Bill Polian to start new Spring Football League - The AAF

42 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Never thought I'd say this, but it's too much football... I have major concerns for player safety in all these "bush" leagues.

No you are right.  I feel that all sports need an off-season.  It gives fans a slight break and builds anticipation for the year.  

I feel there’s a good reason that this idea never really succeed in professional sports

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

No you are right.  I feel that all sports need an off-season.  It gives fans a slight break and builds anticipation for the year.  

Even if the players are different,  I know the NFL spends a great deal of time and resources keeping players safe. A strapped-for-cash new league may need to cut corners.

i want to be excited about this league.   but i have this feeling it will fold just like the others before it.     i love football,  i dont love it enough to watch substandard players play it.

canadian football,  meh

arena,  couldnt care less

XFL,  i watched for about 2 weeks,   garbage football for hyped up fratboys.

USFL,  best of them all,   succeeded for a short time merely because it actually had NFL caliber players playing,  but ultimately still failed.

so how does a fledgling football league get people interested without the best players playing?

felt the same way about this past winter olympics when it came to the US Mens hockey team.    NHL players werent allowed to participate,  who the f cares then?   i personally wanted to watch the best play.

mbe some brilliant marketing guy can give us a reason to watch this league.    not holding my breath.

On 3/21/2018 at 2:22 PM, T&C said:

This isn't football... its something football "like". These kinds of leagues never seem to make it.

But, it is football.

CFL, AFL and IFL say hello...

On 3/21/2018 at 2:35 PM, BuffaloRush said:

I feel there’s a good reason that this idea never really succeed in professional sports

MLB's spring training and farm leagues have succeeded. What about the minor hockey leagues? Been going for decades.

The NFL could definitely have minor leagues and a farm system outside of the NCAA and I think that is the approach this league should take. The personnel have NFL ties and it sounds like they're focused on building a beneficial relationship with the NFL.

• 3 weeks later...

And we're off:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23060914/former-florida-south-carolina-head-coach-steve-spurrier-coach-orlando-team-alliance-american-football-league

1. Promising: seems to be real football, in the spring, likely in places without NFL franchises. Some minor rule changes, most of which (prediction!) the NFL itself will adopt: no kickoffs; to substitute for onside kicks, a team may elect to take the ball facing 4th and 10 at it's own 35. No extra points. 30 second play clock; attempt to finish a game in 2.5 hours. Some buy-in (limited) from CBS.

2. Not promising: decidedly a minor league. The "big names" brought in are ancient (Polian), irrelevant (Hines Ward, Polamalu), or both (Spurrier). Ebersol's kid seems smart though. Plus you're competing with the NFL, still (despite problems) the masters of marketing - look how they dominate the offseason with staged free agency periods, the draft, etc. You're up against all that plus post-Super Bowl fatigue.

My guess: this one will work, on a minor scale, for a little while. The NFL will co-opt the best features (game length; player safety; some rules changes) and will eventually kill it. It could be a little fun for a little while ...

• Like (+1) 1