Rank Qb's and why please

9 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

It must be like one extra scroll for you on mouse wheel to pass it by. Dont be a tool dude

I like seeing some of the guys you all are posting that arent in the consensus top 4, gives me some guys to look at.

But... ummm... why not post the rankings you created if insisting on starting the new thread instead of using the existing thread you posted in?

1. Rosen.  Likes: Makes all throws, very smart, accuracy, Game 1 starter    Concerns: Will he get better? Passion for the game? Winner?  

Best case: Aaron Rodgers    Worse case:  Matt Schaub

2. Lamar Jackson.  Likes: Superior athlete, high ceiling, arm strength, game changer  Concerns: Consistent accuracy, can his throwing game work on NFL level?

Best case: Michal Vick   Worse case: Tyrod Taylor

3. Mason Rudolph.  Likes: Very smart, accuracy, pocket management, progressions  Concerns: Arm strength, mobility, translate to NFL, ceiling?  

Best case: Tom Brady   Worse case: Kyler Boller

4. Sam Darnold. Likes: Winner, high ceiling, smart, good arm, mobility   Concerns: Many mechanics to fix, not game one ready

Best case:  Matthew Stafford  Worse case: Jake Locker

5. Baker Mayfield:  Likes: Competitor, smart, good arm, accuracy  Concerns: NFL ability?  Ceiling? Scheme QB? Russ Wilson height without athleticism. 

Best case: Drew Brees  Worse case:  JP Loseman

6. Josh Allen.  Likes: Rocket arm, athletic, high ceiling, game suited to NFL?  Concerns:  Accuracy, accuracy, short game, takes too many risks.  

Best case:  Joe Flacco   Worse case:  Ryan Leif

Mayfield has the least amount of fixing needed. He's got the best accuracy. He wins. He leads. He hates his rivals. He takes football seriously. He's clearly the best QB IMO. He's "short" so he's not seen as a potential franchise QB.

Edited by CuddyDark

To me, there are only 2 that I'd be completely happy with. 

Top Tier 

1. Baker Mayfield - Accurate and has the attitude of a winner and a leader.

2. Josh Rosen - Has every single tool you look for in a QB. The "slight stature" stuff is silly to me. I'd say Matt Ryan fits that "slight stature" mold as well and he's pretty good. 

2nd Tier

3. Josh Allen - MEGA arm but has accuracy issues. Not sure if that can be fixed or not. Jamarcus Russell also had a huge arm but had accuracy issues.

4. Mason Randolph - From what I've seen a pretty accurate passer and a very smart guy. Has the prototypical size most people want in a QB. Sleeper here. 

Just for kicks, ranked by discussion intensity on The Stadium Wall.

Searched on last name only, post created in the last month. The search function is not for analytics, so YMMV.

• Josh Rosen 3189 posts
  • Lamar Jackson  2405 
  • Josh Allen 2369
  • Baker Mayfield 2284
  • Sam Darnold 1897
  • Mason Rudolph 1133

I'm surprised Darnold's post count is so low.

Just now, boater said:

Just for kicks, ranked by discussion intensity on The Stadium Wall.

Searched on last name only, post created in the last month. The search function is not for analytics, so YMMV.

• Josh Rosen 3189 posts
  • Lamar Jackson  2405 
  • Josh Allen 2369
  • Baker Mayfield 2284
  • Sam Darnold 1897
  • Mason Rudolph 1133

I'm surprised Darnold's post count is so low.

Most seem to believe Darnold is going #1. He's probably the least ready to start of the top 3 but he has the greatest upside projection.

1)  Baker - people here tell me he plays to win while apparently the other QBs play to lose.  So take the guy who is actually trying to win first of course.

2) Mason Rudolph - Part of being a Bills fan is just accepting the mediocrity that happens to you while trying to convince yourself it's anything but mediocrity.  That's the definition of Mason Rudolph.

3) Any other QB who will get drafted after 12 - We just have too many holes, currently we would go onto the field with only 9 defensive players because we need 2 more linebackers, we probably wouldn't even put a 3rd CB on the field in nickle right now either, there may not be enough players to play WR either.

BIG GAP

4) Probably Darnold - but I just don't know about him

5) Lamar Jackson - He's pretty much exactly Tyrod, so why would we need him?

6) Josh Rosen - He's from California, and rich, so if we drafted him he'd probably just retire because he's already rich.  Also, doesn't like Trump.

7) Josh Allen - I heard from a guy who knows a guy he was thinking about changing his last name to Losman.  He also wore #17 in college, which is almost just like Losman.  He's also tall like EJ.  Pretty much already a bust.

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

1) Lamar-

because hes not white, old school stereotyping front offices will assume he can’t throw, read defenses or the playbook.  He’ll fall mid to late first round but end up in canton as the most prolific passer in nfl history. During his induction Bill Polian will swear, from his motorized wheelchair, that he would’ve been a better wr. 

2) Rudolph 

He will use his rookie year holding the clipboard learning how to move his lower body as part of his throwing motion and read the other post that he’s the second coming of Brady on TBD, and believe it.

He’ll go on to have  a Flacco like career with the Steelers for about a decade until his career is permanently ended by a bitter and old James Harrison still playing, against his former team. 

3) Darnold 

will use his “small hands Sam” nick-name to stoke his inner fire. He Will have an illustrious Rivers&Stafford-like career in Cleveland where he’s always just good enough to warrant fantasy selection and keep Sam Bradford from starting, once AZ casts him off, but will win exactly 0 playoff games because his cap hit disallows any more than rookie contract players at all positions except punter and long snapper 

4) Johnny mayfield 

will be the most prolific passer in the Montreal Auloettes  history.  For Tim Hortons he will sponsor the “Bakers dozen” an assortment of short bread donuts with a sassy frosting offered at food trucks everywhere after hours. 

5) Rosen 

will sign his rookie deal with the jets, suffer a concussion in training camp after running into a parked golf cart while tweeting smack to chip for annointing the new UCLA QB “the ‘more’ chosen one”. He’ll retire with his guaranteed money and open a deli in the Fairfax District of LA with Chip’s picture on the wall and a do not serve sign. 

6) white

because he is white as is his name, he will be way overdrafted assuming he’s a textbook, classic pocket passer.  The dolphins will later admit that the only thing dumber than drafting a qb who played WR in high school like Tannyhill was drafting a pitcher who didn’t even play football until high school. 

7) Allen

After washing out of Denver with a 3:1 interception to TD ratio, he will join up with Alex Tanny and Nate Peterman on a traveling road show of football trick-shots. While Peterman and tanny throw into and at small moving objects,  He will wow them by throwing through, large stationery objects.  

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!  LMAO!!!

46 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

1. Rosen.  Likes: Makes all throws, very smart, accuracy, Game 1 starter    Concerns: Will he get better? Passion for the game? Winner?  

Best case: Aaron Rodgers    Worse case:  Matt Schaub

2. Lamar Jackson.  Likes: Superior athlete, high ceiling, arm strength, game changer  Concerns: Consistent accuracy, can his throwing game work on NFL level?

Best case: Michal Vick   Worse case: Tyrod Taylor

3. Mason Rudolph.  Likes: Very smart, accuracy, pocket management, progressions  Concerns: Arm strength, mobility, translate to NFL, ceiling?  

Best case: Tom Brady   Worse case: Kyler Boller

4. Sam Darnold. Likes: Winner, high ceiling, smart, good arm, mobility   Concerns: Many mechanics to fix, not game one ready

Best case:  Matthew Stafford  Worse case: Jake Locker

5. Baker Mayfield:  Likes: Competitor, smart, good arm, accuracy  Concerns: NFL ability?  Ceiling? Scheme QB? Russ Wilson height without athleticism. 

Best case: Drew Brees  Worse case:  JP Loseman

6. Josh Allen.  Likes: Rocket arm, athletic, high ceiling, game suited to NFL?  Concerns:  Accuracy, accuracy, short game, takes too many risks.  

Best case:  Joe Flacco   Worse case:  Ryan Leif

Great analysis!! Love the best/worse case scenarios!!

• Like (+1) 1

1. Baker Mayfield

+ can make every throw, good accuracy, ridiculous efficiency goes beyond scheme, experienced, goes through progressions, mini Ben Roethlisberger

- short, will need to get even better at identifying passing lanes like Brees does as NFL teams will look to keep him in the pocket

2. Sam Darnold

+ a better Patrick Mahomes, ball flys out of his hand, pretty accurate off all platforms, very mobile, great personality for the position

- throwing motion is elongated, fumbling problems going back to high school from how he holds the ball, his windup and smaller hands.

3. Josh Allen

+ Ultra competitive, describes as the Alpha QB of the group, makes every throw and puts pressure on the defense to cover the entire field, mobile, played in a pro style spread offense, was given more responsibility this year with the outflux of talent Wyoming had after the 2016 season, Wyoming tanked when he was injured...oh yea, amazing arm.

- needs to continue working on his feet to ensure consistent accuracy, is not a finished product.

4. Josh Rosen

+ great accuracy and used to picking apart the middle of the field, machine out there with consistent mechanics and consistently good accuracy. 

- concussions kept him out of his last college game, lacks mobility, ok arm but does not make challenging boundary throws often.

5. Lamar Jackson

+ great progression as a passer, another QB tasked with carrying a roster lacking in talent, amazing mobility but is good at resetting feet to pass rather than running, playmaker with a big arm.

- just needs more reps, would benefit from widening his base on his throws, slender build may be a problem with hits in the NFL.

6. I don’t have a sixth bc I don’t think anyone else has a chance to be good later on. Get one of the top 5.

1.      Lamar Jackson – His accuracy isn’t great, but pretty much everything else about him as a prospect is. He has the arm strength to make every throw, has more experience going through progressions than most of the rest of the class, does a good job taking care of the ball, and is possibly the best running QB we will ever see.

2.      Sam Darnold – He doesn’t show much in terms of going through progressions and plays in a simplistic offense, but he does show you anticipatory throws which is pretty rare in the college game. His ball placement is generally very good, his arm strength is pretty good, and he has a knack for being able to buy time when he needs to to make plays.

3.      Josh Allen – He comes from a pro-style offense and has been asked to make full-field reads, which is pretty rare for the college game nowadays. His arm strength is maybe the best I’ve ever seen, opening up playbooks in ways that no other prospect does. He’s amazing at getting out of sacks and is a pretty talented runner. If teams believe that his footwork is the root of his accuracy issues, that is fixable, and if fixed, he could easily become an elite QB, which I think is the case for only him and Lamar.

4.      Baker Mayfield – A lot of the same things I said about Darnold apply to Mayfield as well; good ball placement, good enough arm strength, has a knack for buying time with his legs. I don’t think you see as much anticipation with him and I’m less sure about his ability to adapt to a more normal offense, but I think he’s a good prospect nonetheless.

5.      Josh Rosen – His mechanics are nearly perfect already and he has natural arm strength; he doesn’t really zip balls in very often and tends to float his deep balls too much, but he throws with pretty much the perfect amount of velocity on short and intermediate balls. He’s shown an ability to go through progressions; probably the most in the class. My big issues with him are that he’s a sitting duck in the pocket with durability issues and a tendency to make poor decisions under pressure. I think he’s a pretty safe pick as long as he stays healthy, but I don’t think his ceiling is as high as the guys I have listed ahead of him and the health issues concern me a lot. I’d still take him in the 1st round, but he isn’t my preferred choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.      Kyle Lauletta – After the 5 1st round guys above, Lauletta is the only other guy I’d be happy to take before Day 3. In his game film, his ball-placement stands out; I think his ball-placement is the best in the class. The velocity wasn’t really there in game film, but he showed much better velocity at the Senior Bowl. He’s not going to beat you with his legs, but he has that ability to maneuver the pocket just enough to create a good throwing window for himself. A lot of one-read passes at Richmond though. I’d feel comfortable taking him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.      Mason Rudolph – When there were rumors that he was going to be in the 2017 draft, I thought he was a good target around the 4th round. That’s where I have him in the 2018 draft as well. His arm strength is Peterman-esq, which is to say, I don’t think it’s good enough to survive in the NFL. His deep balls and out routes just float way too much for my liking. His ball placement in general isn’t very good IMO; it’s adequate for the caliber of WRs he played with at Oklahoma State, but I don’t really think there’s anything to hang your hat on with Rudolph. I think he’s just a guy.

8.      Luke Falk – Basically everything I said about Rudolph also applies to Falk, except his deep ball is worse and he has durability issues. The two things that I do like a lot about Falk is that he’s willing to step into hits in order to make a good throw and he’s very aware of where his checkdowns and hot-reads are. He still tends to hold on to the ball too long, so he ends up taking unnecessary hits, but he’s very willing to check it down if need be, which is a good thing.

9.      Luis Perez – I’m searching for more film on him, but I watched the Division II title game and came away very impressed with him. He has kind of a crazy story; he didn’t even play football in high school. He was a high school bowler who went to a junior college in California and decided to try out for the football team and ended up making the roster as the 3rd string QB. He eventually won the starting job, led them to a conference championship, and transferred to a Division II school where he ended up winning the equivalent of the Heisman. His ball placement throughout the Division II title game was superb; nearly every pass hit his target in stride and I think he threw a total of 2 or 3 uncatchable balls on roughly 50 attempts. Like Falk, he’s constantly aware of where his checkdowns are, and unlike Falk, he’ll protect his own body by dumping it off before the defense has a chance to hit him. He’s able to make throws with anticipation; he’s especially good at timing curls and hitches. The offense he plays in is pretty simplistic and exclusively shotgun/pistol-based; he had a chance to show his dropback mechanics at the NFLPA Bowl and it was hilariously bad. Still though, I came away impressed with him; I think he actually has some potential, but there will no doubt be a major learning curve for him if an NFL team gives him a chance.

10.  Mike White – White was spectacular in the Senior Bowl, and if I was confident that that version of him is what I would get from him all the time, he’d be way higher on my list. But every other game I’ve seen of his, his ball-placement is pretty sporadic and he basically has the athleticism of Tom Brady, but actually tries to make plays with his legs, which is not good at all. He has enough arm strength and he shows more than I expected in terms of going through progressions, but I’ve come away with the feeling that I’m watching a different QB from the one that most others describe.

11.  Chase Litton – Perez, White, and Litton are guys that I’d look at in the 6th or 7th round. Litton has a cannon for an arm, but his ball-placement is extremely inconsistent. He calls some audibles at the LOS, which is pretty cool for a college QB, but his accuracy issues force me to push him way down my list. I’d still take a gamble on him late in the draft in the hopes that he figures it out, but he’s a long-shot prospect. I also believe he has an arrest record.

Edited by DCOrange
Added notes on each

12 hours ago, NoSaint said:

But... ummm... why not post the rankings you created if insisting on starting the new thread instead of using the existing thread you posted in?

Because I didn't want this post to be a thinly veiled attempt to tell everyone who I think is best, Just trying to make conversation bro, and maybe gain insight as to why others rank Qb's where they do.

Peace..

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. Mayfield

4. Rudolph

5. Jackson

6. Allen

7. White

8. Falk

9. Ferguson

10. Lauletta

11. Woodside

They are the 11 I think are draftable. Full write ups on the top 8 are in the works and very close to complete. Will be up by the end of the month.