Cover 1:. 5 Reasons Lamar Jackson is the Bills Target

PIZ

25 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

LOl everything has been smoke so maybe ....

On a serious note though I think the drafting of Peterman last year was a sign they prefer a pocket guy.  Who knows?  We'll see in a matter of 6 weeks.

In may last year when he was hired, Beane spoke about this. So what boxes does Jackson check?

So what does Beane look for in a quarterback?

"Obviously, you draw them up, from a physical standpoint, they look like Cam (Newton)," Beane said. "But how many are there like that? You want a guy, the stature, the height, you know, they're standing over, they're not worried about linemen in their face. It gives them the vision and all that. Arm strength. But the one thing that people I think miss a little bit when they're watching, you know, the college game schematically has just been so dummied down that these guys know before the ball's snapped right where they're going. There's no progressions. There's no audibiling. That's the challenge that the college guys have, and it's brutal. And these quarterbacks that are getting drafted high that have never taken a snap from center, have never called an audible. That's tough. The intangibles are the other thing that you can't necessarily measure from the film. I can turn on the film and watch some things. You obviously want to see quarterbacks live, but what's this guy's makeup? What's his leadership? Do guys rally behind him? 

Brandon Beane: Yeah, I mean, calculated risk... whatever you want to call it. There are some times when they are going to have to thread the needle. It's third and long, and it's late in the game, and we've got to get this play, and they're going to put a spy on the quarterback or something like that... he's got to stand in there, trust his reads, trust his progressions... and sling it and make the throw. You have to do that. In college, you see a lot of running quarterbacks that can just make a play with their own. Everything breaks down and it becomes sandlot football, and you do see some plays in the NFL, but the speed is so different here. It takes a special player to do it, and to do it often... and again, the pounding that you take. We saw that in Carolina last year. Cam took more hits last year than he had in the previous years, so, it's a tough league. And again, I'll go back to it: You have to be able to throw from the pocket.

I hope we don't trade up and just take the best player available with every one of our picks and roll with McCarron and see what the kid has.   I think we have a lot of holes to fill on this team and I'm not sure I see the sense in spending all of our draft capital on an "elite" QB prospect and then putting him behind a suspect O-line with a second rate receiving corps.  That doesn't look like a recipe for success.  We need to be picking up some linebackers in this draft too and that will be hard to do if we ship out all of our picks.  

Give McCarron an honest shot, draft some great LBs and WRs, pick up a beast of an offensive linemen, and see what happens.  There is no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning in this draft that is worth mortgaging your entire franchise for.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
typo

2 minutes ago, BILLriant said:

Even if he isn't a run first he's a run often

That's generally what you do when your receivers suck and you have the ability to do so...

14 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Truthfully, TT and Jackson have only 2 football traits in common; their position and their ability to run. Not trying to start any type of discussion around race, but if either TT or Jackson were white, I don't think we'd be comparing them against each other nearly as much. 

Jackson isn't  an upscale TT to me. The similarities end at "wow this QB can really run well." He has much more natural ability as a QB. Stronger arm, better processing, etc. He did run at Louisville quite a bit, but that may have come down to the other 10 guys on the field with him more than anything else. When he did hang tight in the pocket, he showed he can make all the big time throws. 

He struggled a bit with accuracy at Louisville, which is always a concern, but none of these QBs are perfect. To me, his surrounding cast at Louisville was putrid--no one has been drafted off that offense since he became the starter--and he made the most of it. I think with time and proper coaching, he could be just as good as the others. 

...MOST certainly appreciate your time and assessment bud...much appreciated....:thumbsup:...race never entered into my mind.....so at the end of the day and you being McBeane, is he on your radar somewhere?......if so, where would you pull the trigger with existing picks or do you move with him as your target and perhaps avaolable later?............

1 minute ago, BILLriant said:

Yes, because LJ was the entire Louisville offense.  Coaches ran a good number of designed run plays where he average seven yards a carry.  (Yes, seven yards, which included 18 TDs)

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...MOST certainly appreciate your time and assessment bud...much appreciated....:thumbsup:...race never entered into my mind.....so at the end of the day and you being McBeane, is he on your radar somewhere?......if so, where would you pull the trigger with existing picks or do you move with him as your target and perhaps avaolable later?............

I didn't think that was the case at all. It's just a comparison many of us make quickly and subconsciously. You see a run first QB and you go "oh yeah, Mike Vick, Tyrod Taylor, Lamar Jackson" or whatever. I read something back in the fall or early winter, I want to say about the Houston Rockets, where the GM has basically acknowledged this happens and challenged the evaluating staff to take the traits of the player and compare them to someone different. Ex) if you were evaluating Danny Amendola, don't tell me he is Wes Welker, tell me he is Jamison Crowder. Just something to really challenge the minds of the player personnel evaluators.

If I was the Bills, I hope he falls to #12 and would be happy to take him there. Before the Cordy Glenn trade happened I had already kind of fallen into a mindset where I would rather trade up to the mid-teens for Jackson than all the way up the board and give up a ton.

10 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

See, I'm in the overdraft category, target which one you like, if he is a 2nd round prospect, take him at 22. We got to walk away with our guy.

That's just it, I don't believe and hope to God that neither of these two are "our guy". I don't want either, but would take Jackson over Rudolph if someone had a gun to my head. The Jackson debate has gone on in about 150 different threads between TSW and the College Football forum. I am on record against Jackson everywhere to the extent that I said if he is still a QB by the end of his rookie contract then I'll have the crow population on the endangered species list. Neither of these guys are taking us to the next level. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JM57 said:

I didn't think that was the case at all. It's just a comparison many of us make quickly and subconsciously. You see a run first QB and you go "oh yeah, Mike Vick, Tyrod Taylor, Lamar Jackson" or whatever. I read something back in the fall or early winter, I want to say about the Houston Rockets, where the GM has basically acknowledged this happens and challenged the evaluating staff to take the traits of the player and compare them to someone different. Ex) if you were evaluating Danny Amendola, don't tell me he is Wes Welker, tell me he is Jamison Crowder. Just something to really challenge the minds of the player personnel evaluators.

If I was the Bills, I hope he falls to #12 and would be happy to take him there. Before the Cordy Glenn trade happened I had already kind of fallen into a mindset where I would rather trade up to the mid-teens for Jackson than all the way up the board and give up a ton.

...it certainly is an interesting progression over time my friend as I enter year 56 (damn I'm fuggin' OLD) following the Bills/NFL....harken back to the days Ralph was called a racist, yet he pioneered James Harris and Marlin The Magician Briscoe as QB's.....then we had the Tom Brookshire era about black QB's and their intelligence....Doug Williams and Warren Moon come to mind as those who squashed that........throw in the obvious inference from track and field folks that black athletes are far superior which certainly permeated black QB athleticism thinking....me?...could give a rat's azz.....gimme an Italian stallion with wheels and I'll make 'em sauce on Sundays (HINT: I ain;t Irish)...funny how we can joke about fast white guys like Amendola or Beebe,with no harm no foul....other side of the fence brands you a RACIST...I'm leaving the trusted decision in the WELL QUALIFIED hands of McBeane/McD/McDaboll, whether black, white, Polish, Italian or Irish...may balk at Russian thou....just get me the guy to lead us for the next 10+ years...I ain't picky........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

Truthfully, TT and Jackson have only 2 football traits in common; their position and their ability to run. Not trying to start any type of discussion around race, but if either TT or Jackson were white, I don't think we'd be comparing them against each other nearly as much. 

Jackson isn't  an upscale TT to me. The similarities end at "wow this QB can really run well." He has much more natural ability as a QB. Stronger arm, better processing, etc. He did run at Louisville quite a bit, but that may have come down to the other 10 guys on the field with him more than anything else. When he did hang tight in the pocket, he showed he can make all the big time throws. 

He struggled a bit with accuracy at Louisville, which is always a concern, but none of these QBs are perfect. To me, his surrounding cast at Louisville was putrid--no one has been drafted off that offense since he became the starter--and he made the most of it. I think with time and proper coaching, he could be just as good as the others. 

This was/is a fantastic post JM57

Overall TD's

Mayfield 153 (48 starts) 3.2 TD's per game

Jackson 119 (38 starts) 3.1 TD's per game

Rudolph 95 (42 starts) 2.3 TD's per game

Rosen 65 (30 starts) 2.2 TD's per game

Darnold 64 (27 starts) 2.4 TD's per game

Allen 57 (25 starts) 2.3 TD's per game

For Fun:

Overall TD's

T.Taylor 67 (50 starts) 1.3 TD's per game  (Look familiar to the pro level? He had 1.2 TD's per game last year with us)

The TT to Lamar Jackson comparisons are so friggin dumb on these boards and lazy. Imagine having a QB last year that averaged 3TD's (running or throwing on our team). Think about it TBD'ers.....

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

This was/is a fantastic post JM57

Overall TD's

Mayfield 153 (48 starts) 3.2 TD's per game

Jackson 119 (38 starts) 3.1 TD's per game

Rudolph 95 (42 starts) 2.3 TD's per game

Rosen 65 (30 starts) 2.2 TD's per game

Darnold 64 (27 starts) 2.4 TD's per game

Allen 57 (25 starts) 2.3 TD's per game

For Fun:

Overall TD's

T.Taylor 67 (50 starts) 1.3 TD's per game  (Look familiar to the pro level? He had 1.2 TD's per game last year with us)

The TT to Lamar Jackson comparisons are so friggin dumb on these boards and lazy. Imagine having a QB last year that averaged 3TD's (running or throwing on our team. Think about it TBD'ers.....

JM57 post is great and I think this one is good reinforcement.  Bottomline: the Taylor comparisons are lazy and flat out wrong.  Jackson may not have the high floor like Rosen (or maybe Darnold) but I don't think anyone could exceed his potential ceiling.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

JM57 post is great and I think this one is good reinforcement.  Bottomline: the Taylor comparisons are lazy and flat out wrong.  Jackson may not have the high floor like Rosen (or maybe Darnold) but I don't think anyone could exceed his potential ceiling.  

I don't think Rosen has a high floor.  A lot of questions with Rosen starting with his ability to avoid the pass rush and concussions and ending with his love for the game and ability to lead an NFL huddle.  

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Research and reading will illustrate why I don't agree with anything in your post. 

I watched him in college last year and at the combine. He is erratic in his throws with one great pass and the next a duck. In the NFL those ducks will be intercepted. There is a real reason most scouts, draft analysts have the guy as the fifth best QB in this year's draft and some have him as a second-round pick. 

For a running QB, his move accuracy is highly inaccurate and he turns the ball over too much.  Whichever team selects him will need to build an offense around him with a lot of run/pass options. He also has a small frame and could end up as another RG3 with injuries. He ran a spread offense mostly out of the shotgun and wasn't asked to make more than one or two reads and if those aren't open then he runs.

Bottom line is Jackson is going to need a bunch of developmental time transitioning to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BILLriant said:

No more run first quarterbacks, even if he is in Vicks talent level, sure he was fun to watch and a freak, but how often was he banged up and didn't he even break his leg. We need a guy who stays in the pocket the majority of the time, stat healthy  and be around for 10+ years

Good thing Jackson isn't a run first QB then.....

4 hours ago, PIZ said:

Interesting they used the word "target".

If he is their target I hope they are more accurate than he is.

I don't want another quarterback who can't throw. I can't take it anymore. If the knock on a QB is that he can't throw very well,  he isn't a quarterback. He is something else.

I will be giddy about Jackson when he proves he can throw accurately.

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Why is Jackson the target?

Snarkily I thought...’cause he is the only one they can get.’

stinker!

No... you have...

• Mason Rudolph, Riley Ferguson, Luke Falk, Kyle Lauletta, & Mike White 

But I'll rather have Jackson because of his legit production... just like i said about Watson... there's just some things you can't teach... talent & winning is just A1 on the Ribeye

No more run first quarterbacks, even if he is in Vicks talent level, sure he was fun to watch and a freak, but how often was he banged up and didn't he even break his leg. We need a guy who stays in the pocket the majority of the time, stat healthy  and be around for 10+ years

Jackson is not a RUN FIRST QB... you must haven't watch him play... cause NOBODY that literally watched him play has said that. Even Howard Simon on WGR, who admittedly watch only 2-3 games of Jackson came away saying "He's far from a run first QB".... 

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I watched him in college last year and at the combine. He is erratic in his throws with one great pass and the next a duck. In the NFL those ducks will be intercepted. There is a real reason most scouts, draft analysts have the guy as the fifth best QB in this year's draft and some have him as a second-round pick. 

For a running QB, his move accuracy is highly inaccurate and he turns the ball over too much.  Whichever team selects him will need to build an offense around him with a lot of run/pass options. He also has a small frame and could end up as another RG3 with injuries. He ran a spread offense mostly out of the shotgun and wasn't asked to make more than one or two reads and if those aren't open then he runs.

Bottom line is Jackson is going to need a bunch of developmental time transitioning to the NFL.

So will Darnold.. people claim he need 1-2 years... yet he might go 1sr overall. But talent evaluators say "Jackson with the right team has the highest upside"

:wallbash:

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Yes, because LJ was the entire Louisville offense.  Coaches ran a good number of designed run plays where he average seven yards a carry.  (Yes, seven yards, which included 18 TDs)

This ⬆