Closest NFL comparison to Mason Rudolph... Tom Brady

watching all 6 I think they are flawed and all have nice upside Rosen to me has the most skills but the concussion thing give me pause .  Why not roll the dice at 21 with Rudolph or Jackson instead of giving up a ton to move up.  I honestly don't think if you watch all six perform you can say as they said in draft day " pro ready " 

Final point Baker played the best in college and now is 4th on most of the ranking I see 

2 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

I finally got around to watching Mason Rudolph and the parallels are jaw dropping. He looks like a Brady clone from every angle, strengths/weaknesses/physical stature and ability. I hate Brady, I’ve argued ad nauseum that he is a system QB. I’ve felt that Brady would have sucked under past Bills coaching regimes.

That said, the Bills now have DaBoll who you could consider a Bellicheck disciple. My bold prediction is that Rudolph lands on either the Bills or Patriots.

Before you call me crazy, check him out and observe the following:

1. Movement in the pocket. The similarity is uncanny, no other QB in the NFL manipulates the pocket like Brady. This was the first thing I noticed with Rudolph.

2. Vision and anticipation. He utilizes the entire field, finding receivers in the back of the endzone and all over the intermediate depths of the field.

3. Poise in the pocket and footwork.

4. Manipulating one-on-one matchups.  He is able to work defenders in one-on-ones with his receivers into poor leverage prior to the throw and then deliver the throw to the place that gives his receiver the best chance of catching it.

5. Usage of pump fakes and looking off the defense.

6. Varies his throws based on the skillsets of his receivers. For instance, he throws softer to guys with problematic hands.

7. Performed really well without very good receivers.

8. Works the officials for calls and skillfully draws PI calls.

His weaknesses mirror Brady. He doesn’t have top end arm strength and his accuracy can be spotty at times due to making anticipation based throws. Sometimes he lets the ball hang in the air a little too long. He is not a runner. His patience in the pocket can get the best of him on occasion.

He’s basically the same height and even has similar facial features, it is really eerie.

I assumed since many had him as the sixth best QB behind guys like Josh Allen and Jackson that he would be basically a guaranteed bust. Now I think he’ll wind up being the best QB in the class if he lands in the right system.

You are going to feel pretty stupid if you ever revisit this post a few years down the road.

3 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

You are going to feel pretty stupid if you ever revisit this post a few years down the road.

Your post gives me deja vu from the old BBMB when I said the Bills should draft Russell Wilson in the first round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If he is a day two pick i am on board.we can take our time and actually develop a qb and not play him for a few years.who knows maybe aj develops also and 3 years from now a team gives the bills draft picks for rudolph or even a luke falk

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

sounds like JP Losman

...LMAO...he does have a championship ring (couldn't resist)?....go back and re-read the 2004 draft pundits' pre draft prognostications....."heir apparent gunslinger to Favre going to the Pack at #23".....and Tom Terrific snookered everybody moving to 22...man was a genius.....

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Arm strength is the easiest thing to add when you go from college to pro...weight lifting regimens are far different in college than in the pros...

since Brady is mentioned I will point the Tom brady that played at Michigan and showed up at the combine has a much different body then the one he had a few years later. 

how he got it there I will leave it up for each of you to decide 

28 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the trade the farm for Rosen crowd feel pretty stupid in a few years. I don't see a sure thing among these qbs, or have a favorite. 

His movement in the pocket reminds me a lot of Phillip Rivers. Very similar in many ways but his arm strength is not as good. If he was able to put a little more zip on the ball I would really like Rudolph as a prospect. His lack of arm strength is his Achilles heel. If he is able to improve it enough and mask it with anticipation then he could be successfull. 

35 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Your post gives me deja vu from the old BBMB when I said the Bills should draft Russell Wilson in the first round.

who were you there?

I mean troll seems to come to mind but it could take a toll on me trying to relate it to your username here.

I don't have much against them picking up rudolph, he would be on my list above allen and jackson.

I liked rosen but the concussion deal bothers me. mayfield has some fire and darnold could be considered?

at the end of the day, it doesn't matter too much who I like or dislike. I just hope they pull the trigger on any of the top prospects come draft day?

Rudolph is going to need a lot of work on his field vision for the NFL. He rarely works beyond his primary read and constantly stares down his first option. In terms of his longer-term development, Rudolph was wise to return for his senior season. He should focus on improving his field vision to work through progressions before going pro. Along with improving his footwork, working on being under center, and learning how to call NFL plays.

Jackson has a good athletic skill set, but will need to show more accuracy and pocket-passing skills in 2017. He also faces some size concerns and needs to add weight. Teams do feel that Jackson has a ton of athletic ability and upside to grow. He also has gotten good early reviews for his character, leadership and toughness.

Mayfield stepped up in 2015 and carried the Sooners late in the season as they earned a spot in the college playoff. He was a Heisman finalist as he completed 68 percent of his passes for 3,700 yards with 36 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Mayfield also ran for 405 yards with seven scores.

Allen could end up being a love/hate prospect. There is no doubt that he has superb physical talent to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. In 2016, Allen completed 56 percent of his passes for 3,203 yards with 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Rosen had an impressive debut as a freshman, completing 60 percent of his passes for 3,670 yards with 23 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He showed off a powerful arm and the ability to be an NFL pocket passer. While Rosen has gotten a ton of hype, the same thing happened with Christian Hackenberg after his freshman season. Thus, Rosen still has more to prove as a junior to be a high first-rounder.

Darnold completed 67 percent of his passes in 2016 for 3,086 yards with 31 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He has size, a strong-enough arm and accuracy, plus led USC on a nine-game winning streak to end last season. There is buzz of him being a No. 1-overall talent at the position. Team sources say that the early feedback is that Darnold has good intangibles as well.

2018 NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterbacks

Sven earlier in the thread said Rudolph is "not a great runner to say the least". Not saying he is a good runner but he did run for 10 tds last year, more than anyone but Jackson. Next highest had 5, Rosen ran for -97yds and 2 tds. So using his run ability as a knock against him doesn't ring true. I am hoping the Bills get their prospect without giving up picks.

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I thought about Rudolph at 22, but I think we can get him in the 2nd, not to mention taking a QB in the 1st is a big commitment, a commitment I would only make for an elite QB prospect.

A failed 2nd round QB, you can move on from in a year. A failed 1st round QB can get yourself fired. I don't think McDermott and Beane should rest their fate on an Andy Dalton kind of prospect.

if we think we can get him in the 2nd, he will be a patriot.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

who were you there?

I mean troll seems to come to mind but it could take a toll on me trying to relate it to your username here.

I don't have much against them picking up rudolph, he would be on my list above allen and jackson.

I liked rosen but the concussion deal bothers me. mayfield has some fire and darnold could be considered?

at the end of the day, it doesn't matter too much who I like or dislike. I just hope they pull the trigger on any of the top prospects come draft day?

Rudolph is going to need a lot of work on his field vision for the NFL. He rarely works beyond his primary read and constantly stares down his first option. In terms of his longer-term development, Rudolph was wise to return for his senior season. He should focus on improving his field vision to work through progressions before going pro. Along with improving his footwork, working on being under center, and learning how to call NFL plays.

Jackson has a good athletic skill set, but will need to show more accuracy and pocket-passing skills in 2017. He also faces some size concerns and needs to add weight. Teams do feel that Jackson has a ton of athletic ability and upside to grow. He also has gotten good early reviews for his character, leadership and toughness.

Mayfield stepped up in 2015 and carried the Sooners late in the season as they earned a spot in the college playoff. He was a Heisman finalist as he completed 68 percent of his passes for 3,700 yards with 36 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Mayfield also ran for 405 yards with seven scores.

Allen could end up being a love/hate prospect. There is no doubt that he has superb physical talent to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. In 2016, Allen completed 56 percent of his passes for 3,203 yards with 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

Rosen had an impressive debut as a freshman, completing 60 percent of his passes for 3,670 yards with 23 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He showed off a powerful arm and the ability to be an NFL pocket passer. While Rosen has gotten a ton of hype, the same thing happened with Christian Hackenberg after his freshman season. Thus, Rosen still has more to prove as a junior to be a high first-rounder.

Darnold completed 67 percent of his passes in 2016 for 3,086 yards with 31 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He has size, a strong-enough arm and accuracy, plus led USC on a nine-game winning streak to end last season. There is buzz of him being a No. 1-overall talent at the position. Team sources say that the early feedback is that Darnold has good intangibles as well.

2018 NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterbacks

Yea... WalterFootball..... take with a pinch of salt. 

• Thank you (+1) 1