Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

I don't want to worry about QB until all our other needs are fixed.  The way to win is to address all your needs in one draft - win enough games to prove you have very few needs - then some year down the road worry about QB.  Hopefully we win enough games to never have an opportunity to draft one of the top QB's coming out of college - I mean they do have a low success rate.  

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

We could have had Russell Wilson in the 3rd round but we drafter a WR who was a bust. I almost smashed my TV when we passed on Wilson.

LOL.  It was the height that scared most teams off.  We passed on a QB that year because we though Ryan Fitzpatrick would excel with the right team around him which is kind of my point.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes.  Look at my avatar.  Fricken trade up. There's three great QB prospects in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield imo. I'm sick of being in a constant state of mediocrity because we can't find our franchise QB.  Picking 1st round QB's outside the top 10 hasn't worked.  Trading for promising backups hasn't worked.

Nice bud, bc u just had me confused. I never stated to pick qb at 12. I am with u and all for trading up! I just feel like 1 or 2 qb's will slide, and 1 of them McBeane likes and will trade up btwn 6-10 to get him

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

This Management is too smart to throw away 6 picks within the top 100 players for an unknown quality kid QB.  None of them stand out like a sure deal.  Good Post!

1 minute ago, Manther said:

IMO McCarron will be given a chance AND we will draft a QB who will also be given a chance.  The two are not mutualy exclusive.

I think the only way McCarron doesn't start day one are......

- we draft Rosen

- McCarron gets hurt

- Peterman wins the job in TC (not likely)

I’d like McCarron to have an honest chance.  I think if we “sell the farm” to draft an “elite” QB this year, we put McCarron on the field with a team so full of holes that he has the deck stacked against him.  We need WR, LB, O-line help in a big way.  We don’t get to fill those holes if we move up to the 2nd pick.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

There's no hard and fast rule for this nor should there be.  See Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz for reference. 

I'm more in tune with what Andy Reid did with Mahomes, that's how it should be done. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Jimmy G, Dak Prescott, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins and so many more benefitted from sitting on the bench. You say start him, we're just going to have to disagree on that one. Wait until the game is agonizingly slow for whoever it is we draft. Some of these guys have never taken snaps under center or audibled a play before in their life, handle them with kiddy gloves.

6 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

I agree, I don't see them moving to top 5 and mortgaging a lot of picks. But every year a player slides. There are 4 top qb's and I doubt all 4 go in top 5 picks. I feel we will trade up inbetween 6-10 to get 1 of the qb's that slide. We would still have some nice picks for top tier prospects

We should only do this if a guy we really like is the one that slides.  I don’t want to chase.  

As for McCarron, he will be our starting qb unless he has a poor performance in camp.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes.  Look at my avatar.  Fricken trade up. There's three great QB prospects in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield imo. I'm sick of being in a constant state of mediocrity because we can't find our franchise QB.  Picking 1st round QB's outside the top 10 hasn't worked.  Trading for promising backups hasn't worked.

I disagree.

That in itself is not what didn't work.

What didn't work is seeing that JP was a miss, and refusing to admit it. They pretended. They did not react. And then missed opportunities. 

We saw that Trent was damaged somehow. He wouldn't throw long. He took the checkdown. There were songs about it. They refused to do anything.

We saw that EJ looked lost his first year. They refused to admit it. Instead they used 2 firsts to get Sammy Watkins.

We saw that Tyrod had issues. They said he was essentially, a rookie. They refused to do anything. For years. 

So in this last instance Watson goes to the cowboys and Mahomes to the Cheifs.

Them living in a dream world is what got us here.

So if we have to trade a gazillion picks to get a QB oh well. We have to do what we have to do. But it isn't because it is the only way. The better way is to stay rooted in reality and react to what you see.

So for me if they give McCarron a shot and he stinks, and they react to it, I will be fine.  I don't think giving him a chance has to be a bad thing.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I'm more in tune with what Andy Reid did with Mahomes, that's how it should be done. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Jimmy G, Dak Prescott, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins and so many more benefitted from sitting on the bench. You say start him, we're just going to have to disagree on that one. Wait until the game is agonizingly slow for whoever it is we draft. Some of these guys have never taken snaps under center or audibled a play before in their life, handle them with kiddy gloves.

Mahomes needed that time to sit.  Like I posted before, it depends on who the rookie is. 

4 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

Nice bud, bc u just had me confused. I never stated to pick qb at 12. I am with u and all for trading up! I just feel like 1 or 2 qb's will slide, and 1 of them McBeane likes and will trade up btwn 6-10 to get him

My gut feeling is that if one falls to #5 the Broncos will take whatever of the four QB's are left.  I hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I’d like McCarron to have an honest chance.  I think if we “sell the farm” to draft an “elite” QB this year, we put McCarron on the field with a team so full of holes that he has the deck stacked against him.  We need WR, LB, O-line help in a big way.  We don’t get to fill those holes if we move up to the 2nd pick.

TT had almost the same team last year and the roster will be slightly better when the season starts even if we trade most of our picks (which I don't think we do or need to do to move up).  

McCarron is better than TT.  IMO the deck is not stacked against McCarron.

26 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don’t know if “the process” involves giving up an entire draft to grab a QB on a team with an inadequate WR and LB corps, and a questionable O line.

We would have to give up every pick this year, next year and the year after.  It's not worth it, you're right.  

We need WR's and TE's before we give two craps about getting a QB.  Half our o line needs to be replaced so what good would a QB do any way?  We shouldn't be worried about addressing QB for at least 3-4 years.