Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Where is the proof that we are going to get a Big Ben by giving up our draft board? We could give up a ton of picks and still get Losman.

There is an element of luck here.

With all of our picks we are certain to get some very good players.

I think McCarron could be a very good QB and outside of Mayfield I don't see really good QB talent like Wentz or Goff. I would hate to see us trade most of our early picks for one of the QB's in this draft. If someone drops to around the 7th pick I wouldn't mind trading up for them but I don't want to trade our whole draft for a QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

There have only been 2 Luck caliber prospects ever, Luck and Elway. The only way to get a QB is to take a risk or hope you are picking 1st in the once a generation draft with the next Luck in it. 

Peyton Manning too

Just now, RochesterRob said:

W/O seeing all of his Cincy games the best stat in mind is his completion percentage which is pretty darn respectable.  In the games where he had at least 20 completions he posted over 250 yards 1 out of 2 times.  The other was against Denver which had tough defenses in that time frame.  I would assume other opposing QB's had their stats dinged when they played Denver.

AJ has a good Completion % and a good TD to INT ratio. 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

W/O seeing all of his Cincy games the best stat in mind is his completion percentage which is pretty darn respectable.  In the games where he had at least 20 completions he posted over 250 yards 1 out of 2 times.  The other was against Denver which had tough defenses in that time frame.  I would assume other opposing QB's had their stats dinged when they played Denver.

Note: Both were losses.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

There have only been 2 Luck caliber prospects ever, Luck and Elway. The only way to get a QB is to take a risk or hope you are picking 1st in the once a generation draft with the next Luck in it. 

I think we agree more than disagree.  I want the Bills to draft a QB this year and keep taking shots to land a franchise QB until they do, but with the Jets trading up, I think the cost of moving ahead of them is now too high for the QBs that are sitting there.

I don’t think it’s a good use of our draft capital.  I really wanted one of those guys at the top (I’m a Darnold guy) but not for what it is going to cost us to do it now.  The Jets move screwed us.

We are not just a QB away from relevancy, we have a lot of other holes that need filled.  Fill those holes this year, and maybe next year with a team that is only missing a QB to compete (if McCarron doesn’t work out), then sell the farm to get our QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I think there’s going to be an awfully lot of disappointed fans when we stay with our #12 pick.

I won't be disaapointed if we stay at #12.

IF we have someone graded and we want them then we should trade whatever we can for them.  We will never know though, unless we move to #2 and take that person.

So, no matter what happens I will not be disappointed.  Things may change for me before the draft, but I think Rosen is the only guy you MAY trade whatever it takes to get, but, not sold on Rosen being that guy though.  But, if the Bills are then I am fine with the move up to get him!

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Saying Cleveland passed on him for TT is being disingenuous 

Is it? They could have had AJ for roughly $5M a year and kept pick 65. They are paying Tyrod $16M and gave pick 65. I know that they tried to trade for AJ but they had the common sense to pull the plug.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is it? They could have had AJ for roughly $5M a year and kept pick 65. They are paying Tyrod $16M and gave pick 65. I know that they tried to trade for AJ but they had the common sense to pull the plug.

We are talking Cleveland, lol. They aren’t known for making great personnel decisions.

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Note: Both were losses.  

Both were against league leading defenses in Denver and Pittsburgh.  He most likely did not get a lot prep time leading up to the game as evidenced by his short spot duty versus playing a 3-4 game block where he is getting a lot of snaps in practice and time with the coaches.

Edited by RochesterRob

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McCarron was just an okay QB with CIn in 2015 when he surrounded by excellent talent with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert.  He's a game manager at the NFL level and that's exactly why he was left standing when all of the QB chairs were filled except for the Bills.   I think he'll be decent, but we should all want more than that. 

I think we do all want more than that.  Some on the Board want a specific guy...and will crucify Beane if he doesn't move heaven and earth to get him.  It's like others have said, no one knows who the Bills are targeting and we will likely no little more than by the time of the draft.  I do believe though that the folks at OBD know a hell of a lot more than any of us on this board know.  We just need to trust them to make the best decision.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Both were against league leading defenses in Denver in Pittsburgh.  He most likely did not get a lot prep time leading up to the game as evidenced by his short spot duty versus playing a 3-4 game block where he is getting a lot of snaps in practice and time with the coaches.

Nope. Dalton was injured and he was the starter for 4 games in 2015 and 1 more in the playoffs.  

7 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'm sure they did their homework well in advance. The messages to Hue Jackson and McCarron's former coaches came at the last minute because Beane didn't want to tip his hand to other teams. He did the research with no other teams knowing his plan, and then made a last minute check of other coaches just to see if there was a glaring reason not to pull the trigger on the deal.

"Not chess, Spock - poker." James T. Kirk

Well if we are talking "conspiracy theories" and and "potential scenarios".........maybe the Bills liked AJ McCarron.  And, maybe part of their homework was not many thought AJ that high on the FA QB list except for Cleveland.  Then we traded Cleveland TT to take the one confident suitor for AJ off the board?  That would be some serious poker!  First pick in the 3rd round and the #1 suitor for AJ off the board?

Go McBeane!  Or maybe it just happened that Cleveland was the only team that would trade an asset for TT and we were luckily able to double down?

If I was to make an educated guess and that is all it is, I would think the Bills FO graded out the FA QBs as follows (not including Cousins who was not in our game plan).........

1. Bradford

2. Keenum

3. McCown or AJ McCarron

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

His most important piece is his MLB just like it was in Carolina.

I agree I think the most important player in McD defense is MLB. He's the guy who is usually the QB of the defense, supporting the running game and dropping into pass coverage. 

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Saying Cleveland passed on him for TT is being disingenuous 

For those of you who don't know what disingenuous means just as I didn't........

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

10 minutes ago, Manther said:

I won't be disaapointed if we stay at #12.

IF we have someone graded and we want them then we should trade whatever we can for them.  We will never know though, unless we move to #2 and take that person.

So, no matter what happens I will not be disappointed.  Things may change for me before the draft, but I think Rosen is the only guy you MAY trade whatever it takes to get, but, not sold on Rosen being that guy though.  But, if the Bills are then I am fine with the move up to get him!

I’ll be disappointed if we reach and get an EJ.