The Wunderlich test for quarterbacks

See anyone familiar?  Good thing he's not a QB.

SCORE
NAME
COLLEGE
POSITION
4 Darren Davis Iowa State RB
4 Morris Claiborne LSU CB
5 Ed Prather Mississippi State DB
6 Oscar Davenport North Carolina QB
6 Frank Gore Miami RB
6 Vince Young Texas QB
7 Kelvin Benjamin Florida State WR
7 Tavon Austin West Virginia RB
7 Terrelle Pryor Ohio Sate QB
8 Bobby Wagner Utah State LB
8 Vince Evans USC QB
8 Chris Leak Florida QB

Just now, Commonsense said:

This has already been discussed. Go back and look at the stuff from Albright. That explains how teams view the scores and it makes sense.

I assume you mean this guy?

if it was worthless, why even take it? again, if worthless, it must mean no team/scout/gm/hc look at the 47 as any better or worse than a 13? or better yet, don't look at it at all and are more interested in their ability on the field as well as how much can be absorbed in the mental game?

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I assume you mean this guy?

if it was worthless, why even take it? again, if worthless, it must mean no team/scout/gm/hc look at the 47 as any better or worse than a 13? or better yet, don't look at it at all and are more interested in their ability on the field as well as how much can be absorbed in the mental game?

Yes he mentioned how teams view abnormally low scores. That's all that matters. Not how Albright or the rest of us view it. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I wonder if she used flash cards when he was a tike?

I took some management succession aptitude testing for a regional bank I worked for. I was told I scored extremely high in the analytical thinking and problem solving, but I should never leave home without a calculator. Hey! When’s the last time you did high school math???  That’s why calculators were invented!  If it was the Wonderlic I would have brushed up. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

these guys were the only ones leaked.

Josh Allen, 37

Josh Rosen, 29

Sam Darnold, 28

Baker Mayfield, 25

Lamar Jackson, 13

I've watched a lot of Josh Allen but I'm going to rewatch a ton of his games this week to see if I'm missing something. Everyone has him as the top pick right now, maybe his attributes project better at the pro level.

• Like (+1) 1

Ultimately it’s not thaaaat different than the 40 or bench or... 

1) different positions will curve differently for benchmarks. Guys like your qb or mlb will have higher expectations than a DT

2) there’s a range of “cool, no question he can do the job.” Your wide out running a 4.45, is like you qb high 20s

3) a wr running a 4.3 is fantastic but doesn’t mean he will succeed just like a 47 on the wonderlic doesnt. It’s a nice piece of a picture  but the rest has to still come together

4) a 4.6 doesn’t mean you can’t be a WR but I sure want to take another look at the film, maybe ask how you felt about the time, and generally check out the red flag, just like a 17 wonderlic at qb

5) a 4.9 at wr is probably a dealbreaker unless you catch that they tripped. Likewise a 3 on the wonderlic is probably a dealbreaker unless they took it with the flu, have a learning disability and also didn’t have their reading glasses. 

Its not worthless, but on its own doesn’t tell enough 

6 minutes ago, Pasaluki said:

Imo with the wonderlich anything above 10 is fine. Some people don't test well. But below 10 ehh it may be a minor concern. 

If I recall correctly a 20 is average andslots up to about 100 on an iq test, and every 5 points on the wonderlic really roughly slots up to 10 iq points for bar napkin purposes.

frankly, under 10 is in the “are they literate” category as you are getting into just guessing being about the same on average. I don’t mean that as a joke or insult but you have to have a real talk at that point to see if they guy needs special accommodations to learn the system or is just that level of “I don’t care” 

on a related note, I think teams would be wise to employ some sort of special education person on their staff to help work with guys and identify opportunities for how to better teach some of them. I don’t think an old school coach is the best candidate to come up with a learning plan for someone that might have a disability.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I've watched a lot of Josh Allen but I'm going to rewatch a ton of his games this week to see if I'm missing something. Everyone has him as the top pick right now, maybe his attributes project better at the pro level.

Scouts say he tried to do too much rather than play within the offense. He didn't have any players with him and felt like he had to do it all on his own. That will certainly make you throw some questionable passes. And he throws the ball faster than anyone ever recorded so good luck having receivers at Wyoming catch some of those passes. He has never had the best coaching either. They say he is the most improved player coming out having since worked with pro coaches at the senior bowl as well as Jordan Palmer. He certainly has a ways to go still but he has the goods that get scouts and coaches excited. Watch the 3rd quarter of the senior bowl on YouTube and you will see a lot to like

In Gronk's defense he did have a good education growing up. Williamsville school district has been tops in Wny for a while. Some of these kids from the South have a much harder time because the schools down there are so bad. It's not unheard of for kids to graduate who can barely read.