Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He’s a super competitive guy who is used to winning.

We’ve tried drafting QB in the first round and giving up 1st round picks for QB’s and that hasn’t worked out either.

Would you say there's a better chance of acquiring a franchise QB in the top 10 of the NFL draft or trading for a later round NFL backup that's looked good in limited game action?

Edited by Doc Brown

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He’s a super competitive guy who is used to winning.

We’ve tried drafting QB in the first round and giving up 1st round picks for QB’s and that hasn’t worked out either.

The Bills have never don that for a QB at the top of the draft.  You have just a bit of Bama bias in your posts. :)

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Would you say there's a better chance of acquiring a franchise QB in the top 10 of the NFL draft or trading for a later round backup that's looked good in limited game action?

He thinks Mccarron is going to be our franchise guy. 

Just wanted Ted to let you know who you’re debating. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I'm pulling for McCarron, I don't care if we trade up to #1, he should be the starter until he does something to lose the job.

Redshirt the rookie, pray that a year from now we have 2 good QBs, trade McCarron for multiple draft picks.

He should be the starter if he earns the job. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Would you say there's a better chance of acquiring a franchise QB in the top 10 of the NFL draft or trading for a later round backup that's looked good in limited game action?

Is it worth giving up a ton of draft picks for the chance to get Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, or Allen? I don’t think so.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He should be the starter if he earns the job. 

The backup is always the most popular guy on the team. If we start a rookie week 1 and he goes through growing pains, fans will be banging the table for McCarron to come in.

Give the rookie all the time in the world. Sit him down, if McCarron is sucking 5-6 games into the season bench him for [insert draft choice].

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Bledsoe.  Before that Rob Johnson.

We could have had Russell Wilson in the 3rd round but we drafted a WR who was a bust. I almost smashed my TV when we passed on Wilson.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

Id say we gave Tyrod an honest shot at winning the job. He did. He had a winning record. We made the playoffs. And we bitched and whined every minute of it as fans bc he wasnt a “franchise QB”. So yeh, lets relive that with AJ. Sounds lovely. No thanks. 

I want to trade the farm now for a QB. That way if he needs to be burned at the stake, it’ll br well-deserved. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bills4life1924 said:

Okay but after so long aren't you ready to try again to find our brady, brees, rodgers, wilson, luck, etc...???

Yes.  Look at my avatar.  Fricken trade up. There's three great QB prospects in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield imo. I'm sick of being in a constant state of mediocrity because we can't find our franchise QB.  Picking 1st round QB's outside the top 10 hasn't worked.  Trading for promising backups hasn't worked.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

The backup is always the most popular guy on the team. If we start a rookie week 1 and he goes through growing pains, fans will be banging the table for McCarron to come in.

Give the rookie all the time in the world. Sit him down, if McCarron is sucking 5-6 games into the season bench him for [insert draft choice].

There's no hard and fast rule for this nor should there be.  See Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz for reference. 

28 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

IMO McCarron will be given a chance AND we will draft a QB who will also be given a chance.  The two are not mutualy exclusive.

I think the only way McCarron doesn't start day one are......

- we draft Rosen

- McCarron gets hurt

- Peterman wins the job in TC (not likely)

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Yes.  Look at my avatar.  Fricken trade up. There's three great QB prospects in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield imo. I'm sick of being in a constant state of mediocrity because we can't find our franchise QB.  Picking 1st round QB's outside the top 10 hasn't worked.  Trading for promising backups hasn't worked.

No proof they won’t be mediocre or worse.