Dan Patrick: Bills have called Browns about #1 pick

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

i should have set that stipulation, but that was the only option i was actually referring to. Much like the Jets, I'd pay a little more to have it set in stone. 

Sadly, 3 has the variable of 2. 2 prob cant be jumped. 

food for thought... i find it funny jets fans mostly are happy it guarantees then 1 of the 4. I cant imagine doing that and settling for the scraps.

Some people argue they over paid but jets fans for it think they didnt... and id love to see the bills jump the jets and see the bitter jets fans say the bills overpaid..

It's way too soon to say that 3 means you settle for scraps. Wentz went after Goff, Roethlisberger after Rivers, Marino after Obrien etc. The NYG may not be taking a QB. Some NFL types believe the NYG and NYJ don't do business with each other. There only needs to be one QB that the NYJ or any team likes available at 3. If only one is off the board, the odds of that are pretty good. The NYJ GM is on the thinnest of ice, one foot probably broke through already. He knows he had to take a swing, because he fired otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Draft trade value for first is 3000.  Bills top 5 picks equal that in value.  Equitable trade but that will not happen.  Always wanting more. 9 selections in the first three rounds is tempting. 

You can throw the value chart out the window now as GMs are going to want a premium knowing what the Jets paid to only move up 3 spots. The Browns or Giants would be moving down 10-11 spots most likely taking them out of any chance of getting a player they could have gotten at that spot. Colts move down and still have a chance at who they could have had at 3.

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

No way Cleveland moves out of 1. Browns need players, they already have a great draft board. At some point you need to take high end players in a draft and stop accumulating so many picks.

I don't understand this.

The selection at # 4 gives them play to still get a QB or upper-end franchise player. Like you say, they add a ton of picks over time because the roster is needing players.

They just got that stop gap QB who they are at least talking like they (at least in pressers) dont feel is a stop gap, while that may be a smokescreen, i think it at least allows them to find a developmental QB and not a surefire day 1 starter. They are perfect to draft a guy like Allen or Jackson and develop him.

Beaner's playing it cool. He's not going to tip his hand but he does have the draft capital to move up if he wants to. The question is, will he go for broke or sit tight and roll the dice on one of the QB's dropping down far enough to make a better deal than the one the Jets made?

I see Mayfield in our future

Edited by BmarvB

6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Again, we trade our starting QB, then jump up to 12th overall. Teams know Buffalos' intentions by now.

Hence why the Colts got the return they did from the Jets. Jets felt the heat from Buffalo moving up and thought they needed to strike asap.

What might have been the plan a couple of months ago may not be the plan as of today.  Things are fairly fluid in the NFL today versus a generation or two ago.  Moving to 12 might have been a part of a much more complex plan than you give credit for.  Staying at 12 for Smith or Evans plus moving to 7/8 for Mayfield/ Allen utilizing 22, a second along with another pick is just as likely in my mind as a big leap to 1 or 2.

imagine trading up with the Colts to #6

Colts could draft an entire team out of this one draft! lol

Browns pick at #4 is good as well, since the Giants might covet Barkley.

That guarantees you one of the "big 3" QBs and Allen might be one of the 2 that get drafted ahead of 4, which is a plus

It's looking more and more that Jets are in complete desperation mode.  They were all in on Cousins and he took less money from Vikings per the Peter King MMQB article.  Giants at 2 basically blocks them from ensuring they get one of their top 2 choices at QB.  Trading three 2nd rounders to move up to 3 was a panic move.  It will take nothing less than next years 1st rounder to get higher than 3 as Giants will not be helping them out without a pound of flesh.  Before McCagnan does that, Jets ownership would be wise to fire him.  

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

imagine trading up with the Colts to #6

Colts could draft an entire team out of this one draft! lol

This possibility was a big part of the reason the Colts chose to move to 6. They don't have tons of cap space and need players. The haul from the Jets was solid, and the potential to acquire even more picks from a team like BUF made the #6 spot a great move. 

I think the route to #2 is as follows, assuming the Giants don't want to drop down far AND covet Barkley.

Trade up to #4 with Cleveland, who once they take a QB have all the motivation in the world to trade down once Barkley is gone at #2

Swap #4 and #2 with the Giants, who could pick up a couple of premium picks to draft 4th, and be sure that they still get Barkley, since the Browns Bills and Jets all want QBs

Everybody wins in that scenario... even the Jets, who want the worst QB of the bunch in Allen (assuming that's true)

Edited by TheFunPolice

Colin Cowherd ( I know, I know) had an interstng point on his show today. He said the NYG org is very conservative and even though they know they need a QB, they won’t take one of the top guys this year who are ready to play like Rosen because of the pressure it will put on Eli. The NYG hated the blowback they got last year from benching him with the media, Manning Family, etc. BUT there is no way in hell they will let the Jets draft Rosen. They would feel he would steal the spotlight, also a reference to his religion and NYC market and they refuse to compete with that for PSLs, corporate sponsorship,etc. He thinks they will trade the pick to another team who wants Rosen and come out looking like a rose with all of their picks, then take a non-threatening QB later to groom. Even if they don’t know the Jets want him, they will make sure it doesn’t happen.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Colin Cowherd ( I know, I know) had an interstng point on his show today. He said the NYG org is very conservative and even though they know they need a QB, they won’t take one of the top guys this year who are ready to play like Rosen because of the pressure it will put on Eli. The NYG hated the blowback they got last year from benching him with the media, Manning Family, etc. BUT there is no way in hell they will let the Jets draft Rosen. They would feel he would steal the spotlight, also a reference to his religion and NYC market and they refuse to compete with that for PSLs, corporate sponsorship,etc. He thinks they will trade the pick to another team who wants Rosen and come out looking like a rose with all of their picks, then take a non-threatening QB later to groom. 

I thought Rosen has said he's an atheist ? 

5 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

They will have a preferred QB prospect in mind and will draft him at #1. 

If Barkley goes #2, they might be willing to move #4? 

I think that's the Bills only chance.  Browns go QB at #1, and Barkley goes #2, then maybe we can trade to #4.  If Giants go QB, then Barkley is there at #4 and the Browns take him for sure.  Then I'm not sure where we are

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Colin Cowherd ( I know, I know) had an interstng point on his show today. He said the NYG org is very conservative and even though they know they need a QB, they won’t take one of the top guys this year who are ready to play like Rose because of the pressure it will put on Eli. The NYG hated rh blowback they got last year from benching him with the media, manning Family, etc. BUT there is no way in hell they will let the Jets draft Rosen. They would feel he would steal the spotlight, also a reference to his religion and NYC market and they refuse to compete with that for PSLs, corporate sponsorship,etc. He thinks they will trade the pick to another team who wants Rosen and come out looking like a rose with all of their picks, then take a non-threatening QB later to groom. 

I think Gettleman wants Barkley, and if the Bills can swing a trade to #4 THEN swap with NYG he gets Barkley AND some extra picks, PLUS accomplishes the above.

That is the definition of a win-win-win for all involved. Browns get more picks and their choice of QB, Giants get the guy they want anyway plus some picks, Bills get at least their 2nd choice at QB if not their 1st

Jets probably still end up getting the guy they really want in Allen as well

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think the route to #2 is as follows, assuming the Giants don't want to drop down far AND covet Barkley.

Trade up to #4 with Cleveland, who once they take a QB have all the motivation in the world to trade down once Barkley is gone at #2

Swap #4 and #2 with the Giants, who could pick up a couple of premium picks to draft 4th, and be sure that they still get Barkley, since the Browns Bills and Jets all want QBs

Everybody wins in that scenario... even the Jets, who want the worst QB of the bunch in Allen (assuming that's true)

And how is Barkely off the board at #2 in this scenario ? 

2 hours ago, billspro said:

I think at the very least the Browns would let us know what QB they would select if they stay there. If they are not picking our guy, Beane will trade up to number 2 and the Browns will get Barkley at 4. It is in the Browns best interest to have us trade up to number 2. 

I don't understand why I've heard this.

Why on earth would the Browns tell us what QB they are going to draft, and on top of that, truthfully. It makes no sense.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

And how is Barkely off the board at #2 in this scenario ? 

I guess he wouldn't be... I worded that poorly

I meant that the Browns might trade #4 knowing the Giants are just going to take Barkley if he is there at #2 anyway. In other words, there is almost no way the Browns get Barkley unless the Giants trade out to the Bills straight up (without someone else being involved). So Browns might as well trade out of #4.

1 minute ago, MarkyMannn said:

I think that's the Bills only chance.  Browns go QB at #1, and Barkley goes #2, then maybe we can trade to #4.  If Giants go QB, then Barkley is there at #4 and the Browns take him for sure.  Then I'm not sure where we are

At that point you hope Elway and the Broncos are in win now mode and won't take a QB. Then you call Ballard and get into the 6 spot ( or 5 if Elway wants a bunch of picks to try and win now) 

• Like (+1) 1