Darby trade

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

I didn't say it was, but you will never have a room full of choir boys. Every team has players with "character issues" that get away with some stuff because they are talented football players. When was Darby  accused of not being someone who worked and played hard, or in your own word, a malcontent? 

McDermott isn't going to come right out and say it.  There were rumors he did not want to get with the program.

21 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

29th rated CB in the league. That would put him as a Teams #1. #1 corner IMO has more value than a 3rd round pick. 

As per Bleacher Report.  So take that with a grain of salt.

16 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He showed excellent ability year 1, and had a bit of a sophmore slump. I chalk some of that up to the sinking ship that was Rex Ryan in 2016. 

The ability and talent to become a top tier corner is there.  

You can never have too many good pass rushers, corners and offensive playmakers. 

Yeah I loved how he played as a rookie and was very disappointed with his play in his 2nd season.  And it was the same scheme.

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

McDermott isn't going to come right out and say it.  There were rumors he did not want to get with the program.

Rumors....yeah, just like the Bills trading up with the Giants. Plenty of hot air around here these days. 

I didn't follow the Eagles during the regular season, with his fractured ankle, I can't comment on how effective he was. 

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Rumors....yeah, just like the Bills trading up with the Giants. Plenty of hot air around here these days. 

I didn't follow the Eagles during the regular season, with his fractured ankle, I can't comment on how effective he was. 

All we can go by.  I think McD has made it clear he thinks there's certain way to build a team and he'll be faithful to that. 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

All we can go by.  I think McD has made it clear he thinks there's certain way to build a team and he'll be faithful to that. 

Oh yeah, #trusttheprocess. 

This is the only move that I have disagreed with so far. 

In time, passing up Mahomes & Watson may be added to that list. 

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

Oh yeah, #trusttheprocess. 

This is the only move that I have disagreed with so far. 

In time, passing up Mahomes & Watson may be added to that list. 

We made the playoffs last year with a team no one predicted would be any good.  And they did so while letting some guys go to get their cap more under control.

What is there about their process that is bothersome?

1 hour ago, dbflaBill said:

EJ has nothing to do with the trade, and hes no longer on the team. My point isn't Darby fitting a scheme. My point is holding on to him till now, and trading him now would be more valuable than getting a third round pick... Darby being part of a trade package to get into position for a top QB is more valuable than the third round pick that they have. 

You are assuming that Darby would have played well in the new defensive scheme. If he is a better man corner than a zone corner, he would not have been a stand out to be worth any more. 

2 hours ago, snamsnoops said:

The trade was more Darby for  a 3rd. J Mathews was a throw in. It has been reported the Eagles where trying to dump J Mathews before the bills trade.

Did you watch Ronald Darby play last year or in the SB? He looked like hot garbage. He wasn't a zone guy which McDome was running here in B-lo, making Darby expendable.

But he played very well in the two previous playoff games. The fact is, Gronk is basically uncoverable. He's the most dominant TE in league history, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Look. It's simple. Ronald Darby shrimpy 2nd year player 23 years old, wants to run his mouth about how he feels things should be run.  He wants to disagree and express his opinion about the changes being made. 

You do that and you are gone. 

That is the culture change. You get with the program or the program gets rid of you. That is what the new guys think needs to be done so that the Bills don't always lose.

So it is bye Ronald good luck. Bye Sammy. Bye Marcel. And so on.

Just quoting this so more people can see. Here's the answer ^ 

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We made the playoffs last year with a team no one predicted would be any good.  And they did so while letting some guys go to get their cap more under control.

What is there about their process that is bothersome?

Sneaking into the playoffs and scoring 3 points is not the goal, the goal is to be a consistent championship contender. 

The process must lead to that. So far, I am OK with everything that happened except the Darby trade. As stated, I believe moving talented, young and cheap corners is the wrong move. 

5 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

You are assuming that Darby would have played well in the new defensive scheme. If he is a better man corner than a zone corner, he would not have been a stand out to be worth any more. 

You cant be good at man and not good at zone that doesnt make sense. Thats BS you hear in the media. Some CB arent good enough to play man. Example arent athletic, fast, or big enough to play 1v1 with a WR. But NFL corners are all good at zone. Teams that play zone dont blitz much. Teams that play man blitz a lot thus not having enough guys in coverage to play a zone defense. 

5 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

You cant be good at man and not good at zone that doesnt make sense. Thats BS you hear in the media. Some CB arent good enough to play man. Example arent athletic, fast, or big enough to play 1v1 with a WR. But NFL corners are all good at zone. Teams that play zone dont blitz much. Teams that play man blitz a lot thus not having enough guys in coverage to play a zone defense. 

Gilmore got lost in zone coverages a lot when he was here.

I'd say we got relatively unlucky with the Darby trade so far. As far as the range of possible outcomes go, the Eagles pick being #96 and Matthews being immediately & constantly injured were fairly unlikely. On paper this is a bit of an L, but not a big one. This is Darby's 4th year, so he's on the verge of leaving and and/or being paid significant money. Shipping out players from the old regime that they didn't intend to pay has been their chief operating principle. 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Gilmore got lost in zone coverages a lot when he was here.

How do you know he got lost? you knew the coverage? the safeties responsibilities? LB responsibilities? New England doesn't pay top dollar for a CB that cant play multiple coverages. 

27 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

This is not true. Yes some players are good at both, most are not. Man guys are usually faster to keep up with the WR's....job is simple, stay with the WR and dont let him catch the ball. Zone requires corners to watch the QB, know route combinations, know when to let the WR go into the next zone while watching for other WR coming into their zone. Knowing when he can drop into someone elses zone to bracket WR's. Also zone corners are usually a little bigger and can tackle RB's. Every corner plays a little of each but some man guys are not great at zone but more zone guys cant be man guys. 

22 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

How do you know he got lost? you knew the coverage? the safeties responsibilities? LB responsibilities? New England doesn't pay top dollar for a CB that cant play multiple coverages. 

Fair point.  But if you watched the games there was a lot of times guys would get behind him and he'd just turn and look confused.

53 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

But he played very well in the two previous playoff games. The fact is, Gronk is basically uncoverable. He's the most dominant TE in league history, in my opinion.

Everybody has their own opinions. Mine is that we got a 3rd for a player that has regressed from his rookie season and not a good fit for our D.

I think Darby looked bad all season not just the reg season or SB!