New Rule Changes & Bylaws Adopted for 2018 at Owners Meetings - Helmet Lowering Rule Also Adopted

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Proposed Rule Changes for 2018 to be Voted on at Owners Meetings

#9. Reminds me of the Bills @ Pats a screw job in the late 90s. But it took a playoff game in 2017 to propose a rule change. End of regulation, or in overtime, it's a walk off TD. 

There's a crazy story about a guy that had a 10 game (iirc) parlay squandered that day, all because of the screw job, but more specifically, the rule to make the players kick the PAT or go for 2. Since the Bills "just gave it to them", the Pats went for the easy 2, which was the difference in the man covering the spread in the final game of the day/night. I'll try to find the link and edit in in...

Edit: here's the link

http://www.profootballweekly.com/lists/2017/11/29/c3eb88f0b74949878d62de0cfde99f2d/index.xml?page=1

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

On 3/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, whatdrought said:

I wonder if #7 is a result of Gronk.

I think #4 and #7 are applicable to Gronk.

4.) (From the Los Angeles Chargers) 
Expands reviewable plays to include fouls for roughing the passer and fouls against players in a defenseless posture.

7.) (From the Competition Committee) 
Authorizes the designated member of the Officiating department to instruct on-field game officials to disqualify a player for a flagrant non-football act when a foul for that act is called on the field.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Expands reviewable plays to include fouls for roughing the passer and fouls against players in a defenseless posture.

Authorizes the designated member of the Officiating department to instruct on-field game officials to disqualify a player for a flagrant non-football act when a foul for that act is called on the field.

The Gronk hit was not flagged IIRC.   

I remember the Bills getting flags but not Gronk. 

As discussed this may apply to a “targeting” rule.    Or are they the same thing? 

On a review they can ADD flags if they choose.

I find #7 interesting but the section in RED is wrong - it is based on statistics and there is no way to prove that the scheduling rules are cause of issue.

7.) (From the San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals, and Los Angeles Chargers)
Without the consent of the team impacted, no team will be scheduled to play more than three away games with a scheduled kickoff time prior to 1 p.m. in the time zone of their home stadium. With three Pacific teams, each potentially playing four such games this season, this rule would allow for only up to to three total games for each of them to be played in the Eastern or Central time zone during the late afternoon slot if they were not selected by the networks to be there already. In some years, each Pacific team has five or six potential morning body clock games. According to the proposal, current scheduling rules can result in a single team playing up to six away games with an “inherent disadvantage” (body clock) while their divisional opponents may only have one such game, and playing in the early Sunday time slot after long travel reduces the win rate for the road team from 45.2-percent to 33.5-percent.

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Kinda like how they review plays for potential targeting fouls in College football. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to New Rule Changes & Bylaws Adopted for 2018 at Owners Meetings