Closest NFL comparison to Mason Rudolph... Tom Brady

I finally got around to watching Mason Rudolph and the parallels are jaw dropping. He looks like a Brady clone from every angle, strengths/weaknesses/physical stature and ability. I hate Brady, I’ve argued ad nauseum that he is a system QB. I’ve felt that Brady would have sucked under past Bills coaching regimes.

That said, the Bills now have DaBoll who you could consider a Bellicheck disciple. My bold prediction is that Rudolph lands on either the Bills or Patriots.

Before you call me crazy, check him out and observe the following:

1. Movement in the pocket. The similarity is uncanny, no other QB in the NFL manipulates the pocket like Brady. This was the first thing I noticed with Rudolph.

2. Vision and anticipation. He utilizes the entire field, finding receivers in the back of the endzone and all over the intermediate depths of the field.

3. Poise in the pocket and footwork.

4. Manipulating one-on-one matchups.  He is able to work defenders in one-on-ones with his receivers into poor leverage prior to the throw and then deliver the throw to the place that gives his receiver the best chance of catching it.

5. Usage of pump fakes and looking off the defense.

6. Varies his throws based on the skillsets of his receivers. For instance, he throws softer to guys with problematic hands.

7. Performed really well without very good receivers.

8. Works the officials for calls and skillfully draws PI calls.

His weaknesses mirror Brady. He doesn’t have top end arm strength and his accuracy can be spotty at times due to making anticipation based throws. Sometimes he lets the ball hang in the air a little too long. He is not a runner. His patience in the pocket can get the best of him on occasion.

He’s basically the same height and even has similar facial features, it is really eerie.

I assumed since many had him as the sixth best QB behind guys like Josh Allen and Jackson that he would be basically a guaranteed bust. Now I think he’ll wind up being the best QB in the class if he lands in the right system.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 8

Wow.....this comparison couldn't be further from the truth.  I watched every single one of his games and the last guy he should be compared to is Tom Brady. 

The guy throws a beautiful deep ball.  Maybe the nicest deep ball in the entire class.  After that.....nothing.  Weak arm, especially for a guy that size.  Inaccurate on short to intermediate passes.  Plays in a gimmick offense that spreads the field and designs guys to get open.  Works only out of shotgun.  Not a great runner to say the least.  His ceiling is not high at all.

Good kid.  Well respected and a hard worker, but will need a lot of work to become even an average NFL QB.  Tom Brady he is not.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Wow.....this comparison couldn't be further from the truth.  I watched every single one of his games and the last guy he should be compared to is Tom Brady. 

The guy throws a beautiful deep ball.  Maybe the nicest deep ball in the entire class.  After that.....nothing.  Weak arm, especially for a guy that size.  Inaccurate on short to intermediate passes.  Plays in a gimmick offense that designs guys to get open.  Not a great runner at all.  His ceiling is not high at all.

Good kid.  Well respected and a hard worker, but will need a lot of work to become even an average NFL QB.  Tom Brady he is not.

sounds like JP Losman

Steelers or Patriots would love to have him.

Rudulph replace Big Ben

Here is Tom Brady's draft profile:

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

sounds like JP Losman

Losman had a much bigger arm and was a lot more mobile....  Rudolph might be a little more accurate, but he misses easy throws than no NFL QB should miss on a regular basis.

Funny how it's the OP's 1st post on the board and he get's blown up or trolled by the "VET's" here for sharing his opinion.

I like Mason as well, he has a ton of upside. If we can't land Rosen or Baker I have no problem if McD or Beane take him or Jackson.

It's all out of our hands. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I thought about Rudolph at 22, but I think we can get him in the 2nd, not to mention taking a QB in the 1st is a big commitment, a commitment I would only make for an elite QB prospect.

A failed 2nd round QB, you can move on from in a year. A failed 1st round QB can get yourself fired. I don't think McDermott and Beane should rest their fate on an Andy Dalton kind of prospect.

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Funny how's it's the OP's 1st post on the board and he get's blown up or trolled by the "VET's" here for sharing his opinion.

I like Mason as well, he has a ton of upside. If we can't land Rosen or Baker I have no problem if McD or Beane take him or Jackson.

It's all out of our hands. 

but... the question at hand is whether or not he compares favorably with Brady.

Edited by Foxx

12 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The guy throws a beautiful deep ball.  Maybe the nicest deep ball in the entire class.  After that.....nothing.  Weak arm, especially for a guy that size.  Inaccurate on short to intermediate passes.  Plays in a gimmick offense that spreads the field and designs guys to get open.  Works only out of shotgun.  Not a great runner to say the least.  His ceiling is not high at all.

".....Is not what you’re looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed that as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone."   They were talking about Brady...you just never really know.