23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

All but the big arm and accuracy....:lol:

McCarron’s career accuracy 66.9%

Mayfield 2017   70.5%

Rosen 2017       62.6%

Darnold 2017    63.1%

Allen 2017         56.1%

Jackson 2017   59.1%

Doesn’t look like McCarron’s accuracy is an issue.  As for arm strength, other than Allen whose arm strength is in a league of its own, McCarron’s is similar to all the others.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

No Jackson? LOL

I can see Allen, but accuracy....man

I haven't looked at the tier 2 guys to see where White, Falk, Lalalueta, fit in...

So basically says he wants a guy who is tall, has arm strength (because it can't be improved much), has some experience under center, goes through progressions, doesn't want a running quarterback because they take a beating (unless they are  special athlete ala Jackson). 

If you take his words as his gospel, you eliminate: Mayfield-height, spread, Jackson-accuracy in pocket, Allen - accuracy, Rudolph - arm strength, spread. 

It's really just Darnold and Rosen. 

In the next tier the closest thing is probably Mike White. Falk, Laluetta have arm strength issues and things of that nature.  White played under center, read full field progressions and has a big arm. 

• Like (+1) 2

They have definitely talked about a pocket passer multiple times. 

We really dont don't have much to go on yet though, since Beane hasn't had a single draft with the Bills.

All we really know is this -

- Beane supposedly went after Bradford, who is a pure pocket passer. 

- He went after McCarron, who isn't exactly mobile. He's known more as a pocket passer with accuracy and ball security. 

- He traded Tyrod

- McDermott drafted Peterman last year who is not mobile. His strengths are said to be accuracy, getting the ball out quick, throwing with anticipation, going through progressions and reading defenses. Also supposedly being pro ready. 

So my best guess is they want more of an accurate pocket passer. But I really have no clue.  Carolina did draft Newton, and both McDermott and Beane have been around mobile QBs a lot in their careers, so I could see it going either way. 

I said after the Peterman pick that I didn't have any idea if Peterman would turn out to be an NFL QB or not, but if those are the traits (accurate, throw with anticipation, read defenses, go through progressions etc) that they prioritize in a QB then I like their chances of eventually finding our franchise guy a lot more than I did under Whaley (when looking at what he seemed to prioritize in a QB). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mayfield 2017   70.5%

Rosen 2017       62.6%

Darnold 2017    63.1%

Allen 2017         56.1%

Jackson 2017   59.1%

Doesn’t look like McCarron’s accuracy is an issue.  As for arm strength, other than Allen whose arm strength is in a league of its own, McCarron’s is similar to all the others.

Don't give me Alabama stats.    Here's his NFL career:

Regular Season

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       11 3 2-1-0 86 133 64.7 920 6 4.5 2 1.5 66 6.9 7.1 10.7 83.6 93.6   13 72 5.81 6.01 8.9 0 0 3
2014 24 CIN   5 0     0 0   0 0   0   0             0 0       0 0  
2015 25 CIN qb 5 7 3 2-1-0 79 119 66.4 854 6 5.0 2 1.7 66 7.2 7.4 10.8 122.0 97.1   12 63 6.04 6.27 9.2     3
2016 26 CIN   5 1 0   0 0   0 0   0   0       0.0     0 0           0
2017 27 CIN   5 3 0   7 14 50.0 66 0 0.0 0 0.0 27 4.7 4.7 9.4 22.0 63.4   1 9 3.80 3.80 6.7     0

Playoffs Passing

Year Age Tm Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
Career     1 1 0-1 23 41 56.1 212 1 2.4 1 2.4 25 5.2 4.6 9.2 212.0 68.3 3 24 4.27 3.70 6.8  
2015 25 CIN QB 1 1 0-1 23 41 56.1 212 1 2.4 1 2.4 25 5.2 4.6 9.2 212.0 68.3 3 24 4.27 3.70 6.8    
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rodneykm said:

This makes me think Lamar Jackson is the guy.

Don't think his body is built to take a beating.

25 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Bingo

Young kid with upside ... 4 years experience ... value pick ... has as much a chance to succeed as any of them.

I have him as my number 3 behind Mayfield and Allen.

I think the QB they wanted the entire time is Sam Darnold.  When it became clear that Cleveland was taking him #1, they set their sights on Josh Rosen and possible Josh Allen. Now it's looking like both will be gone, unless they can swing a desperate trade 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, H2o said:

If you go by these statements then Jackson is not high on the list. 

Neither is Baker.  

"You want a guy, the stature, the height, you know, they're standing over, they're not worried about linemen in their face. It gives them the vision and all that."

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I have never hoped your take has been more wrong...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all aboard the do whatever it takes to get Rosen at 2 train, but I think the Giants would be foolish to pass on him the more I think about it. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mayfield 2017   70.5%

Rosen 2017       62.6%

Darnold 2017    63.1%

Allen 2017         56.1%

Jackson 2017   59.1%

Yeah but he's thrown like 11 passes as a pro. We have no idea if he's even as productive as TT. It feels like we're in other team's back up QB Hell again.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Neither is Baker.  

"You want a guy, the stature, the height, you know, they're standing over, they're not worried about linemen in their face. It gives them the vision and all that."

:cry: I know. It seems that way from these comments. I can still hope that they see him as a Drew Brees type and pull the trigger if he's there. 

5 hours ago, yungmack said:

Thanks for putting this together. Makes me think Beane is not considering Jackson, Allen and probably not Mayfield as worth a big trade. That leaves Darnold and Rosen and at the moment, they look out of reach.

I don't think it will be Rosen. He isn't the right background.

The Beanes are a very traditional family. Down south where Brandon is from, the mountains and hills are full of Beanes.

And one thing everybody knows about the Beanes is they will not enter into a trust agreement of great importance, such as staking your career on a young quarterback, with anyone outside the family.

So whoever Bradon Beane picks for QB will have to also agree to be betrothed to a Beane Bride.  I can't see Rosen going for that.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Yeah but he's thrown like 11 passes as a pro. We have no idea if he's even as productive as TT. It feels like we're in other team's back up QB Hell again.

Hey G.L.

66.9 was McCarron's college accuracy percentage.  It thought that was a more fair comparison. 

I agree with you that we are not in optimal position right now rolling with McCarron.  I just believe that at this point in time, with the way the draft is developing, that going with McCarron and filing in the many holes in our roster this year with our draft capital is the best way forward.

I wanted the Bills to trade up and grab one of the QBs in this year's draft too, but I think that with the Jet's move, the cost is going to be way too high for us to do that.  I am seeing people on this forum saying that they should trade both of this year's 1st rounders plus next year's 1st and some 2nd and 3 rounders to get the Giant's pick this year.  I think that is crazy.

If we were one QB away as an organization from being a Super Bowl contender I would back the Brinks Truck up myself.  The honest truth is that we are not a QB away from being a Super Bowl team, and I'd argue we're more than a QB away from even being relevant in the league.  This team has a lot of holes on its roster.  Lets fill these holes this year and then next year if we are just a QB away,  then we can back up the Brink's Truck to grab the best QB prospect in the draft.  Next year there will be a new crop of "can't miss, elite QB prospects" to jockey for.  We can mortgage the future for one of them if we need to then.

Who know's, maybe McCarron will be a pleasant surprise.  If not, we will have a solid supporting cast for whichever QB we go after and give them a fair shot at success.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey G.L.

66.9 was McCarron's college accuracy percentage.  It thought that was a more fair comparison. 

I agree with you that we are not in optimal position right now rolling with McCarron.  I just believe that at this point in time, with the way the draft is developing, that going with McCarron and filing in the many holes in our roster this year with our draft capital is the best way forward.

I wanted the Bills to trade up and grab one of the QBs in this year's draft too, but I think that with the Jet's move, the cost is going to be way too high for us to do that.  I am seeing people on this forum saying that they should trade both of this year's 1st rounders plus next year's 1st and some 2nd and 3 rounders to get the Giant's pick this year.  I think that is crazy.

If we were one QB away as an organization from being a Super Bowl contender I would back the Brinks Truck up myself.  The honest truth is that we are not a QB away from being a Super Bowl team, and I'd argue we're more than a QB away from even being relevant in the league.  This team has a lot of holes on its roster.  Lets fill these holes this year and then next year if we are just a QB away,  then we can back up the Brink's Truck to grab the best QB prospect in the draft.  Next year there will be a new crop of "can't miss, elite QB prospects" to jockey for.  We can mortgage the future for one of them if we need to then.

Who know's, maybe McCarron will be a pleasant surprise.  If not, we will have a solid supporting cast for whichever QB we go after and give them a fair shot at success.

IM, I do understand the argument, but there's no quarterback in sight. Next year's crop looks bleak. So I'm looking at at least two seasons of backup quarterback Hell or hoping beyond all hope that McCarron has more ceiling that nobody else has seen. It's just not a good place to be. So I think Beane has got to come out of this draft with some pick to groom and hope it turns out like Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson