Rank Qb's and why please

Interested in seeing why folk rank the QB's where they do. I made a post explaining how I arrived at the rank I did. Speaking of the QB's available in the 2018 draft. This isn't a setup to flame folk for thier metrics, although I can't control others. Would love to see points that have not been shown elsewhere.

These are my own rankings and will be different from the mainstream media. All of my top 8 have some starter qualities and have a chance of being a starting QB in the NFL imo. 

After watching 5+ games on the top 10 QB prospects here is how I would rank them:

1) Sam Darnold (Grade 87, top ten prospect)

- Pros: accuracy, progression ability, ability to extend plays, pocket presence, mobility, clutch, leader, qb persona, arm strength, winner, can make throws in tight windows, size

- Cons: turnovers, unusual delivery, sometimes fooled by coverages, not always consistent with deep ball

2) Josh Rosen (Grade 85, top ten prospect)

- Pros: Accuracy at all three levels, great understanding of the game, progression ability, pocket presence, arm strength, ability to throw in tight windows, intelligent, size, quick release

- Cons: Durability, few head scratching turnovers, mobility

3) Baker Mayfield (Grade 82, 1st round prospect)

- Pros: deadly short and intermediate accuracy, clutch, creates energy, leader, winner, arm strength, mobility, moves around pocket well, progression ability, senior 

-Cons: size, sometimes misses throwing lanes, size sometimes limits him from stepping up in the pocket, inconsistent deep ball accuracy, occasionally throws late b/c of big arm

4) Mike White (Grade 78, 2nd round prospect)

-Pros: Accuracy at all three levels, arm strength, progression ability, throws with anticipation, shows ability to step up in the pocket, senior, size

- Cons: Will have to master moving around the pocket because of very limited mobility, sometimes slow going through reads, takes sacks too often

5) Mason Rudolph (Grade 77, 2nd round prospect)

- Pros: Accuracy, progression ability, pocket presence, senior, QB persona, size

- Cons: Mobility, arm strength 

6) Josh Allen (Grade 77, 2nd round prospect)

-Pros: Elite arm strength, makes wow throws with arm strength and accuracy that only he can make, tough, competitive, mobility, size, may have arm talent to overcome deficiencies 

-Cons: Does not seem to process the game, misses open WRs, drops eyes to early and runs, misses routine throws, accuracy declines after 1st read, poor statistics

7) Lamar Jackson (Grade 75, 3rd round prospect)

- Pros: Elite running ability, quick release, makes wow plays every game, show ability to go through progressions, escapability, extends plays

-Cons: Very inconsistent accuracy, lots of over throws on tape, ugly turnovers

8) Logan Woodside (Grade 73, 4th round prospect)

-Pros: Senior, unmatchable work ethic, football intelligence, quick processor, accurate at all three levels, raises level of play of his teammates, quick release, progression ability, pocket presence

- Cons: may not have enough arm strength to be NFL starter, size

Other QBs that will likely be drafted late in the draft (I consider them developmental back ups): Lauletta, Falk, Benkert, Litton

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Interested in seeing why folk rank the QB's where they do. I made a post explaining how I arrived at the rank I did. Speaking of the QB's available in the 2018 draft. This isn't a setup to flame folk for thier metrics, although I can't control others. Would love to see points that have not been shown elsewhere.

Wait, you made a post on this topic in another thread then started a new thread and didn’t even include that posts content?

is this one of those parody threads?!?

1) Baker Mayfield: Plays to win. Incredibly accurate. Clutch. Leader. Athletic. Good arm. If he was 6'3", the Browns would be designing Super Bowl rings. NFL Comparison: Brees : Top 5
2) Josh Rosen: Prototypical NFL QB. Pulled his team out of big holes, but also put them in some. Big arm, pretty accurate, but takes a lot of chances. Not sure about his character. Reminds me of Kelly, but I fear he could be Cutler : Top 10

3) Mason Rudolph:  Huge kid. Pro-ready toolset. Accurate. Clutch. Leader. Resilient. Doesn't have the biggest arm, but improved mechanics could fix that. Top 20

4) Sam Darnold: One year wonder. Only played 2 years and regressed badly in his second year. I feel like he plays down to the level of his competition. He could be great, but I think it's far from a lock. He's also a USC QB, so I want no part of that : Top 20

5) Lamar Jackson: Elite athlete. Accuracy is a major problem. Runs for about 50% of what he throws for. I think this is Tyrod Taylor in a bigger body. I don't see how any team could consider him an early first round prospect. He isn't anywhere NEAR the prospect Watson was. : 4th Round

6) Josh Allen: I just don't get it. He looks like a QB, but to me that's where the similarities end. Horrendous accuracy and a massive arm. Hardly ever played against any legitimate teams, and the lone impressive win was against Boise his first year.  He's the next Ricky Vaughan of the NFL. If he's as successful as Jeff George without sitting on the bench for a couple of years, I'll be floored. : 4th round 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Billsfanatixs said:

I would rather talk linebackers and wide receivers.

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Wait, you made a post on this topic in another thread then started a new thread and didn’t even include that posts content?

is this one of those parody threads?!?

It must be like one extra scroll for you on mouse wheel to pass it by. Dont be a tool dude

I like seeing some of the guys you all are posting that arent in the consensus top 4, gives me some guys to look at.

1. Allen: elite arm, played in a more pro-style offense than all other QB's except Darnold, low comp % is scary though his supporting cast was terrible

2. Rosen: athletically probably the most all-around gifted QB but does not have near the arm of Allen or Darnold.  Played in more than one offensive system at UCLA

3. Mayfield: may have second highest ceiling and the lowest floor, can accuracy trump height? He is either Drew Brees/Russell Wilson or pick any of 20 short QBs to flame out over the last 10 years.  

4. Darnold: pro-style system with above average arm talent.  Throws too many picks which for me is more of a red flag than Allen's comp percentage.  Got worse as time went on just like almost all USC QBs do.  

1) Lamar-

because hes not white, old school stereotyping front offices will assume he can’t throw, read defenses or the playbook.  He’ll fall mid to late first round but end up in canton as the most prolific passer in nfl history. During his induction Bill Polian will swear, from his motorized wheelchair, that he would’ve been a better wr. 

2) Rudolph 

He will use his rookie year holding the clipboard learning how to move his lower body as part of his throwing motion and read the other post that he’s the second coming of Brady on TBD, and believe it.

He’ll go on to have  a Flacco like career with the Steelers for about a decade until his career is permanently ended by a bitter and old James Harrison still playing, against his former team. 

3) Darnold 

will use his “small hands Sam” nick-name to stoke his inner fire. He Will have an illustrious Rivers&Stafford-like career in Cleveland where he’s always just good enough to warrant fantasy selection and keep Sam Bradford from starting, once AZ casts him off, but will win exactly 0 playoff games because his cap hit disallows any more than rookie contract players at all positions except punter and long snapper 

4) Johnny mayfield 

will be the most prolific passer in the Montreal Auloettes  history.  For Tim Hortons he will sponsor the “Bakers dozen” an assortment of short bread donuts with a sassy frosting offered at food trucks everywhere after hours. 

5) Rosen 

will sign his rookie deal with the jets, suffer a concussion in training camp after running into a parked golf cart while tweeting smack to chip for annointing the new UCLA QB “the ‘more’ chosen one”. He’ll retire with his guaranteed money and open a deli in the Fairfax District of LA with Chip’s picture on the wall and a do not serve sign. 

6) white

because he is white as is his name, he will be way overdrafted assuming he’s a textbook, classic pocket passer.  The dolphins will later admit that the only thing dumber than drafting a qb who played WR in high school like Tannyhill was drafting a pitcher who didn’t even play football until high school. 

7) Allen

After washing out of Denver with a 3:1 interception to TD ratio, he will join up with Alex Tanny and Nate Peterman on a traveling road show of football trick-shots. While Peterman and tanny throw into and at small moving objects,  He will wow them by throwing through, large stationery objects.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. Allen: elite arm, played in a more pro-style offense than all other QB's except Darnold, low comp % is scary though his supporting cast was terrible

At first I think i prejudicially waved off Allen, Had someone else in mind. whenever looking at this stuff i try to forget who i'm in love with and go back to watching everything as if it was the Bills pic. Being an optimous and a Bills fan,I may get pissed when they pick, (Out loud, tell everyone in the bar kinda pissed, Hrmmph WATKINS!!), but I will find a reason he was the best pick. If I didn't, i would be a Pittsburg fan. Don't tell me you guys haven't joked about that once or twice.

That said, what I do like about him ishis ability to adli, he made a couple Flutiesk tosses, Is damn nimble for a dude 6"3, solid frame.  Still not my number 1 pick, but at 12, I will pissed.

1 minute ago, Billsfanatixs said:

At first I think i prejudicially waved off Allen, Had someone else in mind. whenever looking at this stuff i try to forget who i'm in love with and go back to watching everything as if it was the Bills pic. Being an optimous and a Bills fan,I may get pissed when they pick, (Out loud, tell everyone in the bar kinda pissed, Hrmmph WATKINS!!), but I will find a reason he was the best pick. If I didn't, i would be a Pittsburg fan. Don't tell me you guys haven't joked about that once or twice.

That said, what I do like about him ishis ability to adli, he made a couple Flutiesk tosses, Is damn nimble for a dude 6"3, solid frame.  Still not my number 1 pick, but at 12, I will pissed.

If the media didn't like Allen so much I would probably have given him an even lower grade. His tape is awful. It is hard to find good games on him. He does make some unbelievable throws a few times a game though.

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

1) Lamar-

because hes not white, old school stereotyping front offices will assume he can’t throw, read defenses or the playbook.  He’ll fall mid to late first round but end up in canton as the most prolific passer in nfl history. During his induction Bill Polian will swear, from his motorized wheelchair, that he would’ve been a better wr. 

I'm not sure if the fact that you complimented the "Non-white" makes up for the politically incorrectness of drawing attentions to ones skin tone.     :lol:

As a reminder I am eminently unqualified to grade qbs, but here are my thoughts:

1)  Darnold

+ Has moxy, nice arm, won a lot of games, great size

- I watched a lot of PAC 12 ball and he rarely popped.  Turns the ball over.  Would have loved another year of college, but don't blame him for coming out

2) Mayfield

+ He keeps creeping up for me.  Experienced starter at 2 schools.  2x walk on is amazing.  Great arm talent

- He is short- there is no getting around that.  College athleticism may not translate to pros.  A bit wacky for a franchise qb, with crotch grapping and cop chasing

3) Rosen

+great size, pedigree and accuracy

-dude got hurt. Often.  Seems like a a bit of a jerk

4) Lauletta

+Dude balled out at the senior bowl.  Seems smart and accurate.  Some team will love him

-does he have an nfl arm?  Playing at Richmond doesn't help

5) Allen

+ Huge.  Has a cannon.  Yes he didn't play much competition, but did he have much in the way of teammates? Pro style experience

- College completion % is bad.  Needs to sit for a full year- not play after week 3

6) Jackson

+A weapon, can throw and run and put up some sick numbers

- How accurate will he be?  QBs that run that much will get wiped the hell out in the NFL

All this being said, I like Darnold and Allen the best

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

2. Rosen: athletically probably the most all-around gifted QB but does not have near the arm of Allen or Darnold.  Played in more than one offensive system at UCLA

3. Mayfield: may have second highest ceiling and the lowest floor, can accuracy trump height? He is either Drew Brees/Russell Wilson or pick any of 20 short QBs to flame out over the last 10 years.  

4. Darnold: pro-style system with above average arm talent.  Throws too many picks which for me is more of a red flag than Allen's comp percentage.  Got worse as time went on just like almost all USC QBs do.  

Darnold has a better arm than Rosen? I swear yall just be saying anything on this message board lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

1. Baker

+ his completion percentage, can throw deep, pretty agile

- size

2. Darnold

+ lively arm and ability to shed pass rushers

- turnovers this year

3. Rosen

+ can make a lot of throws

- injuries, lack of mobility in age of faster DEs and LBs

4. Jackson

+ mobility, played in pro-style offense with Petrino

- completion percentage could've been better

5. Rudolph

+ 3 straight years with over 3700 yards. Had 66 more TD than INT

- small hands could be a problem in WNY weather

6. Allen

+ arm strength, hard to take down because of size

- completion percentage in era of many DB flags

8 hours ago, billspro said:

Baker Mayfield (Grade 82, 1st round prospect)

- Pros: deadly short and intermediate accuracy, clutch, creates energy, leader, winner, arm strength, mobility, moves around pocket well, progression ability, senior 

-Cons: size, sometimes misses throwing lanes, s

I'll take this

• Like (+1) 1

1. Mayfield - Accurate to every level of the field. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Slides well in the pocket to find his throwing lanes. Diagnoses the what he sees quickly to recognize the open man. Sees the whole field most of the time.

2. Rosen - A natural QB who doesn't need to be coached up on fundamentals. Can make every throw to every level and it looks effortless. Can manipulate the defense with his eyes and reads defenses well. 

3. Darnold - This is where I believe there's a drop off. Darnold is talented, yes, but he's not the natural QB that Rosen is nor the fiery competitor that Mayfield is. He may end up being a franchise QB or he may end up being Mark Sanchez. His good stretches are good, but his bad stretches are bad. 

4. Allen - Accuracy. Is it the lack of talent around him or is it just who he is? Has a cannon for an arm. Is he smart enough for the Pro game? He is a boom or bust prospect. 

5. Jackson - Sheer athleticism alone has me put him here. He can do things with his legs that no other QB can. The question is will he survive at QB? I don't think so, bit I still think he is more of a playmaker than any of the other guys remaining. 

6. Rudolph - College production doesn't mean NFL success. Nothing about him makes me feel he is special. He has the size, but his arm isn't as good as some of the other guys. The ball doesn't jump off of his hand. He had probably the best receiving group to throw to out of all the QB's as well. I see his absolute ceiling being Andy Dalton. I don't think he's even Andy Dalton though to be honest. 

• Like (+1) 1