Breer: Lack of QBs in '19 Draft Putting Pressure on Teams to Get Theirs Now

At first the deal breaker for me was the first rounder on top of the two first this year (to get to the 2 spot roughly)

But I thought about it more and I think the Bills just should just go for it, even if they have to give up next years first.

No sense drafting another Shaq Lawson type player, or a Gilmore, or Watkins, or settle and pick an EJ Manuel type QB. (I get these have nothing to do with Beane)

If the Giants would accept 3 firsts and a 2nd (which I think they would), then just go for the home run and take the best QB available

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

I just can't see the Giants taking a QB.

They can get two impact players from the #2 and #34 pick to put with their FA acquisitions and getting Beckham back healthy. 

Why can't Case Keenum be the long term solution?

He's 30 years old...

And I know Miami and Arizona are interested, but are either of them in a position to move up in the draft? I don't see it. 

If a team is not afraid to go all in, they can easily do it. Would the giants say no to the Cardinals if they offered David Johnson, two first and a second? What is a QB worth to your franchise? ODB and David Johnson with Eli for 2-3 more years. Fix the rest of your team and open one last window with Eli at the helm

How much does winning increase the value of the franchise? How important does the team think a QB is to winning? Will those other players do the same? 

Giants have all the leverage here, the jets knew what they were doing too

Edited by buffalover4life

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

This seems to be part of the QB hype machine pushed by the sports media to keep interest -- and anxiety -- among football fans high.  Since 2000, most drafts have only produced 1 decent NFL starting QB (at least on a Cutler-Flacco-Dalton-Tannehill level) from the first round.  Occasionally, drafts have produced no quality starters or multiple starters.  In some drafts, especially recently, teams have found starting QBs after the first round.

I really don't think NFL scouting departments are paying much attention to 2019 prospects at present, either.  They have enough on their plates getting their 2018 draft boards put together to be worrying about 2019.  :doh: 

Strongly disagree.

When a team that isn't necessarily ultra needy at QB is deciding if they should take a QB high this year they can afford to weigh more options.

One option is how a guy like Mike White would compare to next year's QB crop.  Let's say for the sake of argument they decided Nelson was their guy and still want to upgrade QB. After Nelson is the round 1 pick they then can make the call if they should take a player like White this year and let him sit or wait until next year. To do this there has to be at least a fair amount of knowledge on the guys coming out in '19.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The 2013 draft class greets you with a Big Hello!  :lol:

Come on.   That's an outlier.   

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=QB&type=position

=========================================================================

EDIT:    Actually, looking at that list, I retract my statement!!!    smh...

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I just can't see the Giants taking a QB.

They can get two impact players from the #2 and #34 pick to put with their FA acquisitions and getting Beckham back healthy. 

Why can't Case Keenum be the long term solution?

He's 30 years old...

And I know Miami and Arizona are interested, but are either of them in a position to move up in the draft? I don't see it. 

I actually agree with you.

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility though.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Bupkis.   There are 1-2 QBs every year, so 2019 will likely be a 'typical' year.    The fact there are four, maybe 5 in this draft class is what stands out...   

1-2 ain't enough to go around........which is the point..........there are usually 10 teams that would take a QB if they had a chance at a good prospect in any given first round.

These prospects aren't secrets to NFL teams..........they've been tracking them since HS..........2019 looks awful.......2020 has 2-3 potential guys......2021 right now projects a bit like this year wrt depth of prospects, IMO..........very promising group of QB's entering college this year........but that's 4 drafts down the road.

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

Were people drooling for Nassib, Barkley, Geno  and EJ?

Actually yes, they were. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

So the Broncos have already given up on Paxton Lynch, a first round pick who’s barely played? 

Another guy people here wanted. Oh and how's Chad Kelly doing?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

13 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

They won't be saying that after Haskins is done next year.  :wub:

Haskins? -OSU's Haskins?  He still has to secure the starting Job at OSU. doesn't he?

I would not underestimate a kid like Malik Rosier from the U, or Missouri's Drew Lock, or Boise's Brett Rypien... There's a lot of potential there, that scouts are too LAZY to observe... Everyone wants a ready-made QB... NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED... I think people will be surprised at the outcome of this year's QB Derby.

Edited by #34fan

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I still have a hard time seeing Elway pass on a QB he likes, but by the same token I think they recognize their oline has been horrendous for several years, preventing them from having any sort of run game for several years and not allowing a QB any time to do much of anything.  I could see them saying Lynch hasn't had time for a fair evaluation and Keenum is the guy for now anyway, let's actually build up a running game and see what we have with either guy before we take a guy who is going to sit all year.

You got the whole DEN situation exactly right.  The OL is very bad.  Most DEN fans want Elway to get a good OL and roll with Keenum/Lynch/Kelly while

the D still has something left.  Lot's want Quenton Nelson at 5 or best CB.  It may come down to which QB(s) are left at 5 but I'm starting to think

Elway does not pick a QB.  Whoever is QB the OL has to get a lot better both in pass protection and the running game.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If Lynch were any good, he'd be starting heading into his 3rd season.  Tannehill has plateaued and I can easily see them investing in a 1st round QB to develop with nothing behind him.   

Lynch was picked with the thought he had to sit the 1st year.  He got hurt a couple of times his 2nd season.  The thing about Lynch is when he has some time

to pass he is pretty good.  When under pressure all the time he is pretty bad.  His stat line is 128 attempts with 18 sacks and 4 fumbles.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

So the Broncos have already given up on Paxton Lynch, a first round pick who’s barely played? 

Not yet IMO.  If Elway was all-in on drafting a QB he could of kept Siemian (cheaper BU better scrambler) and dealt Lynch for a pick.  This is another reason

most Donkey Fans think it's OL/DB.

This is the thinking here in Colorado, FWIW.

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Next eyar there will be the same threads and same arguments about moving up to take QB X.  And the year after that.  And the year after that.  And on and on and on

Absolutely true.

10 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Were people drooling for Nassib, Barkley, Geno  and EJ?

Yes, they were ... and they were drooling for the likes of Leinart, Quinn, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, etc too.  Just because some media "experts" claim to like some collegiate QB prospect, there will be fans acting like that QB is the second coming of Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck ... and glossing over serious faults.

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

Come on.   That's an outlier.   

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=QB&type=position

=========================================================================

EDIT:    Actually, looking at that list, I retract my statement!!!    smh...

he

2013 is only rare because there was only 1 QB was taken in the first round, and he was a bust.  Usually there's more than 1 QB taken in the first round.  All of the first round QBs  failing is uncommon but not unheard of.

-- Since 2000,  only 1 QB was taken in 2000, 2001, and 2013.

-- All of the first round QBs turning out as busts happened in 2002 (3), 2007 (2), and 2013 (1).  2014 might also join the club if Bortles doesn't step up and Bridgewater can't successfully come back from his devastating injury.

The sad fact is that whether a draft produces 1 first rounder or 4, generally only 1 or 2 QBs from each draft finds as much success as a Jay Cutler or Ryan Tannehill, and some of those successful QBs come from rounds other than the first. 

25 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Absolutely true.

Yes, they were ... and they were drooling for the likes of Leinart, Quinn, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, etc too.  Just because some media "experts" claim to like some collegiate QB prospect, there will be fans acting like that QB is the second coming of Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck ... and glossing over serious faults.

They talked about the QBs dissected them, but no one thought they would go top ten and most felt none even 1st round talent. So if you define that as drooling ok. But this year is different he draft will prove it when 4 go top ten and 5 probably go before EJ was picked. 

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

They talked about the QBs dissected them, but no one thought they would go top ten and most felt none even 1st round talent. So if you define that as drooling ok. But this year is different he draft will prove it when 4 go top ten and 5 probably go before EJ was picked. 

This isn't true at all. 

Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Jimmy Clausen were all guys who were projected numerous times as first round picks. 

A lot of Bills fans would have been happy with any of them as our 1st rounder the years those guys came out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This isn't true at all. 

Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Jimmy Clausen were all guys who were projected numerous times as first round picks. 

A lot of Bills fans would have been happy with any of them as our 1st rounder the years those guys came out. 

Mel thought they were good, NFL teams obviously not so much. 

But, but, but... "Wait until next year to draft a QB! There's no sure-thing in this draft class!" is the favorite line of 95% of Bills fans come draft time.

Year after year, they say next year's class is the one. Then the time comes, they get cold feet since they don't see the next Joe Montana, then decide failing to ever get a franchise QB but not drafting a bust, is better than trying to draft one at all, because hey, he might not be Tom Brady....so why even try?

They fail to realize that eventually it'll get so bad, we get stuck NEEDING to draft a QB no matter what, and get stuck with someone like EJ Manuel as our only option because everyone sucks balls.

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

This isn't true at all. 

A lot of  bills fans were also happy with TT - so what's your point? Other than lots of Bills fans are not good at identifying/seeing QB talent...

• Like (+1) 2