Closest NFL comparison to Mason Rudolph... Tom Brady

14 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Wow.....this comparison couldn't be further from the truth.  I watched every single one of his games and the last guy he should be compared to is Tom Brady. 

The guy throws a beautiful deep ball.  Maybe the nicest deep ball in the entire class.  After that.....nothing.  Weak arm, especially for a guy that size.  Inaccurate on short to intermediate passes.  Plays in a gimmick offense that spreads the field and designs guys to get open.  Works only out of shotgun.  Not a great runner to say the least.  His ceiling is not high at all.

Good kid.  Well respected and a hard worker, but will need a lot of work to become even an average NFL QB.  Tom Brady he is not.

He is the most accurate intermediate thrower in the draft. I actually don't love his deep ball. He completed a high percentage of them but that many required receiver adjustments. The intermediate range throws are on time and on the money. Rudolph is the Quarterback from this class I have watched the most of because I am seemingly higher on him than most and that gave me pause to go back and re-check. I think the kid has legitimate chance to be a good NFL Quarterback. His ceiling is kind of Derek Carr / Eli Manning to me. His floor is someone like a Matt Moore. He is certainly not Tom Brady. I have him on the 1st / 2nd round borderline and I actually think given all the activity higher up the draft that is probably where he goes too. I'd say first 10 picks of day 2. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I finally got around to watching Mason Rudolph and the parallels are jaw dropping. He looks like a Brady clone from every angle, strengths/weaknesses/physical stature and ability. I hate Brady, I’ve argued ad nauseum that he is a system QB. I’ve felt that Brady would have sucked under past Bills coaching regimes.

That said, the Bills now have DaBoll who you could consider a Bellicheck disciple. My bold prediction is that Rudolph lands on either the Bills or Patriots.

Before you call me crazy, check him out and observe the following:

1. Movement in the pocket. The similarity is uncanny, no other QB in the NFL manipulates the pocket like Brady. This was the first thing I noticed with Rudolph.

2. Vision and anticipation. He utilizes the entire field, finding receivers in the back of the endzone and all over the intermediate depths of the field.

3. Poise in the pocket and footwork.

4. Manipulating one-on-one matchups.  He is able to work defenders in one-on-ones with his receivers into poor leverage prior to the throw and then deliver the throw to the place that gives his receiver the best chance of catching it.

5. Usage of pump fakes and looking off the defense.

6. Varies his throws based on the skillsets of his receivers. For instance, he throws softer to guys with problematic hands.

7. Performed really well without very good receivers.

8. Works the officials for calls and skillfully draws PI calls.

His weaknesses mirror Brady. He doesn’t have top end arm strength and his accuracy can be spotty at times due to making anticipation based throws. Sometimes he lets the ball hang in the air a little too long. He is not a runner. His patience in the pocket can get the best of him on occasion.

He’s basically the same height and even has similar facial features, it is really eerie.

I assumed since many had him as the sixth best QB behind guys like Josh Allen and Jackson that he would be basically a guaranteed bust. Now I think he’ll wind up being the best QB in the class if he lands in the right system.

I’ve been very high on Rudolph and would be happy if the Bills drafted him.

Take Ro’Quan at 12 and Mason at 21.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, McBean said:

I’ve been very high on Rudolph and would be happy if the Bills drafted him.

Take Ro’Quan at 12 and Mason at 21.

I'd be in if we could take Roquan @12 someone else at 22 and trade back into 27-32 and take Rudolph.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

but... the question at hand is whether or not he compares favorably with Brady.

His scouting reports coming out of college are better than Brady's. This is were the OP is trying to make some comparison. I do not think Mason will ever be Brady personally. I do feel he has upside to Big Ben as the physical traits are there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

His scouting reports coming out of college are better than Brady's. This is were the OP is trying to make some comparison. I do not think Mason will ever be Brady personally. I do feel he has upside to Big Ben as the physical traits are there.

Big Ben has a great arm though?

I would not be upset if the Bills kept all of their picks and drafted Rudolph at 22. Beane has been very consistent about building this team through the draft. I just do not see him trading most of his draft capital to get to #2, which is, most likely, the only way to get Darnold or Rosen. I see Beane building a solid young core of players with this draft and taking the QB his team (consensus wise) believes has the best potential to develop into a very good NFL QB - and, I think, that QB might be Rudolph. 

7 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Big Ben has a great arm though?

That is the debate and what our FO/Scouts need to determine.

SIze = both 6'5

40's = both around 4.8

Weight = Mason is currently 235 and Ben coming out I think was 241.

Edited by Real McCoy

Lance Zierlein says Christian Ponder. I think I'll go with him. 

He says: 

BOTTOM LINE

Pocket quarterback with good size who has shown consistent improvement as a passer. Rudolph is more of a downfield, play-action passer than a quarterback who can win with precision and arm strength. He's a capable field reader who has the ability to operate with timing which will be important since his arm can be dull at times. Rudolph could be an early backup with the potential of becoming an average to below average starter in the league.

The one comparison you could make to Brady is that he's football smart. This video convinced me of that:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000919190/Combine-Whiteboard-Mason-Rudolph-with-Steve-Mariucci

He had a good head on his shoulders, very mature and a hard worker. If we want a developmental prospect he would be my choice.

43 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Two bullets, one being a strength and one being a weakness

Strengths

• Good NFL arm strength and is able to get enough zip on it when it needs to go in a tight window.

Weaknesses

• Inexplicably off target sometimes with balls being thrown behind his receiver. On throws that really need to be zipped in, he may struggle unless his velocity can improve with a more efficient throwing motion.

Seems a bit contradictory. Not sure if he has the "zip" that's necessary based on this assessment

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

7. Performed really well without very good receivers. Oh really? 

He for sure had a great cast, but the one thing I'm going to look at today though is his pass placement.  That's really all I care about.  Good cast or bad cast I want to see pass placement and great decision making.

Let me put this here again: 

Go to NFL.com and draft ratings and compare their grade on Nate Peterman to their grade on Rudolph. They have Peterman with a slightly higher grade. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mason-rudolph?id=2559942

The Rudolph love is asinine. He's a future backup with little upside. 

AJ McCarron grade slightly higher than both. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aj-mccarron?id=2543497

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The one comparison you could make to Brady is that he's football smart. This video convinced me of that:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000919190/Combine-Whiteboard-Mason-Rudolph-with-Steve-Mariucci

He had a good head on his shoulders, very mature and a hard worker. If we want a developmental prospect he would be my choice.

my choice would be Luke Falk.

after the 2016 season, he was being touted as the #1 overall pick. did he fall off the clif or was he never reeally that good to begin with? either way, i'm all for a late flier on the kid.

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Let me put this here again: 

Go to NFL.com and draft ratings and compare their grade on Nate Peterman to their grade on Rudolph. They have Peterman with a slightly higher grade. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mason-rudolph?id=2559942

The Rudolph love is asinine. He's a future backup with little upside. 

AJ McCarron grade slightly higher than both. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aj-mccarron?id=2543497

Well they are just wrong. My grade on Peterman was a bordlerline 7th / UDFA. He sucked as an NFL prospect. Rudolph is a significantly better prospect and some NFL.com person disagreeing changes my mind not one iota. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Well they are just wrong. My grade on Peterman was a bordlerline 7th / UDFA. He sucked as an NFL prospect. Rudolph is a significantly better prospect and some NFL.com person disagreeing changes my mind not one iota. 

This is right where I'm at as well. I will trust the decision of McD and Beane is they decide to gamble or roll the dice on this kid.