Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Where is the proof that we are going to get a Big Ben by giving up our draft board? We could give up a ton of picks and still get Losman.

There is an element of luck here.

With all of our picks we are certain to get some very good players.

He showed potential when thrown into difficult situations. That’s about all you can say at this point.

Cleveland was going to give up 2nd and 3rd round picks for him.

They knew he was headed for UFA and could have had him for no compensation.  Instead they traded a 3rd for Tyrod.  Speaks volumes. 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Which takes us back to if he can have 250 yard games which is fairly pedestrian then would he not more than suffice if we complement McCoy with RB's (which we have already started to do) to maybe have a top 7 running game.  If we give McDermott his MLB so he can produce at least a top 10 defense in terms of yards allowed.  It's wonderful to want everything all at once but the above objectives if met would give us a team that would for sure contend into the divisional round then tweak it to go the rest of the way.

He didn't produce 250 yard games with superior talent in CIN.   Sorry, but I'm not pinning any hopes for long term success on McCarron and a MLB. 

Great QBs are found in all rounds of the draft.  Hell, Kurt Warner wasn’t even drafted.  I admit that one of the guys at the top of this draft has a good chance to be great.  The question is which one?  

If the Jets hadn’t jumped to three, I was all for moving up and trading our 1st round picks and a second or third to grab one of those guys, but now I think the cost for moving up ahead of the Jets is just going to be too steep.

Does someone really look at one of these QBs at the top of the board and see someone like an Andrew Luck type of prospect who is worth giving up that much draft capital for?  I don’t see anyone like that.  It’s just my opinion, but I don’t see someone worth “selling the farm” for this year.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They knew he was headed for UFA and could have had him for no compensation.  Instead they traded a 3rd for Tyrod.  Speaks volumes. 

He didn't produce 250 yard games with superior talent in CIN.   Sorry, but I'm not pinning any hopes for long term success on McCarron and a MLB. 

Welp, I am not pinning my hopes on an incomplete defense lacking perhaps its most important piece, not getting a WR that can stretch the defense, not getting a RB to spell McCoy and take over if Shady goes down, and not getting an OL that can lead that group.  All of which might be sitting there for the taking in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Is not taking low probability long shots and hoping to beat the odds another way to describe giving up a large part of your draft to move up to get a QB prospect all of whom have warts of various types?  

You are more likely to get a good QB by trading up and getting one than you are spending all the other picks on a QB. 

3 minutes ago, Manther said:

I don't understand your comment McCarron "has nothing to do with TT"?

Low yards and attempts.  

Yet still 2-1 in the regular season as a starter. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not true at all.

e0lbbk.jpg

The loss in the playoff game was not on AJ.  

The Cinci board moderator is explained that 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Which takes us back to if he can have 250 yard games which is fairly pedestrian then would he not more than suffice if we complement McCoy with RB's (which we have already started to do) to maybe have a top 7 running game.  If we give McDermott his MLB so he can produce at least a top 10 defense in terms of yards allowed.  It's wonderful to want everything all at once but the above objectives if met would give us a team that would for sure contend into the divisional round then tweak it to go the rest of the way.

Most folks say 300+ yards/game is good.  So, 250 isn't pedestrian.  I would think 250 yards/game would be average.

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Great QBs are found in all rounds of the draft.  Hell, Kurt Warner wasn’t even drafted.  I admit that one of the guys at the top of this draft has a good chance to be great.  The question is which one?  

If the Jets hadn’t jumped to three, I was all for moving up and trading our 1st round picks and a second or third to grab one of those guys, but now I think the cost for moving up ahead of the Jets is just going to be too steep.

Does someone really look at one of these QBs at the top of the board and see someone like an Andrew Luck type of prospect who is worth giving up that much draft capital for?  I don’t see anyone like that.  It’s just my opinion, but I don’t see someone worth “selling the farm” for this year.

There have only been 2 Luck caliber prospects ever, Luck and Elway. The only way to get a QB is to take a risk or hope you are picking 1st in the once a generation draft with the next Luck in it. 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Low yards and attempts.  

Yet still 2-1 in the regular season as a starter. 

I understand, so, you are saying they are different style QBs and played in systems that use them differently?  Correct?

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Welp, I am not pinning my hopes on an incomplete defense lacking perhaps its most important piece, not getting a WR that can stretch the defense, not getting a RB to spell McCoy and take over if Shady goes down, and not getting an OL that can lead that group.  All of which might be sitting there for the taking in the draft.

The most important pieces on McDermott's defenses are on the DL and those pieces will lead to nowhere witout a franchise QB. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not true at all.

e0lbbk.jpg

W/O seeing all of his Cincy games the best stat in mind is his completion percentage which is pretty darn respectable.  In the games where he had at least 20 completions he posted over 250 yards 1 out of 2 times.  The other was against Denver which had tough defenses in that time frame.  I would assume other opposing QB's had their stats dinged when they played Denver.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

TT has had a chance to prove himself and McCarron hasn’t.

That is a true fact!  I don't think McCarron will be our franchise QB, but, that would be a great surprise.  But, unlikely.

I just hope McCarron is more of a traditional QB that allows the team to make plays and get move the ball against the better teams.  I think both of those things are likely...thusly it should help our team.  We need to beat good teams (which we did last year) and can't always have the luxury of being ahead all game with stout Defense (we could need to come from behind better or at all).  I think AJ improves our chances with that.  

1 hour ago, Bills4life1924 said:

They call it "the process" for a reason. I highly doubt McCarron was part of the thinking behind "the process". Plus Beane had no intention of even signing AJ until the night before he actually signed him. Beane admitted that he contacted Hue Jackson and previous coaches the night before McCarrin put ink to paper. If they really thought highly of him, McBeane would have done their homework prior to the night before.

I'm sure they did their homework well in advance. The messages to Hue Jackson and McCarron's former coaches came at the last minute because Beane didn't want to tip his hand to other teams. He did the research with no other teams knowing his plan, and then made a last minute check of other coaches just to see if there was a glaring reason not to pull the trigger on the deal.

"Not chess, Spock - poker." James T. Kirk