Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

Just now, Floydboy12 said:

The Bills have a position of strength on this thing. I don't think there are going to be that many teams involved in going up to 2. I tell you what lost its value with the Jets move. The Browns #4. 

I disagree. If NYG stay put and go non QB, Dorsey has a straight flush. 

4 minutes ago, Floydboy12 said:

Denver isn't selling the farm to trade up to 2. They like Keenum and will take their chances that the guy they want will be there at 5 or they may trade down themselves. Miami may trade up but they have don't have the Bills draft capital. 

Denver's 5th overall and second round pick are of high quality so don't think that they have to match somebody such as the Bills pick for pick.  We can guess that they like Keenum but only Elway and Co know for sure.  I would not assume that the Bills have the Giants by the tail.

Not taking him seriously but I think it's a reasonable assumption anyone can make that the Bills are considering all their options. 

Denver is being mentioned, but would they take a QB that high, or even move up to 2, given the Keenum signing?  I have my doubts.

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d feel the same way if I were the Giants I think (especially knowing that the Browns don’t want to deal 1). If I’m the Bills I am working with the Browns and trying leverage the Giants. It probably won’t work but maybe if the Giants think that the Bills would be happy at 4 they’ll pull the trigger? The Giants can’t get the Bills package elsewhere. If they overplay their hand and the Bills go to 4 with the intent of Allen or Baker the Giants are “stuck” at 2. 

If Cleveland is open to going down to 12 from 4, then a 3 team trade certainly makes some level of sense.  You sell the Giants that they'll get the exact same player at 4 as 2, they get some incentive to make the move, while the Browns get #12 & #22 and the bulk of the later picks.  Plus the Bills and Giants get the bonus incentive of the Jets screw job.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Completely agree Denver is the true threat here.  That's why we are going to need to overpay.  The very real possibility exists of the Giants just taking #5, a future 1st, a 2nd this year and possibly something else and walking out with the exact same player they would at 2.

I think you're right about the overpayment, which could mean that 2019 1st. As others have pointed out, no team can likely beat out the Bills overall compliment of picks. But a smaller move back to 5 essentially providing picks for free ( a la Colts) would be a strong consideration for the G men. 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

The pressure game works for either side potentially.  

Certainty helps the Giants too.  If there's 2 or 3 teams with different deals on table, it makes it harder for Giants to have a completely well thought out plan for what they're gonna do with the picks they get.  Do the deal now and Giants have 5 weeks to prepare for who exactly they want to pick with all those picks.  Yes, you can have contingency plans for different scenarios but there's still value in knowing exactly what your picks are gonna be 5 weeks out instead of 1 day.  

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I disagree. If NYG stay put and go non QB, Dorsey has a straight flush. 

True. I'm just speaking in terms of the trade value of the pick. There was a chance that pick could net the second QB before the Jets deal. 

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s a lot, but we still get our first next year and have picks in rounds 2 and 3.  

I’d do it. If we get our QB (not Allen), and we get two starters with our other two picks, that’s a win. 

I really want Mayfield, but I think this would solidify Rosen. 

Not for a guy who may have to sit for the better part of two years.  Maybe we sign him before his final year in his rookie contract or the whole thing becomes a headache complete with franchise tagging and so forth.  Guys here can talk about holding a guy here for 10-15 years but by the modern CBA if a player is exit minded he is leaving well before that time.

53 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s a fair point for sure.  Personally I’d rather have the bird in the hand with the QB and buy the equivalent of a first round talent in FA with our cap space next year.  My counter to your point (which, again, I respect) is that I’d rather have a a top end skill talent than a middle of the first round OL, LB, etc.  

This board debated the Sammy trade to death, but it’s inarguable that we acquired a $16/mil/year player for a CB and a C that I can’t even name.  It was a big price to pay, but no nobody would flip Watkins for those two players.

Yep! We survived no 1st the following year for sammy... We will survive again. I maintain that 19 1st is what separates us from anyone else - the ability to package 3 #1s. Sure we would rather not give it up...BUT...If that's the price and it allows them to get their guy SO BE IT. Get it done

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Certainty helps the Giants too.  If there's 2 or 3 teams with different deals on table, it makes it harder for Giants to have a completely well thought out plan for what they're gonna do with the picks they get.  Do the deal now and Giants have 5 weeks to prepare for who exactly they want to pick with all those picks.  Yes, you can have contingency plans for different scenarios but there's still value in knowing exactly what your picks are gonna be 5 weeks out instead of 1 day.  

From the Giants POV, if you do the deal now you also get 5 weeks to potentially work back up from 12 into the "elite" tier.  

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This has the least likelihood of happening imo 

Yep, not going to happen.  Turning down ~5 high value picks to take a guard or even a RB #2 overall is not how you start a regime as GM.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

From the Giants POV, if you do the deal now you also get 5 weeks to potentially work back up from 12 into the "elite" tier.  

I could see that. Depending on who they want to take, they could get that guy plus the rest of the picks from the Bills just by packaging say 12 and 53. 

30 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

No way you'd know this, but I pay very close attention, and it is a king's ransom....and we can go back and forth about how to identify a "franchise QB", but since this discussion has essentially been rehashed to the point it nearly nauseates me, we'll just agree to disagree. 

Then you would know it's not a "king's ransom". It's going rate for that type of move. Check the charts. It's one thing to not want to do something. It's another to say that it's not fair market value.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This has the least likelihood of happening imo 

I'd tend to agree, but they could just simply love Barkley. It's a possibility right now. I do not think they stay put at 2 for an OG or even Chubb. If they don't trade out of #2, it's a QB or Barkley. With their lack of picks, anything else is a huge head scratcher. I hope Elway is truly in win now mode and will want an immediate contributor, maybe in the secondary or a pass rusher. That seemed like the early word out of DEN with the Keenum signing, then suddenly they had a strong interest in QB at 5. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'm really glad someone else mentioned this, the Giants could then trade up from 12th overall and get back into the top ten. If the Colts are looking to move down again from six, there ya go.

Especially since they traded two picks for a mediocre LB leaving them with only five picks and a less than desirable cap situation.