McShay on the Michael Kay show today - Giants will have "sweet offers" from the Bills

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=22859694

So I saw this as  Incarcerated Bob retweet on Twitter and wanted to make sure it was true because, well this is killing me. A quick search on ESPN and I was able to find the segment from today's Michael Kay show. The Bills talk starts around 4:40

A quick recap:

1.) Giants love Darnold, if he is available at 2 they would have a hard time passing on him

2.) They like Barkely and the lineman (Nelson) and have no problem with that at #2

3.) On pretty good word, the Giants will have sweet offers from the Bills for the pick

4.) Don't rule the cards out, but they haven't made any offers yet.

Edit: From what I recall:

1.) I'm not sure what the "sweet offers" are.

2.) At first I believed he was saying the Bills made sweet offers and then on re-listen it sounded like the giants had sweet offers for the pick and he only mentioned the Bills as making an offer. Kay didn't drill down and ask questions so that was about it...

Sweet offers could mean multiple offers of only picks or I suppose some players. I know the Giants only have $5-6$ million under the cap, so if players were included from us I am assuming we would be taking a contract back...I doubt players are included but who the hell knows...

Edit#2: I just saw CuddyDark's comment and went back to give a re-listen and he is correct. When I posted this last night, I was going off of memory and missed this part....

"On pretty good word that they are gonna get some pretty sweet offers much more likely from Buffalo..Don't rule ArZ out, they like Josh Allen..."

Thanks for bringing that up Cuddy!

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

So I saw this as  Incarcerated Bob retweet on Twitter and wanted to make sure it was true because, well this is killing me. A quick search on ESPN and I was able to find the segment from today's Michael Kay show. The Bills talk starts around 4:40

A quick recap:

1.) Giants love Darnold, if he is available at 2 they would have a hard time passing on him

2.) They like Barkely and the lineman (Nelson) and have no problem with that at #2

3.) On pretty good word, the Giants have sweet offers from the Bills for the pick

2.) At first I believed he was saying the Bills made sweet offers and then on re-listen it sounded like the giants had sweet offers for the pick and he only mentioned the Bills as making an offer. Kay didn't drill down and ask questions so that was about it...

Sweet offers could mean multiple offers of only picks or I suppose some players. I know the Giants only have $5-6$ million under the cap, so if players were included from us I am assuming we would be taking a contract back...I doubt players are included but who the hell knows...

Lets assume all information here is true (which its likely not as no teams are sharing honest draft plans).

Tells me that no trade is likely to happen until the Giants are on the clock on draft night.  If they love Darnold and would have a hard time not taking him at #2, then that means they will probably wait and see if he is there before they decide to trade down or not and also see how much higher the offers get.

• Like (+1) 2

personally, I think this will not happen until draft day and the Giants know where or not Cleveland takes their guy. If they really love Darnold and the Browns take him maybe they move the pick.  If the Browns go in a different direction, the NYG say, we can't pass on our guy.  Maybe the Giant say listen we want x, y or z and we can't get them at #12, you have to move up or we will do what we must.  It's gonna be 5 more weeks of speculation.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Exactly ...And putting out that the bills have made a sweet offer is probably only to get other teams to up the ante

No one has more capital than us and is more willing than us so I see no competition.

On another note taking back players to free up cap for them sounds interesting. I don’t think the Giants are particularly enamored with Josh Rosen.

If they turn down all of those picks for a GUARD they are out of their minds. I don't care if he's the best guard in history. That's just not an important enough position in the NFL and there's no way he's really that much better than everyone else that it would make that much of a difference

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

personally, I think this will not happen until draft day and the Giants know where or not Cleveland takes their guy. If they really love Darnold and the Browns take him maybe they move the pick.  If the Browns go in a different direction, the NYG say, we can't pass on our guy.  Maybe the Giant say listen we want x, y or z and we can't get them at #12, you have to move up or we will do what we must.  It's gonna be 5 more weeks of speculation.   

Excellent summary of the popular thinking right now. I too think everyone is going to wait until draft day. Even if the Giants are 90% sure that they plan on moving the pick then they will probably wait until the last moment to get the best possible offer and be sure that Cleveland doesn't pull some crazy stunt and draft a RB or something.

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

If they turn down all of those picks for a GUARD they are out of their minds. I don't care if he's the best guard in history. That's just not an important enough position in the NFL and there's no way he's really that much better than everyone else that it would make that much of a difference

I value OL as much as any poster on this board and I must agree with the above in terms of drafting a guard at #2. I also know just how bad the Giants OL is. It is probably the worst in the NFL; however, a guard at #2 is still entirely out of the question.

It makes me believe that the rest of the article is mere speculation.

17 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Yeah, there is no reason for them to keep the pick unless they are going to select a QB with it. The pick is too valuable to keep for anything else. The Giants are a well run organization, and will either trade it or pick a QB. They aren't the Jets.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I value OL as much as any poster on this board and I must agree with the above in terms of drafting a guard at #2. I also know just how bad the Giants OL is. It is probably the worst in the NFL; however, a guard at #2 is still entirely out of the question.

They could get 2 top Oline prospects by trading that pick, at least. And more....

PS.  the Bills would give them ANY lineman they want on the roster, plus picks.

Edited by OJABBA

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If the word McShay didn't make you believe it and the fact it was about a team from NYC didn't, how did the guard talk tip the scales?

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets assume all information here is true (which its likely not as no teams are sharing honest draft plans).

Tells me that no trade is likely to happen until the Giants are on the clock on draft night.  If they love Darnold and would have a hard time not taking him at #2, then that means they will probably wait and see if he is there before they decide to trade down or not and also see how much higher the offers get.

Agree.  I think the tricky balance for Buffalo is how far the Giants trade back.  If we could get up to #7 pre-draft I think it would make convincing the Giants to do the trade an absolute slam dunk... the problem is if they go to #7 that does tip their hat to any trade up rivals.  

14 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Seattle is the worst, Tampa's is dreadful too.  The Giants are in there with those two teams though. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

A quick recap:

3.) On pretty good word, the Giants have sweet offers from the Bills for the pick

If 1 is true the deal won’t happen until after Cleveland picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I find it hard to believe. I hope they don’t give away the farm. 

But if we give away the farm, whoever we  pick will be awesome.  It could be Rosen, Mayfield, Lalulealaleta, Falk, Keane or whoever.  Pick 2 = incredible.

55 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

No one has more capital than us and is more willing than us so I see no competition.

On another note taking back players to free up cap for them sounds interesting. I don’t think the Giants are particularly enamored with Josh Rosen.

Whoever coined the phrase draft capital needs punched in the face.  So annoying. 

• Thank you (+1) 1