper > just QB

Fact of the matter is, the team is being torn down and Hughes & Shady will be moved soon, just as TT and Glenn were. I would have done it all in one shot last year, because you knew Allen was staying, plus you knew Darnold & Rosen were all in the draft this year. So yes, I would have made those moves last year as well...The half measures keep you in the mid round purgatory we have been in for 20+ years...stupid idea

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

A lot of good that did him....

11 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

i never gave a crap about breaking the drought just to break the drought when entering the season everyone was expecting it be a great draft for QB’s. 

We we all saw it coming. 

Just for you ... F the draft and F this yea's "great draft for QB's" ... and especially F the idiots who think the NFL season is simply a prelude to the NFL draft.

BTW 89% of Bills posters who voted on your poll agree with me.  ROTFL.

• Like (+1) 1