Sal .C: Giants Really Like Darnold

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I think the Giants have too many needs and would rather have 12 and 22 from the Bills.

That's where I fall too.  I think they aren't ready to toss out Davis Webb as well.  It's possible they view one of these QBs as too good to pass up and take him if he's there, but I think the Mara's respect Eli too much to take a QB this year.  I really think Nelson is the guy they want but they know they can get him later than 2.  That's where Denver really worries me.  However, I could see us making an offer Denver can't, then the Giants giving some of that back to get Nelson at 6 or 7.

If I had to bet right now, I say the draft goes:

1) Darnold - Browns

2) Rosen or Allen - Bills

3) Rosen or Allen - Jets

4) Barkley - Browns

5) Baker - Broncos

6) Chubb - Colts

7) Nelson - Giants

Basically the Giants could take 12 / 22 / 2019 1st / 53 from us, then turn around and flip 12 / 53 to get back to 6  or 7.  Giants get the guy they really want, plus 22 plus 2019 1st.

Just now, Virgil said:

Why would the Browns trade back to the Giants if they want Darnold?

Hey fans, we didn’t get our highest rated QB, but we got an extra second!  

The factory of sadness wins again!

Read this in Morgan Freeman’s voice...

”And as he sat there, rocking slowly back and forth in his chair, pondering the very question he had asked aloud, the very ponder had been answered, amidst the question he had asked.  “The Browns”, he said aloud.  And my, how a smile shined upon his face. Titty sprinkles.”

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DFT said:

Read this in Morgan Freeman’s voice...

”And as he sat there, rocking slowly back and forth in his chair, pondering the very question he had asked aloud, the very ponder had been answered, amidst the question he had asked.  “The Browns”, he said aloud.  And my, how a smile shined upon his face. Titty sprinkles.”

You win.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I think the Giants have too many needs and would rather have 12 and 22 from the Bills.

I wonder if you are thinking logically or wishful in your thinking. My personal thinking (logically) is the Giants would not rather have 12 and 22.

30 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I fully expect the Dolphins to take Jackson at 12 if they don't trade up for Baker.

Schefter was very specific about the price for #2 ( #12 / #22 / 2019 1st and maybe one of the 2nds) today here in Columbus.  That's a win on the value chart for the Giants and a trade we can make without feeling like we sacrificed our future (or even present).  It's also very difficult for any other team to match.

If I'm the Giants, I absolutely want a 1st next year if I pass on a QB this year.  If I'm the Bills, three 1st rounders is all I'm giving up.  If Giants want next years 1st, which could be a top 5 pick, no way I'm throwing in anything else.  

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If I'm the Giants, I absolutely want a 1st next year if I pass on a QB this year.  If I'm the Bills, three 1st rounders is all I'm giving up.  If Giants want next years 1st, which could be a top 5 pick, no way I'm throwing in anything else.  

This is all well and good, but if you want the QB and the Giants say "we want #12 / #22 / 2019 1st, plus #53" pick #53 is not going to be the reason you turn it down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

We will end up with Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield. 

I hope it's not Allen. Now, he's going to work on his footwork?

Had enough QBs with accuracy issues. Would be a pleasant change to have an accurate QB.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

This is all well and good, but if you want the QB and the Giants say "we want #12 / #22 / 2019 1st, plus #53" pick #53 is not going to be the reason you turn it down.

You have to have your line in the sand on the most you'd give up and that's mine.  I'd give up both 2nds this year instead of next years 1.  With McCarron and a rookie at QB, winning 8 games would be a small miracle.  More likely this is a 5-6 win team probably worse.  I'll keep all my picks and go with Jackson or one of the top 4 who slips.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You have to have your line in the sand on the most you'd give up and that's mine.  I'd give up both 2nds this year instead of next years 1.  With McCarron and a rookie at QB, winning 8 games would be a small miracle.  More likely this is a 5-6 win team probably worse.  I'll keep all my picks and go with Jackson or one of the top 4 who slips.  

I completely agree the 2019 1st is what I want to hold on to, but I don't think it's realistic.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I completely agree the 2019 1st is what I want to hold on to, but I don't think it's realistic.

I don't either, as Giants will want a 1st next year, but they're not getting more than three 1sts if I'm Beane.  Giants can take Barkley at 3, win 10 games next year, and try to find Eli's eventual replacement next year with the 23rd pick in the draft.  Or they can take Roquan Smith at 12, Derrius Guice at 22, still win 10 games and have the 23rd and 7th pick overall next year.  

I've actually thought Darnold is the reason the Giants aren't willing to trade out of #2 yet.  I don't think they know for sure who the Browns are taking yet, and if they indeed pass on darnold they will run to the podium to select Darnold.  All signs point to Darnold to the Browns at #1, but some people still think Josh Allen might be the guy at #1.  

Which brings me to a scenario, nobody has talked about.  If the Browns are pretty even on Allen and Darnold, maybe if the Giants offer the 2nd overall pick and let's say their 2nd round pick or next yrs 2nd round pick, maybe the Browns entertain that idea.  In order for the Browns to accept that trade down I thibnk they'd almost have to slightly favor Allen, which maybe they will come draft day.

If the Browns go the other way, stand pat and select Darnold, I think the #2 pick goes to the highest bidder, and I'd expect the most likely suitors to be in order of likelihood:

1. Broncos

2. Bills

3. Cardinals

I thinks the Broncos hold better chips than us because the Giants will love only having to go to #5, ensuring they get Barkley, Nelson or Chubb worst case scenario, and still picking up the Broncos 2nd rounder this yr. and probably an additional mid round pick next yr.

Bottom line the Bills are going to have to sell the farm to get to #2, and yes it will involve both #1's this yr. and next yrs. #1.  Anyone who thinks we won't have to touch next yrs. #1 is kidding themselves.  It's why the more I think about it the more I don't want to do it.  #4 and #6 which will be much cheaper spots to move up to, the question is will any QB's the Bills like be left at that point......maybe not.

This draft is going to be insane!  Pure entertainment and drama , thats for sure!

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Except the QB class of 2019 is not shaping up like this year's ... so why not take Rosen now ? 

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That's where I fall too.  I think they aren't ready to toss out Davis Webb as well.  It's possible they view one of these QBs as too good to pass up and take him if he's there, but I think the Mara's respect Eli too much to take a QB this year.  I really think Nelson is the guy they want but they know they can get him later than 2.  That's where Denver really worries me.  However, I could see us making an offer Denver can't, then the Giants giving some of that back to get Nelson at 6 or 7.

If I had to bet right now, I say the draft goes:

1) Darnold - Browns

2) Rosen or Allen - Bills

3) Rosen or Allen - Jets

4) Barkley - Browns

5) Baker - Broncos

6) Chubb - Colts

7) Nelson - Giants

Basically the Giants could take 12 / 22 / 2019 1st / 53 from us, then turn around and flip 12 / 53 to get back to 6  or 7.  Giants get the guy they really want, plus 22 plus 2019 1st.

Very likely scenario IMO

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Estro said:

I've actually thought Darnold is the reason the Giants aren't willing to trade out of #2 yet.  I don't think they know for sure who the Browns are taking yet, and if they indeed pass on darnold they will run to the podium to select Darnold.  All signs point to Darnold to the Browns at #1, but some people still think Josh Allen might be the guy at #1.  

Which brings me to a scenario, nobody has talked about.  If the Browns are pretty even on Allen and Darnold, maybe if the Giants offer the 2nd overall pick and let's say their 2nd round pick or next yrs 2nd round pick, maybe the Browns entertain that idea.  In order for the Browns to accept that trade down I thibnk they'd almost have to slightly favor Allen, which maybe they will come draft day.

If the Browns go the other way, stand pat and select Darnold, I think the #2 pick goes to the highest bidder, and I'd expect the most likely suitors to be in order of likelihood:

1. Broncos

2. Bills

3. Cardinals

I thinks the Broncos hold better chips than us because the Giants will love only having to go to #5, ensuring they get Barkley, Nelson or Chubb worst case scenario, and still picking up the Broncos 2nd rounder this yr. and probably an additional mid round pick next yr.

Bottom line the Bills are going to have to sell the farm to get to #2, and yes it will involve both #1's this yr. and next yrs. #1.  Anyone who thinks we won't have to touch next yrs. #1 is kidding themselves.  It's why the more I think about it the more I don't want to do it.  #4 and #6 which will be much cheaper spots to move up to, the question is will any QB's the Bills like be left at that point......maybe not.

This draft is going to be insane!  Pure entertainment and drama , thats for sure!

I think Denver is fine with Baker and keeping their picks.  Their coaching staff had him at the Senior Bowl and he's a similar player to Keenum.