Is there a rush to judgement on Peterman?

He was an absolute nightmare when under pressure.  He doesn't have great arm strength, but he seems to understand the game.  He's deceptively athletic.  Gets the ball out on time. 

Between throwing up ducks when hes under pressure, and smart corners baiting him into throws because he locks onto a target... I don't think he's starting material.  

JMO but its too early to throw him on the scrap heap. One game does not a career make or break. To me his arm strength is hardly impressive but is not far off average, if at all. I dont for now see how its worse than AJs. I dont think its necessarily the case that AJ outperforms him in TC either.

So yeah I think there may be some amount of overreaction in the general drift of opinion on him. It may be justified, it may not. I think we'll probably find out soon enuf. 

On 3/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, dneveu said:

He was an absolute nightmare when under pressure.  He doesn't have great arm strength, but he seems to understand the game.  He's deceptively athletic.  Gets the ball out on time. 

Between throwing up ducks when hes under pressure, and smart corners baiting him into throws because he locks onto a target... I don't think he's starting material.  

A weak arm that gives DBs no fear of getting beat deep in combination of panic under pressure is a recipe for failure.   Easy for them to squat on routes with plenty of opportunities for interceptions as he have seen.  Not starting material.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

I was on his side even after the Chargers game. What really changed my mind was the last throw against Jacksonville. To me, that showed that his arm strength is not good enough to make the throws he'll need to make at the NFL level. That being said, I think he can still be a decent backup to help a team out for a couple of games a year if needed. 

I hope I'm 100% wrong and he turns out to be the next Tom Brady. 

Edited by rodneykm

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That is exactly what I hoped (and thought) when they drafted him. I thought he could be a heady backup that could keep you afloat for a 4 game stretch. I don’t think that now but am not completely ruling it out either. I wasn’t as low on him as Gunner and Blokes and they watched WAY more of him than me. That is scary. The guys that have watched him the closest like him the least. 

He is going to have a tough time being on this roster IMO. If they trade up and have Rosen and McCarron (for example) and Dennison gone, why keep him? He may be a PS guy but it feels like a roster spot that would be better served on someone like Reilly.

I see him being more entrenched on the roster than you do. If he is the third qb then so be it. The injury rate is high so I wouldn't be so readily to extract him from the roster. Would I want him as a replacement qb for a four game stretch? I would be troubled by that much extensive play. But I do think that he is a smart guy who knows the offense and will maybe not help you much but might not hurt you much when you have to resort to using him. In a league noted for its attrition rate there is a utility and role for this back end player. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Add in that he is not poised when pressured.  He completely melts down and makes poor decisions. 

The guy had less than 2 sec to pass the ball. That was the worst O-Line performance that I have ever seen in all my time watching the NFL. I've re watched that game 6 times and the only thing Peterman could do differently is dropping to the ground and taking the sacks. 

If you think you can evaluate a QB when the O-Line plays like that you should be a scout or GM for a NFL team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The guy had less than 2 sec to pass the ball. That was the worst O-Line performance that I have ever seen in all my time watching the NFL. I've re watched that game 6 times and the only thing Peterman could do differently is dropping to the ground and taking the sacks. 

If you think you can evaluate a QB when the O-Line plays like that you should be a scout or GM for a NFL team.

Almost every pass play was a jail break.

27 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

There is no way that any of us know. The coaching staff seems to have some belief that he has potential.

This ^^^

he must have showed them something in practice if they were ready to bench Tyrod and start Peterman , and still had a winning record BTW 

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

You and others keep referring to the Chargers game.  It's a continuing pattern in every game he plays going back to college.  Backup material at best. On to the 2018 draft.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......and as President of the Peterman Fan Club, I'd bet he'll ask you to be his presenter in Canton..........:thumbsup:

That's a differnt kind of bust you're talking about. :lol:

• Like (+1) 2

I believe there has been a lot of unfair assessment regarding Peterman abilities. Most of it, as usual, comes from self-proclaimed experts of NFL QB prognostication. Perhaps McDermott is right in believing in Peterman. However, I don't know if there's the patience to find out.

1 minute ago, gjv001 said:

I believe there has been a lot of unfair assessment regarding Peterman abilities. Most of it, as usual, comes from self-proclaimed experts of NFL QB prognostication. Perhaps McDermott is right in believing in Peterman. However, I don't know if there's the patience to find out.

What is unfair?

I don't think I'm guilty of a rush to judgement on the guy. I made a determination based off his college tape that he was borderline undraftable. In his NFL career to date, I've seen nothing to move that needle in either direction.

There's no reason that he can't improve. I just haven't seen the signs that he will yet.

• Like (+1) 1