Realism about the QB Position

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I consider making reckless trades one of the symptoms of the last 21 years.

And what reckless trades would that be? Trades don't set franchises back. Not being aggressive in finding a guy to fill the most important position in sports, certainly does though.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And what reckless trades would that be? Trades don't set franchises back. Not being aggressive in finding a guy to fill the most important position in sports, certainly does though.

Trading up for JP Losman (2004) and Sammy Watkins (2014) come to mind.

10 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen was 18 - 20 with UCLA. It’s ridiculous to think that one guy can carry a team on his shoulders. As good as a QB might be, he needs talent around him.

Oh, and McCarron was 36 - 4.

Realism of the QB position is if you judge their potential with Win Loss records you immediately fail

And the Mayfield guys have got me to rewatch alot of him and won me over. 

There are three QBs i would be happy with in the top 

Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold 

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen: 18 - 20

McCarron: 36 - 4

Weak and clearly the simple minded way of evaluating a QB 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Trading up for JP Losman (2004) and Sammy Watkins (2014) come to mind.

Those act of the trades themselves aren't symptoms of why this franchise has been bad. Hell, 3 years later the Bills made the playoffs without Sammy Watkins. That trade had no effect. Reports are if they stayed put they really liked Eric Ebron, how is that any better?

Rosen was 18 - 20 with UCLA. It’s ridiculous to think that one guy can carry a team on his shoulders. As good as a QB might be, he needs talent around him.

Explain Josh Allen then? Not 1 of his WR, RB, TE or OL that I saw were mentioned about even being drafted, not one. If someone finds something different feel free to let me know.

I prefer Mayfield personally.

Perhaps a bit, but the point remains that to be successful, you need to build a team.

Isn’t the old adage that games are won and lost in the trenches? 

That’s all well and good, but building teams is not a linear process. Ever. Can’t say “gotta get this in place first, get that in place first” and then draft your QB like it’s a plug and play scenario.

If you don’t have a QB and have a chance to get one, you do it and worry about the rest later. 

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Boise State is an FBS team. McCarron competed against the best programs in the country and let Alabama to back to back national championships.

They had a balanced team which is what McDermott and Beane are trying to build here.

Then maybe we should fire everyone Hire Bama AD and Saban and draft all Bama players. 

Ooo wait that wont work because you cant recruit here and get the best players in the nation to come to you and walk on to complete out talent your opponents 

13 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Those act of the trades themselves aren't symptoms of why this franchise has been bad. Hell, 3 years later the Bills made the playoffs without Sammy Watkins. That trade had no effect. Reports are if they stayed put they really liked Eric Ebron, how is that any better?

There's no slam-dunk quarterback. You improve your odds of obtaining one by increasing your number aka accumulating draft pick quantity. Not giving draft picks away. Draft one at 12 then one again in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There's no slam-dunk quarterback. You improve your odds of obtaining one by increasing your number aka accumulating draft pick quantity. Not giving draft picks away. Draft one at 12 then one again in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

There hasn't been a slam dunk since Andrew Luck and before that Peyton Manning, guess what... Good/Great QBs have still been drafted.

I agree you improve your odds by selecting more, one thing the Bills haven't been doing, but you don't increase them by selecting lower grade prospects. There's a reason they are graded lower. We selected plenty of Levi Browns, Petermans, Trent Edwards and picked up FA Brohms, Fitz, Taylor... all lower graded QBs. Nothing has changed. Do you know what they Bills haven't done? Selected a QB high in the draft. 

11 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

There hasn't been a slam dunk since Andrew Luck and before that Peyton Manning, guess what... Good/Great QBs have still been drafted.

I agree you improve your odds by selecting more, one thing the Bills haven't been doing, but you don't increase them by selecting lower grade prospects. There's a reason they are graded lower. We selected plenty of Levi Browns, Petermans, Trent Edwards and picked up FA Brohms, Fitz, Taylor... all lower graded QBs. Nothing has changed. Do you know what they Bills haven't done? Selected a QB high in the draft. 

Watson was chosen at #12 and he's a beast. Prescott was chosen in the 4th round. Garoppolo and Carr both 2nd round picks. Russ Wilson and Nick Foles 3rd rounders. Cousins a 4th rounder.

These aren't outliers. Evaluating quarterbacks is hard as hell.

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Like I said, in quite a few plays he was heaving the ball up in the air; it wasn't throwing into tight coverage. Watch the 2nd half of the game.

One guy can't carry a team; hence my point. And certainly not Rosen.

I've read comments on Rosen quite a few times that teammates and coaches view him as the type of player that, no matter the circumstance, he's one of those guys that can give his team a chance to win when the game is on the line. That's one of them intangible things. It'd be fun to experience games wherein we had some real, actual faith that the QB is gonna rally and pull off some comeback victories. 

And at least he was throwing it up there, giving his guys a chance.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Then maybe we should fire everyone Hire Bama AD and Saban and draft all Bama players. 

Ooo wait that wont work because you cant recruit here and get the best players in the nation to come to you and walk on to complete out talent your opponents 

The Saban disciples would like that.  I'd rather watch paint dry.  

13 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Yes Good running game and especially defense had a lot to do with that 

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

That’s why some of us want Mayfield

I would say MOST of us 

5 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

"After gaining the starting job in the end of the 1990 season as a true freshman (joined later by Jeff Tuel as the only two in school history), he quickly became the face of the Cougars offense. In 1992 Bledsoe led his team to a 9–3 record (ranking #10 in the coaches poll and #12 in the AP) and a 31–28 win against the Utah Utes in the Copper Bowl. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Bledsoe

Washington State got better under Bledsoe. UCLA got worse after Rosen became the QB in 2015:

2014: 10 - 3

2015: 8 - 5

2016: 4 - 8

2017: 6 - 7

out of the 7 losses in 2017, he got hurt in one, and didn't play in 2. Of of the 4 losses he played a lot

463 yards against 25th ranked Memphis

480 yards against 20th ranked Standford

219 yards against Arizona

421 yards against 12 ranked USC

Yep, Rosen doesn't elevate a team, or was just that the team was horrid around him?

Edited by BillsFan2313

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Watson was chosen at #12 and he's a beast. Prescott was chosen in the 4th round. Garoppolo and Carr both 2nd round picks. Russ Wilson and Nick Foles 3rd rounders. Cousins a 4th rounder.

These aren't outliers. Evaluating quarterbacks is hard as hell.

They are outliers. Those are low probability picks. What is bigger 30+20+15+10+1+1+0 or 80. On top of that you can’t draft 3 QBs and get them all sufficient reps and game time.