Previously the "Convince me Allen won't suck" thread, now the... "you're welcome" thread

Seriously.

I know that people here really believe in him... why?

Plenty of past NFL players have been drafted for physical potential (Ryan Leaf, RG3, Jamarcus Russell, Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, etc) and have simply flamed out. 

I've never seen a college QB so devoid of college production being propped up this much based off of what I can only believe to be purely physical potential.

It's head scratching and infuriating because this guy looks like a project 2nd or 3rd round QB at best, to me.

What are people focused on? Throws he can make??? Haven't we had enough of these project QBs that are "balls of clay" for us to mold?

There's something I'm missing.

What is it?

I know there isn't a single QB in the NFL HOF with his forgettable production from a second-rate college football program like Wyoming. Is he supposedly going to break that trend?

What the hell... someone explain this to me so I can get behind him sooner rather than later if we draft him...

hopefully, we don't.

EDIT:  Changed the title since people think this is still an ongoing conversation.  I'm already convinced he'll be better than I thought.  I hated the pick when it happened... absolutely loathed it.  But you can all be happy because my love of previous Bills QBs has never actually panned out, so me hating this pick (initially, now I'm pretty good with it) is a great sign for us Bills fans because Allen will likely be our savior.

You're welcome  :beer:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously.

Plenty of past NFL players have been drafted for physical potential (Ryan Leaf, RG3, Jamarcus Russell, Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, etc) and have simply flamed out. 

I've never seen a college QB so devoid of college production being propped up this much based off of what I can only believe to be purely physical potential.

It's head scratching and infuriating because this guy looks like a project 2nd or 3rd round QB at best, to me.

What are people focused on? Throws he can make??? Haven't we had enough of these project QBs that are "balls of clay" for us to mold?

What is it?

I know there isn't a single QB in the NFL HOF with his forgettable production from a second-rate college football program like Wyoming. Is he supposedly going to break that trend?

What the hell... someone explain this to me so I can get behind him sooner rather than later if we draft him...

hopefully, we don't.

I'm not sold on him myself.The one thing that's stuck out to me is Beane liking McCaron's competitive nature. Only QB like that that I've seen in this draft is Mayfield. I think he has an edge over the other top QB prospects in that regard 

Edited by buffalo2218
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen's success will come down to coaching. Andy Reid would do amazing things with him as a QB. 

14 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

If Josh Allen were 2-3 inches shorter and about .2-.3 slower with his 40, he would probably be a 5th round pick. 

That can be said for many players. Draft position is based on potential, not college production. 

• Like (+1) 3

Watch the combine. He's the most impressive QB by far and it's not really close. Unfortunately in the NFL you wear pads and there are defenders trying to stop you. But if they just played in shorts and t shirts then he is the best QB I have seen in a very long time. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm 100% right there with Transplant. I honestly do not get the hype at all. It's Rosen-Mayfield-Jackson for me in that order.

Banging off physical traits alone is not enough for me. 

14 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Allen's success will come down to coaching. Andy Reid would do amazing things with him as a QB. 

That can be said for many players. Draft position is based on potential, not college production

So Mayfield should be a 3-5th rd pick. The dude is a straight up winner in college. I would love that...

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Convince me that he will.  The fact is that nobody really knows how any of these QB's will fare in the NFL.  Some who have been labeled sure things in the past have been terrible while others that nobody thought would make it have been perennial all pros.  All you can do is trust your talent evaluators.  If not, why have them?  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously.

What is it?

hopefully, we don't.

Think Jeff George or jay Cutler.  Thats what i see.  Big arm.......................bout it  

• Like (+1) 2

A guy who not only has prototypical size for an NFL QB, but who also has an arm that is better than that size. Other measurables are pretty good also.

Iirc, he hasn't really been playing football/QB all that long, relativ to other guys. This means his bad habits could be easier coached out. I'd also say that his 'coachability', would be very high.

Tbh, I've only seen a highlight reel and one game with all of his throws, but he seems to have some basic football intelligence, especially where he does realize you get rid of the football, rather than take a sack. He hasn't got so much of an arm, as a missile. I have seen him throw it without using ll the heat though.

Undoubtedly accuracy is an issue, but much of it might be down to simple footwork, rather than 'couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo' type of erratic.

I'm not an advocate as such, merely playing 'devil's advocate' in respect of why some might see him as a 1st round pick. Undoubtedly has the highest ceililng of any of this group of QBs, due to size and arm.

Me, I'd rather pick him in the 2nd round, and sit him for two years, as I think that would be the best scenario for him. I wouldn't rule him out of being a bust even then, but if he came through, boy would you have some serious talent to utilize.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I'm 100% right there with Transplant. I honestly do not get the hype at all. It's Rosen-Mayfield-Jackson for me in that order.

Banging off physical traits alone is not enough for me. 

So Mayfield should be a 3-5th rd pick. The dude is a straight up winner in college. I would love that...

There are exceptions. Mayfield succeeding would be rare. Same with Lamar Jackson. 

Physical traits for every position is what gets you drafted higher. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously.

What is it?

hopefully, we don't.

Brett Favre.  His stats at Southern Mississippi weren’t that impressive, yet he was drafted in the 2nd round.

Ok, this is my best shot....

Truth be  told, I was just like you 2 weeks ago. Hated, and was very spiteful about the Bills possibly drafting  Allen. When all  these rumors surfaced about Allen, I did research. I  watched  Matt Waldman's scouting report video (about 35 minutes long).  I also watched many of his games, along with Carson  Wentz whom is his  most compared player. I came away with this....

• Cannon for an arm!! That ball rockets out of  his  right arm with ease. He can  make  some amazing throws!! Sidelines, touch passes, short stuff, deep balls, over the middle, you name it, and he can do it!
  • His accuracy is overblown IMO. Is he as accurate as Mayfield, heck no. But, his receivers were not very good, and dropped alot of his passes, and I think alot of throws he threw incomplete were caught if he played for Oklahoma or USC. 
  • He can  really make plays with his feet. He is very good in  RPO's and read  option situations.
  • He's a humble, hard-working, and determined young man that I  think will be a great leader in  the locker room
  • If he has good coaching & development, he could easily be the best QB of  this class
  • Watch some of his 2016 game film where he  has a little bit better talent around  him,  and  you'll see flashes of brilliance

I still am team Rosen/Mayfield, and thats who I hope we draft, but I like the idea of Allen, and if he's the one, I'll be excited and trust in our FO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously.

What is it?

hopefully, we don't.

See above

Edited by mead107