Dan Patrick: Bills have called Browns about #1 pick

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm willing to give up next years because we have so much cap room next year, we can use that towards filling a need.

Two, I really hope we build upon last year and this pick will be in the 20's for 2019.

They might be willing to up the offer because of that.  Just a matter of the Giants even want to trade #2.  

2 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I think that's the Bills only chance.  Browns go QB at #1, and Barkley goes #2, then maybe we can trade to #4.  If Giants go QB, then Barkley is there at #4 and the Browns take him for sure.  Then I'm not sure where we are

Agreed - I have reasonable confidence we will see QBs go 1-2-3 (not buying the Giants lack of interest), giving the Browns the best prospect in the draft in Barkley. 

Giving up lots of draft capital to go up for the 4th QB prospect wouldn't be ideal. 

Starting to see A LOT of speculation the Jets move was about getting in front of Cleveland to take Barkley. The line of think is basically McCown has the starter job on lock, they view Bridgewater as a QB of the future, Maccagnan won't survive another down year, so they move up to take Barkley in front of Cleveland for an immediate impact guy and if Barkley goes before them they turn around and flip the pick to a QB desperate team for potentially more than they originally gave up.

It makes some sense in that Maccagnan is bad at his job and could certainly be in self preservation mode.  If they took QB, they basically used 4 draft picks on a guy who may not even play in a make or break year for him.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

I'm against trading up for what cost would be. None of these quarterbacks is such a sure thing to warrant what it would require to get to top four picks. Everyone of these guys have enough question marks to make them a huge risk for the price. Seems like this would set our team back years if the pick doesn't turn out to be more than just a good quarterback.

You're right. The Bills have to decide if one of these QB's is "their guy". If he is, then they will do what ever it takes to move up & grab him. If they aren't sold on anyone in particular, with the signing of McCarron, they now have the ability to either remain at #12 or do a mini trade up to get their 2nd thru 4th choice. It all depends if they view one of these guys as a can't miss NFL QB. Beane is too smart to waste all of his draft capital on a QB that he & his scouts deem "iffy".

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Starting to see A LOT of speculation the Jets move was about getting in front of Cleveland to take Barkley. The line of think is basically McCown has the starter job on lock, they view Bridgewater as a QB of the future, Maccagnan won't survive another down year, so they move up to take Barkley in front of Cleveland for an immediate impact guy and if Barkley goes before them they turn around and flip the pick to a QB desperate team for potentially more than they originally gave up.

It makes some sense in that Maccagnan is bad at his job and could certainly be in self preservation mode.  If they took QB, they basically used 4 draft picks on a guy who may not even play in a make or break year for him.

I think that is BS to try to get the Giants to stay at 2 and take Barkley. They don’t want the Bills trading up to 2 and taking the guy that they want at 3. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I brought this up after they made the trade and was told it was impossible that they did it for a QB and you don't trade what they did for a RB, cause you can get one later (which is the new belief that RBs are a dime a dozen and can be found anywhere)

I'm sure the jags (Fournette) and Cowboys (Elliotte) regret taking those guys when they could just pick someone off the street to play that position....

33 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They have no money left for any impact FAs this year and still have a bunch of needs to fill for this season which will now have to be through the draft. They won't be able to do that if they give away all their picks to select someone who is most likely going to end up the next Winston or Marriotta, and then telling a fan base who just had their first playoff game in over a decade to wait til next year when we can spend some money in FA, which also means they will have even more holes to fill to replace the guys who's salaries are coming off the books.

They can stay put and still take a good prospect QB in Jackson or Rudolph with one of their picks to go along with a QB who has potential to also be a good starter in this league in McCarron while using the draft capital they have to restock the roster with some talent. I'm sure Kyle would have been eager to come back knowing the plan was to wait til next year to get better

I dunno... i think you are going to be very disappointed.

Also. "give away all their picks to select someone who is most likely going to end up the next Winston or Marriotta" this tells me you have a fundamental disagreement with the point of this post. Right or wrong, you are down on it before anything is even done. You have your preference and are probably in the minority. 

I ask that you open your mind a bit to the possibility that its not as dire as you make it. Another 1 and done run to the playoffs is worth sacrificing for the potential to a 10-15 year period in more often than not. I think getting rid of Taylor is a sign the team feels this way too... now its just a matter of how much is too much. 

most here are good with 2/3 1's (not that fans matter in that regard) and itll be interesting to see what Beane feels is too much.

Barring a stick in the mud - sadly my friend, i think you might end up one bummed Bills fan.

Conversely, should nothing be done, there might be a lot of bummed Bills fans... but everything happens for a reason so on to the next thing! 

Edited by gobills1212

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that is BS to try to get the Giants to stay at 2 and take Barkley. They don’t want the Bills trading up to 2 and taking the guy that they want at 3. 

It very well might be, but it wouldn't be the first time an exec has sacrificed what's best long term for a franchise over trying to ensure himself another paycheck.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't see that happening at all but if it did, Bills fans should donate money to MacCagan's favorite charity.

If you are going to trade the house to get your QB, you might as well do what you gotta do to get to #1 and select the best house on the street. 

NYJ trading away all that stock for possibly the 3rd best QB is dumb IMO.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Anybody who believes Jets gave up three 2nd rounders for a RB who might not be available at 3 is a fool.  

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Would being raised Jewish then be a plus in the New York Market?

It should be a plus in every market!  Haven't you ever had kugel and potato latkes?  My mother was Jewish, and that woman made potato latkes and kugel that could end wars.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Anybody who believes Jets gave up three 2nd rounders for a RB who might not be available at 3 is a fool.  

It makes about as much sense as the Jets trading three 2nd rounders to live with potentially the 3rd QB available.

12 minutes ago, billykay said:

You're right. The Bills have to decide if one of these QB's is "their guy". If he is, then they will do what ever it takes to move up & grab him. If they aren't sold on anyone in particular, with the signing of McCarron, they now have the ability to either remain at #12 or do a mini trade up to get their 2nd thru 4th choice. It all depends if they view one of these guys as a can't miss NFL QB. Beane is too smart to waste all of his draft capital on a QB that he & his scouts deem "iffy".

rep pt to you for making common sense more common. 

Very well said IMO and also a view to not become a heartbroken fan regardless of the outcome!