Highest Trade-up Compensation

Brand J

Can anyone recall the richest package of draft picks ever exchanged for the right to trade up? It's rumored for the Bills to move to #2, they'd have to give picks #12, #22, #53, #65, AND a 2019 1st round pick. Has any team ever traded THREE first round picks? The 2011 Julio Jones trade was the richest I can remember.

ATL received: #6 pick in the draft

CLE received: #27 pick in the draft, 2011 2nd round pick, 2011 4th round pick, 2012 1st round pick, 2012 4th round pick

Looking back at the Mark Sanchez trade:

NYJ received: #5 pick in the draft

CLE received: #17 pick in the draft, 2nd round pick (#52), plus three marginal players - DE Kenyon Coleman, QB Brett Ratliff, and DB Abram Elam

Just trying to put this potential trade into context...

I believe it's RG3 still in "modern" history

2012 #2

for

2012 1st (#6) / 2012 2nd / 2013 1st / 2014 1st

The Herschel Walker trade is still probably all time, but it's pretty clear teams were clueless back then:

Walker / 90 3rd / 90 5th / 90 10th / 91 3rd

for

90 1st - 2nd - 6th / 91 1st - 2nd / 92 2nd - 3rd / 93 1st

• Like (+1) 1

This is why I'm starting to think there's no way Beane trades with Giants.  Two 1sts this year and a 1st next year (Vegas has Bills as 4th worst odds to win Super Bowl next year) would probably be the most trade capital ever given up.  Can't see Beane making that trade for any of these QB's.  

Two firsts in the same year is a serious trade offer, even for #2. I think those plus our second next year or third this year should be our limit.

If NYG want a QB, there’s no way they’re trading anyway.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is why I'm starting to think there's no way Beane trades with Giants.  Two 1sts this year and a 1st next year (Vegas has Bills as 4th worst odds to win Super Bowl next year) would probably be the most trade capital ever given up.  Can't see Beane making that trade for any of these QB's.  

It's nowhere near the most capital given up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Herschel Walker trade is still probably all time, but it's pretty clear teams were clueless back then:

Walker / 90 3rd / 90 5th / 90 10th / 91 3rd

for

90 1st - 2nd - 6th / 91 1st - 2nd / 92 2nd - 3rd / 93 1st

There was a pretty good 30 for 30 mini episode on this trade. Worth checking out

Edited by Carey Bender
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's nowhere near the most capital given up.

You just posted the RG3 trade was most given up in modern history.  The Bills three 1st rounders would be equal or more than what Redskins gave up because one of their 1st rounders was 2 years out.  If every year out gets discounted by a round, that's a 3rd rounder.  The difference between 6 and 12 might make it a wash, but 12 and 22 this year and a likely top 10 pick next year would be right up there with most capital given up.  

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You just posted the RG3 trade was most given up in modern history.  The Bills three 1st rounders would be equal or more than what Redskins gave up because one of their 1st rounders was 2 years out.  If every year out gets discounted by a round, that's a 3rd rounder.  The difference between 6 and 12 might make it a wash, but 12 and 22 this year and a likely top 10 pick next year would be right up there with most capital given up.  

You lost me at 6 and 12 might be a wash.

If 6 and 12 was a wash, we'd be at #3 right now with still holding a 2nd rounder and our 1st next year.

34 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

You lost me at 6 and 12 might be a wash.

If 6 and 12 was a wash, we'd be at #3 right now with still holding a 2nd rounder and our 1st next year.

Next years 1sts cancel out.  So you're left with 6, 38, and 65(1st rounder 2 years out) versus 12 and 22.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Next years 1sts cancel out.  So you're left with 6, 38, and 65(1st rounder 2 years out) versus 12 and 22.  

2 years out does not turn a 1st into a 3rd.

What you are attempting to argue is ridiculous.  Anyone would take #6, #38, a 1st 2 years out over 12 / 22.

24 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

2 years out does not turn a 1st into a 3rd.

What you are attempting to argue is ridiculous.  Anyone would take #6, #38, a 1st 2 years out over 12 / 22.

What's it worth then?  For a GM who's not sure he's gonna be around in 2 years, it's probably worth even less than 65th pick right now.