kay stephenson

I loved that 30 for 30 like interview with Polian where he gave a whole new perspective on Kay Stevenson. Polian said Stevenson and the front office were in a position where they could trade all their picks for short term talent or else faithfully make all of the picks to properly rebuild the franchise and lose their jobs.  Polian credited Stevenson for doing the right thing.  Polian said Stevenson insisted that the draft selections be made. 

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Like (+1) 2

I loved that 30 for 30 like interview with Polian where he gave a whole new perspective on Kay Stevenson. Polian said Stevenson and the front office were in a position where they could trade all their picks for short term talent or else faithfully make all of the picks to properly rebuild the franchise and lose their jobs.  Polian credited Stevenson for doing the right thing.  Polian said Stevenson insisted that the draft selections be made. 

Polian says the same thing in his book, it did give me a different outlook on the guy. Kay suffered from inheriting a team that was getting old and hadn't done enough in prior years to reload vs. rebuild. Opening day of 1983 Kay's first year you had Ferguson, Frank Lewis, Jerry Butler, Joe Cribbs  on offense. Opening day 1984 all you had was Ferguson. The other established guys were gone or inured. The front office did zero to really replace them. 

Didn't Bruce Smith say to the defensive huddle during that 1986 season, when the Bullough firing rumors were ubiquitous, "If I catch any of you SOB's making a tackle I'm gonna kill you"

Edited by Ralonzo