I’m all for Mason Rudolph with the 12th pick...

7 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Well, do you think McD will be here in 2 years if we don't draft a QB? He has to hitch his wagon to somebody, what are his other options?

Rudolph is a 2nd round talent, without hesitation. He may never be elite, but he is a good prospect and he can develop into an above average starter. Would it be high to take him at 22? Yes. But who is to say he makes it 53? What do you do if he is gone and McCarron and Peterman are our only QBs and there are no decent options going into 2019? McDermott and Beane could be out of a job.

To me, Rudolph could possibly become what McCarron is right now in three or four years. If that is teh case, hitch it to McCarron. It just doesn't make sense to hitch your wagon to a guy with very little upside who isn't better than what you already have. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

To me, Rudolph could possibly become what McCarron is right now in three or four years. If that is teh case, hitch it to McCarron. It just doesn't make sense to hitch your wagon to a guy with very little upside who isn't better than what you already have. 

I do respect you very much as a poster, I'm a little higher on Josh Allen and Mason Rudolph than most. I don't really see eye to eye with many folks on those two actually, but I see Mason Rudolph has a bigger, faster and stronger version of Andy Dalton. You could be right, in an ideal world we take Rudolph in the 2nd, but that's not the way it works, QBs always get overdrafted. Better off taking him at 22 versus risking him being taken before us in the 2nd round. Rudolph is a 33-34 overall prospect at the latest. Who cares if we take him 10-15 spots earlier than he was projected to go?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I do respect you very much as a poster, I'm a little higher on Josh Allen and Mason Rudolph than most. I don't really see eye to eye with many folks on those two actually, but I see Mason Rudolph has a bigger, faster and stronger version of Andy Dalton. You could be right, in an ideal world we take Rudolph in the 2nd, but that's not the way it works, QBs always get overdrafted. Better off taking him at 22 versus risking him being taken before us in the 2nd round. Rudolph is a 33-34 overall prospect at the latest. Who cares if we take him 10-15 spots earlier than he was projected to go?

I appreciate that. Same here. I just don't like reaching for a guy like him. It really feels like the trade up for JP Losman. Instead of drafting Rudolph in the first, I'd take my chances he is there in the third, and if not I just draft in the next tier. 

This is the way I see it:

Tier 1 Darnold, Rosen, Allen,.........Mayfield 

Tier 2 is Jackson ..........Rudolph

Tier 3 everybody else. 

My point is that I think there is a pretty big drop off after the top three. Rudolph, in my estimation is way closer to tier three than he is to tier one. I just can't use the #22 pick on him. Do you realize how much positional talent is going to be on the board at that point? Drafting Rudolph there is an embarrassingly bad reach to me. I'm willing to sacrifice that pick in a trade up, not to pick a tier 2/3 quarterback. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I appreciate that. Same here. I just don't like reaching for a guy like him. It really feels like the trade up for JP Losman. Instead of drafting Rudolph in the first, I'd take my chances he is there in the third, and if not I just draft in the next tier. 

This is the way I see it:

Tier 1 Darnold, Rosen, Allen,.........Mayfield 

Tier 2 is Jackson ..........Rudolph

Tier 3 everybody else. 

My point is that I think there is a pretty big drop off after the top three. Rudolph, in my estimation is way closer to tier three than he is to tier one. I just can't use the #22 pick on him. Do you realize how much positional talent is going to be on the board at that point? Drafting Rudolph there is an embarrassingly bad reach to me. I'm willing to sacrifice that pick in a trade up, not to pick a tier 2/3 quarterback. 

The thought of Vita Vea and Rashaan Evans is very appealing, but QB trumps all.

I could see Jackson going to Arizona, I think that's a very strong possibility, but I think there is a chance Jackson and Rudolph slip to the very top of the 2nd round like 33-34 overall range. In an ideal world Allen falls to #6 and we move up for him and we never even have to have this conversation.

I'm okay with Allen, Rosen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Darnold, Jackson in the 1st round. Take a chance on somebody!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

The thought of Vita Vea and Rashaan Evans is very appealing, but QB trumps all.

I could see Jackson going to Arizona, I think that's a very strong possibility, but I think there is a chance Jackson and Rudolph slip to the very top of the 2nd round like 33-34 overall range. In an ideal world Allen falls to #6 and we move up for him and we never even have to have this conversation.

I'm okay with Allen, Rosen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Darnold, Jackson in the 1st round. Take a chance on somebody!

Jackson-Arizona is a nice match. McCoy is an Erhardt-Perkins guy and Jackson looks pretty damn good with a Cardinal on the side of his helmet. 

I think we pick at 2, 4, or 7. Somewhere along those lines depending on how the draft shapes up. I don't think the Colts will be willing to trade out, unless Chubb is gone. 

My gut tells me they are going to fall in love with AJ McCarron once they get to know him. I think they brought him in knowing very little about him and I think they are going to be pleasantly surprised. He has process written all over him. With that said, If they can't trade up, I think they wind up using one of those third round picks on a QB. I don't think Beane will reach and force the issues. 

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Jackson-Arizona is a nice match. McCoy is an Erhardt-Perkins guy and Jackson looks pretty damn good with a Cardinal on the side of his helmet. 

I think we pick at 2, 4, or 7. Somewhere along those lines depending on how the draft shapes up. I don't think the Colts will be willing to trade out, unless Chubb is gone. 

My gut tells me they are going to fall in love with AJ McCarron once they get to know him. I think they brought him in knowing very little about him and I think they are going to be pleasantly surprised. He has process written all over him. With that said, If they can't trade up, I think they wind up using one of those third round picks on a QB. I don't think Beane will reach and force the issues. 

I don't think there is any chance we don't take a QB in the 1st. In a QB heavy draft with Beane on record saying his #1 priority is to find a franchise QB, I don't think he will take no for answer.

All it takes is Allen, Darnold or Rosen to come tumbling down to 7 (probably Allen) and we can easily jump up 5 spots and no other team can match our firepower.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I don't think there is any chance we don't take a QB in the 1st. In a QB heavy draft with Beane on record saying his #1 priority is to find a franchise QB, I don't think he will take no for answer.

All it takes is Allen, Darnold or Rosen to come tumbling down to 7 (probably Allen) and we can easily jump up 5 spots and no other team can match our firepower.

True. That is the concept of striking distance!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

The problem is, once you think you have it figured out, something crazy happens. My head hurts trying to wrap my brain around all the scenarios. All I know is, I don’t want to get desperate and reach for a QB. If that means not drafting a qb until the 2nd or 3rd, so be it

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Me too. I made this thread because I’ve seen way too many people posting that they would take Rudolph at 12, IN THE FIRST ROUND. I even saw one poster say that they weren’t sure if he’d still be there at 12. This made me believe that as a society, we are screwed. The level of intelligence has severely dipped and I believe the end of civilization is coming sooner than we think

So we don't need a franchise QB......if the world is going to end ;)

When I read the title I went Oh boy ;)

Then I read the first line and  ROTFLMAO....well done.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Im actually starting to have a forehead dent in my table. As for if the table or posts are doing more damage... That's up for debate

This is one of the coolest stories I’ve ever read in my life. I’m going to come back later and read it again. Hopefully it will be just as cool then

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I could see Shea Patterson lighting it up at Michigan and Jarrett Stidham moving up boards as he is projectable. But yes, next year's class is not looking good right now. 

Don't like either. I think the 2019 class sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Drafting a late 2nd early 3rd round player ar #12 would be the stupidest thing the Bills could ever do! It would be nothing short of a catastrophe. 

Anyone who promotes this stance is so clueless on the scouting they need they need to stop! Heck taking him at #22 would be horrible! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Me too. I made this thread because I’ve seen way too many people posting that they would take Rudolph at 12, IN THE FIRST ROUND. I even saw one poster say that they weren’t sure if he’d still be there at 12. This made me believe that as a society, we are screwed. The level of intelligence has severely dipped and I believe the end of civilization is coming sooner than we think

Right?

I had some dude on another thread calling me an idiot because I told him he was nuts after he said Rudolph was ABSOLUTELY the NUMBER 2 BEST QB IN THIS DRAFT...

I thought he was joking.

He wasn't.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Funny thing is, if Rudolph came out in 2019, only Drew Lock would go ahead of him. There is literally no talent next year, the 5th and 6th best prospects in 2018 would go 2 and 3 in 2019. There is nobody next year unless we pick #1 overall and take Lock.

6'6" Justin Herbert of Oregon will be one of the top qbs if he declares for the draft imo. Only a jr. this coming year so he may not. Needs to fill out but he is young and has the frame to do so. 

6 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

This is one of the coolest stories I’ve ever read in my life. I’m going to come back later and read it again. Hopefully it will be just as cool then

Excellent! Hopefully it's as engaging as a 2nd viewing of Inception. Now you know the ending, you'll start to notice the intricacies of how the post was crafted and to the astute observer - how I left hints of my point before I actually came out and said it. Enjoy!!!

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1