Darby trade

1 hour ago, McBean said:

We got a 3rd rounder for a guy who got torched all last season.

What are you talking about?

schwartz blitzes a lot. Thus putting his CB on an island, and he knows that. There aren't many CB in the league that are that great man v man. Schwartz knows his CB are going to get beat. Its risk v reward, and obviously the reward is much great. Man in the NFL with a good QB it total advantage to the WR. 

On 3/22/2018 at 8:21 AM, dbflaBill said:

My point is holding on to him till now, and trading him now would be more valuable than getting a third round pick... Darby being part of a trade package to get into position for a top QB is more valuable than the third round pick that they have. 

You can't have it both ways.  If Darby doesn't fit the scheme, his value doesn't increase.  Additionally, he may have gotten injured which essentially decreases his trade value to about zero.

We're also glossing over how much value the BILLS are currently putting on the culture.  Darby isn't known for his character or being the most prepared guy.  McDermott and Beane aren't going to keep guys like that around because it makes them look like hypocrites.

This is the NFL.  You strike when there's a deal to be had. 

41 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You can't have it both ways.  If Darby doesn't fit the scheme, his value doesn't increase.  Additionally, he may have gotten injured which essentially decreases his trade value to about zero.

We're also glossing over how much value the BILLS are currently putting on the culture.  Darby isn't known for his character or being the most prepared guy.  McDermott and Beane aren't going to keep guys like that around because it makes them look like hypocrites.

This is the NFL.  You strike when there's a deal to be had. 

How do you know all this? He wasnt prepared, he didnt fit the culture, didnt fit the scheme? You know none of this. Its the spin the local media put on it, and what the Bills said to make the trade look good. 

Just now, dbflaBill said:

How do you know all this? He wasnt prepared, he didnt fit the culture, didnt fit the scheme? You know none of this. Its the spin the local media put on it, and what the Bills said to make the trade look good. 

How do you know it didn't?  We all get it by now, you like Darby.

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How do you know it didn't?  We all get it by now, you like Darby.

Exactly.  No one but dbflabill knows exactly what happened. :rolleyes:

Here's a hint: stop worrying about players who the Bills jettisoned last year.  They proved to be the correct moves since the team (finally) made the playoffs. 

Like him or not, its not my point. The secondary was good last year, but I believe he would have more trade value now than what the Bills got last year. Hes a more valuable trade chip now than the third the Bills got. Didnt EJ visit with the Browns? Therefore they are looking for a CB. They'd potentially value Darby more in a trade than whatever they could get in the third round.

I like the conjecture game, too, so here goes. If we had kept Darby, he would have been exposed in a scheme not suited for him, would have lost his starting job out of training camp and seen his playing time eventually decrease to just special teams as a result, and thus would have far less trade value and we’d just end up waiving him after finding no trading partners. There is no end to the scenarios we can create after the fact. 

Simple fact is, our secondary had its best season in a while without him so it’s a stretch for me to believe he would have contributed to the point of increasing his trade value to anything more than the 3rd rounder we received. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dbflaBill said:

1.  I saw enough of Darby in college to know that he's not a zone guy.

2.  I know enough about Darby's college history to know that he's had some skirmishes away from the field, including refusing to testify about Jamies Winston's sexual assault problem. 

3.  I know that his play regressed from his rookie season and that he has now suffered injuries 3 seasons in a row that forced him to miss games.

You're surmising that he'd be worth more in a trade to the BILLS right now, which isn't based on a single fact.  Given that he started fewer than half the season last year due to injury, he's not worth even the third we got for him. 

If you didn't see the drastic improvement the BILLS' secondary made last season despite the lack of a credible pass rush, that's your problem.   They somehow managed to do that without Darby AND got a starting WR and 3rd round pick.

Feel free to keep championing that winning theory.

15 hours ago, K-9 said:

Of course, he has all the athleticism necessary, although, as said earlier, he doesn't fit McD's preference for tall CBs with length. 

As to the cerebral aspects of the position, CB is by far the easiest position on the field to master; the playbook section for CBs is the shortest in the book. Especially where man coverage is concerned. But zones do require an entire mastery of the various coverage areas and knowing where everyone else is in relation to your position. Proper depths and drop angles are critical as well, kind of akin to a wideout that needs to run precise routes in relation to all the other receivers and needs to make sure his mistaken routes aren't running defenders into another area, etc. 

I would agree that CB has the easiest playbook to memorize but I would not say it is the easiest to master cerebrally 

it is a very tough position mentally, much more than RB.

I have a lot of experience playing and coaching both and RB is way easier mentally especially when it come to film study...

As a corner I had to watch so much film to be prepared... what is the tendencies of the other team? What do they like to do out of the I or Bunch Gun... What route combinations do they like to run on 3 and long , what about 3rd and short... what do they like doing on 2nd down... #81 doesn't like press but 88 feeds off it 

the preparation in the RB room was not as mentally tough. Sure the playbook was bigger but RB is a very instinctive position... you either are born with the gift of hitting holes and making people miss or you don't have it 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would agree that CB has the easiest playbook to memorize but I would not say it is the easiest to master cerebrally 

I have a lot of experience playing and coaching both and RB is way easier mentally especially when it come to film study...

As a corner I had to watch so much film to be prepared... what is the tendencies of the other team? What do they like to do out of the I or Bunch Gun... What route combinations do they like to run on 3 and long , what about 3rd and short... what do they like doing on 2nd down... #81 doesn't like press but 88 feeds off it 

the preparation in the RB room was not as mentally tough. Sure the playbook was bigger but RB is a very instinctive position... you either are born with the gift of hitting holes and making people miss or you don't have it 

a RB can almost get away with out watching film. There biggest thing is understand that weeks blocking scheme, and who the run game is attacking.  CB needs to study the WR for tells they give as to what route they may be running, where they line up may give away their routs. Need to understand that if 1 does this than 2 will do this. Doesnt take much football IQ to play RB. In fact its probably the 1 position where ive encountered the most players that really dont even like football. 

1 minute ago, dbflaBill said:

a RB can almost get away with out watching film. There biggest thing is understand that weeks blocking scheme, and who the run game is attacking.  CB needs to study the WR for tells they give as to what route they may be running, where they line up may give away their routs. Need to understand that if 1 does this than 2 will do this. Doesnt take much football IQ to play RB. In fact its probably the 1 position where ive encountered the most players that really dont even like football. 

I have met plenty of players of all positions that don't truly love the game but RB and WR definitely have the highest majority of guys I've met that don't have a true passion for the game 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't necessarily disagree but I don't equate cerebral capacity with mental toughness, which is another way of saying CBs need short memories. 

I'm only looking at it in terms of the sheer amount of playbook material to master. Of course they need to dedicate themselves to film study but so does every player at any position that's committed to the game. It's the old "the closer you line up to the ball, the more you need to know" school of thought. I'm certainly not calling CBs dummies, either. Intelligence lends itself to all positions, after all. And CBs still have to be the best athletes on the field, too, as the sheer physical requirements of the position demand. 

My main point is that mastering zone coverage is a helluva lot more demanding than man to man principals. 

3 hours ago, Buff76ers said:

You have to ask yourself one question, was Darby better than Gains? IMO the answer is NO. We got to the playoffs for the 1st time in 17 years, plus we got a 3rd and Mathews out of it. Ya it was worth it.  

Remember I was your first reputation point. No one can take that away from me. I own it. 

Edited by Lfod