Baker Mayfield

Mayfield is the best prospect coming out of this years draft for a number of reasons.

PRODUCTION

His college production stands out against any of the other prospects, and it's not even close.  

Mayfield-  3 Years.    70% Comp. %.   12,300 Pass Yds (4100 Avg).  119 TD's.  21 INTs, 895 Rush Yds. 19 Rush TDs. 189.4 QB Rating

Darnold-  2 Years.  65% Comp %,  7,229 Pass Yds. 57 TD's (3600 Avg).  22 INTs, 332 Rush Yds, 7 Rush TD's.  153.7 QB Rating

Rosen-    3 Years.   61% Comp %.  9,340 Pass Yds (3100 Avg) .  59 TD's.  26 INTs, -154 Rush Yds, 6 Rush TD's  140.7 QB Rating

Allen-   3 Years (2 as Starter)  56.2% Comp %, 5066 Pass Yds, (2500 Avg 2 yrs as starter) 44 TD's, 21 INTs, 767 Rush Yards, 12 Rush TDs.   137.7 QB Rating

COMPETITION

Not only did he have the most production, but he did it against the toughest competition on some of the biggest stages.  Below are the stats of each QB vs. the ranking of the team when they played them.

Mayfield:  2017 Played vs #2, 3, 8, 10,11 ranked.  5 games:  4-1 Record.  68.5  Comp % for 1847 Yards, 17 TD's / 3 INT's w/ QB Rating 200

Darnold:  2017 Played vs #5, 13, 14, 16, 20, 23.  6 Games:  3-3 Record:  66.8 Comp % for 1702 Yards, 10 TD's / 6 INTs w/ QB Rating 165

Rosen:  2017 Played vs #12, 15 Ranked.  2 Games:  0-2 Record  60.2 Comp % for 514 Yards, 4 TD / 1 INTs w/ QB Rating 127

Allen:  2017 Played 0 Ranked Teams

RANKING

Mayfield:  3 Years Oklahoma finished 3, 5, 5 ranked in the country

Darnold:  2 Years at USC Finished 11, 12 in the country

Rosen:  3 Years at UCLA Finished 78, 91, 42 in the country

Allen:  2 Years at Wyoming Finished 37, 55th in the country

TEAMMATES LOVE HIM

It's been reported through various outlets that his teammates love him and will run through a wall for him.  Sal C also gave some interesting tidbits at the Senior Bowl, about how he was shaking everyone's hand and getting jacked up with every positive play his team was making IN PRACTICE.  We all know what players who aren't loved by their teammates bring to the table despite their vast talent.  Examples include Jeff George, Rob Johnson, Jay Cutler, David Klingler.

HEIGHT ARGUEMENT IS GARBAGE

See Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Tyrod Taylor.  Mayfield isn't some 6 foot QB with ordinary talent.  He is 6'1 with Extraordinary talent.

WIN AT ALL COST ATTITUDE

I get it.  Mayfield can come across as overconfident at times, and that can rub the opponent the wrong way.  With a coach like McD, he will be able to tame that overconfidence and channel it in the right direction. And if he is on your team, why wouldn't you want a guy with that swagger repping your city, who believes if your down by 21 with 2 minutes to play you still have a shot to win.  If social media was as prevalent as it is now when Jim Kelly played, he probably would have turned off many Bills fans with his statements about how he didn't want to play in Buffalo, and his constant poking fun of the city.   But when we signed him his over confidence as a Buffalo Bill was never a problem, especially for a team who spent the 3 years before his arrival at the bottom of the league.

All Mayfield cares about is winning.  He'll be the first guy in the facility and last guy out.  The chip on his shoulder is as big as Niagara Falls.  You can't teach that in a player.  He cares deeply about his teammates, and I can promise you he will care deeply about this city and it's fans.  Having someone with that type of swag leading your team for 10 plus years will easily be loved by all the fans.   

It's one thing to put up gaudy stats vs. inferior competition.  But when a QB completes 70% of his passes and a 200 QB rating vs. elite college competition year, after year, that has to say something.  Sure, it's a team game and you have to gauge offense and defense alike.  But numbers don't lie, and what he did last year vs. 5 of the top 11 ranked teams in the country when they played speaks for itself.

For Buffalo right now it has to be Darnold or Mayfield.  May explain why they aren't moving up to 1 or 2 with all the talk of Allen and Darnold.  Could Mayfield be there guy at 4 or 5?

Sure some outlets are saying Allen is on the tip of the Bills brass tongue.  But until draft night, no one knows.

And regardless if we pick him or not, Mayfield will be one of the best of this class.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I have Mayfield as my number 2 after Rosen. For whatever reason I don’t feel the Bills agree. 

I hope I’m wrong. 

You might be. Nobody Owns the middle of the field like Baker. 2 time walk on, intangibles, chip on his shoulder,accuaracy, anticipation.....

Me thinks this is the DNA sought by McBeane, and the real target. And after the smoke clears on draft day, a slight trade up to secure that pick is very possible. 

Size matters, I know. But so does winning, experience, and confidence. The boxes check. And due to his size, he's the most likely to fall to 12. I'd be ok with this if he could sit a year

17 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Mayfield is the best prospect coming out of this years draft for a number of reasons.

PRODUCTION

His college production stands out against any of the other prospects, and it's not even close.  

Mayfield-  3 Years.    70% Comp. %.   12,300 Pass Yds (4100 Avg).  119 TD's.  21 INTs, 895 Rush Yds. 19 Rush TDs. 189.4 QB Rating

Darnold-  2 Years.  65% Comp %,  7,229 Pass Yds. 57 TD's (3600 Avg).  22 INTs, 332 Rush Yds, 7 Rush TD's.  153.7 QB Rating

Rosen-    3 Years.   61% Comp %.  9,340 Pass Yds (3100 Avg) .  59 TD's.  26 INTs, -154 Rush Yds, 6 Rush TD's  140.7 QB Rating

Allen-   3 Years (2 as Starter)  56.2% Comp %, 5066 Pass Yds, (2500 Avg 2 yrs as starter) 44 TD's, 21 INTs, 767 Rush Yards, 12 Rush TDs.   137.7 QB Rating

COMPETITION

Not only did he have the most production, but he did it against the toughest competition on some of the biggest stages.  Below are the stats of each QB vs. the ranking of the team when they played them.

Mayfield:  2017 Played vs #2, 3, 8, 10,11 ranked.  5 games:  4-1 Record.  68.5  Comp % for 1847 Yards, 17 TD's / 3 INT's w/ QB Rating 200

Darnold:  2017 Played vs #5, 13, 14, 16, 20, 23.  6 Games:  3-3 Record:  66.8 Comp % for 1702 Yards, 10 TD's / 6 INTs w/ QB Rating 165

Rosen:  2017 Played vs #12, 15 Ranked.  2 Games:  0-2 Record  60.2 Comp % for 514 Yards, 4 TD / 1 INTs w/ QB Rating 127

Allen:  2017 Played 0 Ranked Teams

RANKING

Mayfield:  3 Years Oklahoma finished 3, 5, 5 ranked in the country

Darnold:  2 Years at USC Finished 11, 12 in the country

Rosen:  3 Years at UCLA Finished 78, 91, 42 in the country

Allen:  2 Years at Wyoming Finished 37, 55th in the country

TEAMMATES LOVE HIM

It's been reported through various outlets that his teammates love him and will run through a wall for him.  Sal C also gave some interesting tidbits at the Senior Bowl, about how he was shaking everyone's hand and getting jacked up with every positive play his team was making IN PRACTICE.  We all know what players who aren't loved by their teammates bring to the table despite their vast talent.  Examples include Jeff George, Rob Johnson, Jay Cutler, David Klingler.

HEIGHT ARGUEMENT IS GARBAGE

See Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Tyrod Taylor.  Mayfield isn't some 6 foot QB with ordinary talent.  He is 6'1 with Extraordinary talent.

WIN AT ALL COST ATTITUDE

I get it.  Mayfield can come across as overconfident at times, and that can rub the opponent the wrong way.  With a coach like McD, he will be able to tame that overconfidence and channel it in the right direction. And if he is on your team, why wouldn't you want a guy with that swagger repping your city, who believes if your down by 21 with 2 minutes to play you still have a shot to win.  If social media was as prevalent as it is now when Jim Kelly played, he probably would have turned off many Bills fans with his statements about how he didn't want to play in Buffalo, and his constant poking fun of the city.   But when we signed him his over confidence as a Buffalo Bill was never a problem, especially for a team who spent the 3 years before his arrival at the bottom of the league.

All Mayfield cares about is winning.  He'll be the first guy in the facility and last guy out.  The chip on his shoulder is as big as Niagara Falls.  You can't teach that in a player.  He cares deeply about his teammates, and I can promise you he will care deeply about this city and it's fans.  Having someone with that type of swag leading your team for 10 plus years will easily be loved by all the fans.   

It's one thing to put up gaudy stats vs. inferior competition.  But when a QB completes 70% of his passes and a 200 QB rating vs. elite college competition year, after year, that has to say something.  Sure, it's a team game and you have to gauge offense and defense alike.  But numbers don't lie, and what he did last year vs. 5 of the top 11 ranked teams in the country when they played speaks for itself.

For Buffalo right now it has to be Darnold or Mayfield.  May explain why they aren't moving up to 1 or 2 with all the talk of Allen and Darnold.  Could Mayfield be there guy at 4 or 5?

Sure some outlets are saying Allen is on the tip of the Bills brass tongue.  But until draft night, no one knows.

And regardless if we pick him or not, Mayfield will be one of the best of this class.

Good post

This would be the best case scenario as I see it right now.

1.)  Browns - Darnold

2.)  Giants - Barkley

3.)  Jets - Allen

4.)  We trade #12, #22, a 2nd, a 3rd, and next years 1st to trade up for Rosen or Mayfield (I think both will be franchise QB's although I prefer the most pro ready in Rosen)

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This would be the best case scenario as I see it right now.

1.)  Browns - Darnold

2.)  Giants - Barkley

3.)  Jets - Allen

4.)  We trade #12, #22, a 2nd, a 3rd, and next years 1st to trade up for Rosen or Mayfield (I think both will be franchise QB's although I prefer the most pro ready in Rosen)

Just the 12th (1,200) and 22nd (780) should be enough to move up to 4th (1,800).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

Just the 12th (1,200) and 22nd (780) should be enough to move up to 4th (1,800).

They have all the leverage.  Forget the chart.  The Jets overpaid and we're going to have to follow suit if Beane goes that direction.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc Brown said:

They have all the leverage.  Forget the chart.  The Jets overpaid and we're going to have to follow suit if Beane goes that direction.

That's overpaying by 180 points.

• Haha (+1) 1