Call your shot

Trade up to 4 by giving up 12, 22, a 3rd, and next year's first.  It's just reality that's the price.  And I would do it only if I knew the Giants take this:

Swapping 2 for 4 and all 3 thirds.

Because if the Giants are taking a QB and won't trade out, I'm not trading to 4.  

#12 / #22 / #53 / #56 / 2019 2nd rounder

If you value the 2019 2nd at 300 points (basically the lowest value of round 2) that's 2,990 points for a pick that's "worth" 2,600 points

We still walk out with 2 day 2 picks at #65 / #97 and we still have next years 1st if the wheels fall off and it's a top 10 pick.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not trading next year’s 1. For me 12, 22, 2 of the picks between 53-65 and a 4th next year is my best offer.

i was all for trading up to get our qb, however now i am not so sure. the cost is quite probably prohibative at this point. with that being said, all i know is the approach we have been taking for the last 18 years and most of our history for that matter has gotten us essentially nothing so !@#$ it, go for it and acquire whomever OBD thinks is the one.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

#12 / #22 / #53 / #56 / 2019 2nd rounder

If you value the 2019 2nd at 300 points (basically the lowest value of round 2) that's 2,990 points for a pick that's "worth" 2,600 points

We still walk out with 2 day 2 picks at #65 / #97 and we still have next years 1st if the wheels fall off and it's a top 10 pick.

oh i like this!

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Foxx said:

i was all for trading up to get our qb, however now i am not so sure. the cost is quite probably prohibative at this point. with that being said, all i know is the approach we have been taking for the last 18 years and most of our history for that matter has gotten us essentially nothing so !@#$ it, go for it and acquire whomever OBD thinks is the one.

I think that it will be crazy expensive. I could see them sticking at 12 and looking at Lamar or Allen. If they are going up it is probably 4 of their first 5 picks. I really hope that they keep their 2019 1st. It could be a top 10 pick and they have a big need for pass rush. 2019 draft will be ridiculous on the DL.

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Do you remember when Mike Ditka sold the entire Saints draft just to get Ricky Williams? That didn't work out so well and that's just one example.How did the Sammy trade work out...you can't keep trading away first round picks as if they are sausage links...teams that do that pay dearly down the road.Where is the Browns saviour Johnny football these days..the CFL?

Apples to oranges to pears

I would not trade anything in next year's draft. 

I would wait to see how the draft played out. See who falls where and jump up only if there is a player I feel like is worth the extra picks. Find the best value. 

That's where the Jets failed. They gave up the equivalent of the number 1 and number 10 pick to move 3 spots if what I read was correct. No player will live up to that hype. Its like the Mario Williams contact. They have set whoever they draft up to fail.

12 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I would not trade anything in next year's draft. 

I would wait to see how the draft played out. See who falls where and jump up only if there is a player I feel like is worth the extra picks. Find the best value. 

That's where the Jets failed. They gave up the equivalent of the number 1 and number 10 pick to move 3 spots if what I read was correct. No player will live up to that hype. Its like the Mario Williams contact. They have set whoever they draft up to fail.

They gave up the rough equivalent of just #1 to move up to #3 and guarantee a QB they like, not #1 and #10.  It was an expensive move, but they've locked in at least the 3rd best QB.

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it will be crazy expensive. I could see them sticking at 12 and looking at Lamar or Allen. If they are going up it is probably 4 of their first 5 picks. I really hope that they keep their 2019 1st. It could be a top 10 pick and they have a big need for pass rush. 2019 draft will be ridiculous on the DL.

i agree, it will most likely be expensive. i trust Beane to do what it appears he does best, making the best deal possible. perhaps a balance of some capital this year and next's (though any capital from next year would cost more today).

i was going to start a new thread with this thought but , meh it's not that good of a thought. anyhoo... the draft almost always never goes as one can think it will go. what if... the Browns take Barkley, the Giants take Chubb at #2 leaving the Jets with the pick of the qb lot @ 3? do the Browns then take a qb @ 4, what about the Broncos @ 5? would that leave the Colts ripe for a trade with say Arizona or us? no matter how i envision it, there is a run on the top 4 before we get to our pick. it certainly would cost a lot less to  trade into the 6th slot than say the 2nd. it all depends on how the draft unfolds. for this reason I don't envision a trade up until draft day, if at all.

Edited by Foxx

This is where I wish I knew what the Bills know at this point.  My guess is they have a pretty good understanding of who the Browns are taking at 1 and I would not be shocked at all if they had a good feeling about who the Jets want at 3.

The Bills might even have a guess is to how serious Denver is about taking a QB at 5.  All of that information is very important when it comes to deciding how much I would be willing to give up. 

If I know that Darnold is going to Cleveland and the Jets are taking Rosen, I am more apt to want to trade up.  But if the Bills think it is Darnold and Allen in spots 1 & 3, and they think the Broncos are not going QB at 5, then I am willing to take the chance and only trade up to 7 and saving a lot of assets in the process. 

I guess I just think that the Bills brass know more about how the top picks are shaping up than we do on the outside and that means they know more about where they need to get to to get their guy.  I have been saying all along I want 1 of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.  If the Bills honestly believe there is a chance to get one of them, maybe even 2 of them depending on how it plays out with Allen, after pick 5......then I say roll the dice and see if you can get one of those 3 guys at 7.  Trade up to make sure you get the guy you want and don't allow the Dolphins or Cards to beat you up the board, though.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don't see Jackson (not you :) ) fitting Beane's QB profile. I agree with holding on to on next years#1 since I think it will be between 6-10. This just seems like the year they have to pay the piper if they like Rosen/Allen enough. I also can't help but think after yesterday's trade, there has to be another reason aside from picks, why he didn't push the offer more.

3 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

In any negotiation you have anchors where you will not go past.  What is your anchor point for #2?

I would give up as much as #12, #22, #65, and next year's first round pick.  That is as far as I would go.  Any deal that includes three first round picks can not include any of this year's second round picks.

My initial offer would be #12,#22, #53, and next year's round two.

If initial offer is rejected I would counter with the three first rounders, leaving my final anchor point as a last ditch attempt to get to #2.

I hate trading up but if they really love one of the top 3 then this is the year to do it.

I am not willing to give up 12, 22 and next year’s 1st for any of the QBs in this draft.  In my (uninformed) opinion, none of them are sure -thing can’t miss prospects.  

It it is one thing.to draft Andy Dalton or Derek Carr in round 2, but trading up to (reach) to get Allen or Mayfield is a struggle for me.  Not that I think either are bad prospects, but giving up a lot to get either is very risky.

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am not willing to give up 12, 22 and next year’s 1st for any of the QBs in this draft.  In my (uninformed) opinion, none of them are sure -thing can’t miss prospects.  

It it is one thing.to draft Andy Dalton or Derek Carr in round 2, but trading up to (reach) to get Allen or Mayfield is a struggle for me.  Not that I think either are bad prospects, but giving up a lot to get either is very risky.

I think that the “top four” QBs have been talked about so much (24 hr TV, radio, social media) over the last six months that it might trick the mind into thinking that they have to be good. Why else would they be talked about so much if they weren’t heading for greatness, right?

Jackson, Rudolph, Lauletta and White are then seen as non-options because they just haven’t been talked about nearly as much. IMO chances are pretty good that there will be just as many pro bowl QB from the “bottom four” as there will be in the supposed “top four”.

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't see Jackson (not you :) ) fitting Beane's QB profile. I agree with holding on to on next years#1 since I think it will be between 6-10. This just seems like the year they have to pay the piper if they like Rosen/Allen enough. I also can't help but think after yesterday's trade, there has to be another reason aside from picks, why he didn't push the offer more.

I was convinced that they were going up. This Jets trade set a high price and took a potential partner off the table. I still think that the Bills try to go up but am not convinced any longer. If they stay at 12 you are looking at Jackson and maybe Allen. I think Darnold goes 1, Rosen 3. I’m not sure where Baker goes but his floor is Miami at 11 IMO. Allen is a bit of a wildcard and I think Jackson goes top 20. Everyone else is round 2 and later. I don’t think that the Bills wait until round 2. 

8 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I think that the “top four” QBs have been talked about so much (24 hr TV, radio, social media) over the last six months that it might trick the mind into thinking that they have to be good. Why else would they be talked about so much if they weren’t heading for greatness, right?

Jackson, Rudolph, Lauletta and White are then seen as non-options because they just haven’t been talked about nearly as much. IMO chances are pretty good that there will be just as many pro bowl QB from the “bottom four” as there will be in the supposed “top four”.

9 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

+1

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I think that the “top three” QBs have been talked about so much (24 hr TV, radio, social media) over the last six months that it might trick the mind into thinking that they have to be good. Why else would they be talked about so much if they weren’t heading for greatness, right?

Losman, Schaub, (Luke) McCown are then seen as non-options because they just haven’t been talked about nearly as much. IMO chances are pretty good that there will be just as many pro bowl QB from the “bottom three” as there will be in the supposed “top three”.

You're making this lobby in 2004. People were questioning Rothlisberger being from Miami(Oh), folks were questioning Rivers's throwing motion... Losman was going to be just as good, he could sling it, he had confidence. Schaub and McCown both decent, went no where.

Need the top tier guys, or its same old Bills.

We ended up with the #13 and #22 picks that year. Went talent up front, and settled on 2nd tier guy. We've done this before. Need to get up and get the real QBs.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Like when we drafted Dareus 4th overall? 

Very good player for a few years here but it meant nothing because our QB play and offense in general was bad. 

They should've held onto Tyrod assuming they don't do what it takes to move up and grab a guy.

2019 will be one of the great drafts ever for the front 4. The Bills shouldn’t skip the chance to get a double digit sack guy. Use the picks this year to move up, not the 2019 1st.