What's a "Bridge Too Far" for You in Compensation Given Up to Move Up to #2?

The plan all along was to get us a top prospect at QB. Cant stop now, I don't care how much it costs, get it done.

Darnold, Rosen or they failed after all this moving.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Literally nothing.

I don't understand how anyone can sit here after watching the Bills for the last 18 years say "A QB is not worth it"

Too many holes, too many holes, too many holes!!!

DOOMED!!!

3 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

For me it's including our 2019 1st.  While I have little desire or inclination to wipe out the entire treasure chest of 2018 draft picks we've amassed in savvy fashion, I'm deathly afraid of parting with next year's 1st even more- and with McCarron and a rookie likely sharing starts I think that's too valuable of a draft chip to include as compensation, especially given that all of these QB's possess what appear to me to be concerns that can't be easily dismissed:

- Darnold's irrelevant, as far as we're concerned, since we can't get to 1.  But his sloppy footwork and rash of turnovers in 2017 (picks & fumbles) can't be categorically glossed over.

- Rosen throws such a beautiful ball with touch, anticipation, and advanced mechanics and footwork- but he missed half of 2016 with a shoulder injury, suffered two concussions last year (in quick succession), and left a couple of other games with other injuries.

- Mayfield's moxie has some appeal and his football acumen, accuracy, eye manipulation, etc. are topnotch, at this point.  But his size- hand size too- is less than ideal in Buffalo.

- Allen's the prototype- God knows the NFL loves prototypes.  It's a shame his accuracy needs such drastic improvement.

- Jackson is seemingly the most likely to be there at 12, which in terms of drafting I'd actually be better with taking at 12 rather than sacrificing- maybe squandering; the top-4 are far from 'sure things'- most/all of these picks to move up to #2 or #4.

Anyway, if the Bills think that they have really identified the 'other' franchise QB in this draft (setting aside the unobtainable Darnold), I'm good with trading both 2018 1st's (12 & 22), & 2nd's (53 & 56), plus either one of our 3rd's (65 or 96) or a 2019 2nd.

But I'm not trading the 2019 1st- I just don't have the conviction in any of these guys to do that.

Up into your last paragraph I thought your post was 100% spot on.

If we make a deal to move up to 2 (our pick other then Darnold who's going to Cleveland) my offer is this.  12, 22 in 2018 and first round in 2019.  Here is the reason why.

Trade value assuming Buffalo's improved roster leads to a 2018 playoff team is between 20 & 32.  The points from 12 & 22 equate to 1980, assuming 20 next year that's another 800.  We would be overpaying by 180 points which is a late 3rd as the QB premium.

I want 53, 56, 65, 96 and our 4th, 5th and 6th in 2018 to fill the following holes:

ILB, WR, Slot Corner, 3 technique DT, OLB, RB, and S.

As we have 100 million in cap space next year why do we need a 1st round pick which is probably 20 or worse when we have an extra 4th and 7th.

Any areas of weakness in 2018 can be bought as the Bills should be a player on Day 1 of the 2019 off-season.

Your Thoughts

For me, I think it would be having to give up both first and anything greater than a fourth, and having to parachute Anthony Hopkins in to Arnhem.

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Literally nothing.

I don't understand how anyone can sit here after watching the Bills for the last 18 years say "A QB is not worth it"

Because after watching the Bills for the last 18 years, we know there's not a QB they can't ruin, no matter how high he's drafted.

You give up the 2019 1st round pick.

My deal breaker? Nothing.

This franchise has danced around the QB issue for FAR too long. Granted, if the Bills did move to 1 or 2 it does not guarantee the player we take is going to be a sure fire franchise QB. But enough is enough, it is time for the Bills to go all in and try.

No time to be cheap folks.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 3

If the Bills are in love with a QB and they are sold in him being a franchise guy, then nothing is too much in my opinion.

While I would hate to lose next years first, I won’t be complaining in a few years  if Rosen turns into Carson Wentz or Aaron Rodgers.

If the bills love someone just go get him

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

I don't know.  But whatever valuations Beane puts on the players, I hope he sticks to that valuation.  In other words if it calls on to mortgage the farm on a player and they believe that is their guy, then go for it.  If they put a lesser valuation on that player and now are forced to go above that value, then pass and move on to the next option.

Someone trusts the process!  Lol

Thank you (most all) for the sane responses.   I opened this thread expecting to hear most everyone clamoring to give away the farm for 2.  12 and 22 plus a third to move up to four is sane.

Look at the history of QB’s selected in the 1st round in picks 12 and beyond:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Outside of Aaron Rodgers, none have been worth a pick. Notable exceptions aside, unless you grab a guy in the first couple picks, don’t waste the pick. 

If if one of these qb’s feels like the real deal, I say you do what you can to get in the first two picks. If you have doubt, grab a guy outside of the 1st round and see if they can play down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

For me it's including our 2019 1st.  While I have little desire or inclination to wipe out the entire treasure chest of 2018 draft picks we've amassed in savvy fashion, I'm deathly afraid of parting with next year's 1st even more- and with McCarron and a rookie likely sharing starts I think that's too valuable of a draft chip to include as compensation, especially given that all of these QB's possess what appear to me to be concerns that can't be easily dismissed:

- Darnold's irrelevant, as far as we're concerned, since we can't get to 1.  But his sloppy footwork and rash of turnovers in 2017 (picks & fumbles) can't be categorically glossed over.

- Rosen throws such a beautiful ball with touch, anticipation, and advanced mechanics and footwork- but he missed half of 2016 with a shoulder injury, suffered two concussions last year (in quick succession), and left a couple of other games with other injuries.

- Mayfield's moxie has some appeal and his football acumen, accuracy, eye manipulation, etc. are topnotch, at this point.  But his size- hand size too- is less than ideal in Buffalo.

- Allen's the prototype- God knows the NFL loves prototypes.  It's a shame his accuracy needs such drastic improvement.

- Jackson is seemingly the most likely to be there at 12, which in terms of drafting I'd actually be better with taking at 12 rather than sacrificing- maybe squandering; the top-4 are far from 'sure things'- most/all of these picks to move up to #2 or #4.

Anyway, if the Bills think that they have really identified the 'other' franchise QB in this draft (setting aside the unobtainable Darnold), I'm good with trading both 2018 1st's (12 & 22), & 2nd's (53 & 56), plus either one of our 3rd's (65 or 96) or a 2019 2nd.

But I'm not trading the 2019 1st- I just don't have the conviction in any of these guys to do that.

Plus 1.  Don't screw up next year's draft as well as this one to get someone.  I'm personally not a fan of trading up at all but if we do...limit the damage to this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly say go for broke. Do whatever it takes to get to #2 and get a franchise QB. Standing pat has not worked for this franchise and with playoff windows only lasting 3-4 years on average, we need to take a risk. The goal every year should be win now, not build for next year.

4 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Literally nothing.

Bingo.

quite frankly, we cut, let walk or traded every 1, 2 and most 3s in pretty much a single offseason and survived.

and it’s not like our roster is so disheveled that no rookie could ever survive.

the risk is terribly overstated by many and rewards would be priceless. Play the game and minimize the cost but ultimately— go get your guy.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Bingo.

quite frankly, we cut, let walk or traded every 1, 2 and most 3s in pretty much a single offseason and survived.

and it’s not like our roster is so disheveled that no rookie could ever survive.

the risk is terribly overstated by many and rewards would be priceless. Play the game and minimize the cost but ultimately— go get your guy.

Its like that episode of Seinfeld where George does the opposite and things start to go his way. The Bills need to do the opposite of what they have done over the past two decades. We need to make a statement. We are a playoff team...we need to show the league we are serious about winning it all this year.