Dan Jeremiah - Bills covet Allen

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I can cherry pick too. It’s a waste of time. 

Just like choosing a project qb in the first. 

Sure you can and that's why you or anyone else has no idea of how successful Allen will be in the pros.

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

GMs who play it safe get fired just like those who take calculated risks. 

GMs who don't provide their team with options get fired as well. To enter the season with McCarron and Peterman isn't much better than going with EJM, Thad Lewis, and Jeff Tuel. 

The guy who pulled that stunt got fired. 

...in a potentially lucrative QB clas year, rest assured McBeane is taking one IMO...may not be the consensus pick, but I'd bet he takes a QB....forget "wait 'til next year" crap....it may never come....

35 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Im sure there is a die hard bills fan out there who works for the NSA.  Or has a Russian connection, who could work to hack the other teams draft boards and help us aquire the next all pro QB, which is Rosen.  Knowing who wants whom would really help us maneuver. 

For the right price anything is possible 

If this is true and the Bills love Allen, then I think a big thank you is needed for the Jets for the trade they made yesterday.  If the Bills had intentions of trading a ton of assets away to get into the top 5 only to draft Josh Allen, then the Jets may have done the Bills a huge favor yesterday.  The only thing that is worse than not being able to trade for for the guy that we want is trading up for Josh Allen.

If Allen makes it to 12 on his own, I am still not sure I want to draft him anyways.  But trading multiple first and 2nd round picks for Allen would be a disaster.

Look.....Allen could very well be good someday.  Who knows, he could turn out to be the best QB in the class, but man.....there is a much better chance that he won't be and I would prefer some other team to take that chance.

Edited by sven233

48 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

NFL careers are on the line with whatever they do. The safer choice might be to stay at 12 and see what AJ McCarron can do this year.

You could make the same arguement the other way. NFL careers are on the line here, we can’t go into the season with just McCarron. 

For me, I don’t mind sending a bunch of draft capital to move up, take our guy, and have McCarron turn into a stud. I see it as an investment in the position not the player. If it costs the Bills 2 firsts this year and maybe one next year, and McCarron is the man, then so be it, it’s the cost of the position for the next 15 years. 

52 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

NFL careers are on the line with whatever they do. The safer choice might be to stay at 12 and see what AJ McCarron can do this year.

not a terrible option.  It's possible that Mayfield falls to 12, which would be fantastic, IMO.  

Allen needs to sit behind a vet.  I see the Steelers, Saints, etc. taking him .  

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

You could make the same arguement the other way. NFL careers are on the line here, we can’t go into the season with just McCarron. 

For me, I don’t mind sending a bunch of draft capital to move up, take our guy, and have McCarron turn into a stud. I see it as an investment in the position not the player. If it costs the Bills 2 firsts this year and maybe one next year, and McCarron is the man, then so be it, it’s the cost of the position for the next 15 years. 

If it's Rosen, I have a big issue with trading three #1s for a guy that's is possibly one more concussion from being out of the league. Especially when his dad is a doctor and would probably advise him to hang it up. And I'm aware there are varying levels of concussions, but there has to be some cumulative effect and possibility of CTE. 

The classic counter point to the accuracy problem is of course hall of famer Brett Favre. He finished his college career with a 52.4% completion percentage and finished his NFL career with a 62.0% completion percentage. Allen certainly has a Favre-like cannon.

FWIW, I hope Buffalo gets Lamar Jackson. He has more upside than anyone in this class and a fairly safe floor. At worst, you're getting a better passing version of Tyrod with way more ability to run. 

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

not a terrible option.  It's possible that Mayfield falls to 12, which would be fantastic, IMO.  

Allen needs to sit behind a vet.  I see the Steelers, Saints, etc. taking him .  

Steelers would have to move up and do they have enough draft capital to make it happen ? 

24 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't think we have enough or the a highest 1 to make it worth while for the Giants...

Yeah, I think we do. But I just don't see Beane doing that. I've pretty much reserved myself to the notion that if any of "the big 4" fall to 12 we probably draft him. Otherwise, the search continues

1 minute ago, alluro said:

The classic counter point to the accuracy problem is of course hall of famer Brett Favre. He finished his college career with a 52.4% completion percentage and finished his NFL career with a 62.0% completion percentage. Allen certainly has a Favre-like cannon.

FWIW, I hope Buffalo gets Lamar Jackson. He has more upside than anyone in this class and a fairly safe floor. At worst, you're getting a better passing version of Tyrod with way more ability to run. 

Jury's out on whether Jackson is a better passer than Tyrod whose NFL stats are not bad at all. 

I actually like Allen the most out of any QB in the draft, not enough to trade the farm for, but enough to trade up to #6 without hesitation. Guy has a golden arm, very mobile and can break tackles. I think Allen is a perfect fit for Buffalo and we are the ideal landing spot for him as well IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Allbright already stated that the Bills are purposely shoving this info out there to multiple sources. DJ is likely one of them. 

OBD has been vacuum sealed on info since Beane’s team got there. Everything they’ve done was sans leak. Except for what they wanted out there - that they wouldn’t cut TT so if you want him, better trade for him. Now all of a sudden they are leaking real info about the most important decision in their world? Think about that, please.

I still think they like Rosen

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Yeah, I think we do. But I just don't see Beane doing that. I've pretty much reserved myself to the notion that if any of "the big 4" fall to 12 we probably draft him. Otherwise, the search continues

I should be careful how I say that, it will take the top 3 rounds of of this draft and possibly the top 2 of next year; which is why I said we don't have enough...

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I should be careful how I say that, it will take the top 3 rounds of of this draft and possibly the top 2 of next year; which is why I said we don't have enough...

Again, if that's a possibility for them to get our guy, do it. But that doesn't seem likely now. And I don't see them reaching for scraps at a huge price. That's all I meant

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

There is always next years first for example. Not saying I would do it and I doubt Beane would go there either.

I think we will be into next year's 1 & 2 in order to go up in addition to this years top 2 or 3 rounds...I don't think the giants will want to slide to 12. They would rather have Nelson + the 22 and so forth

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Again, if that's a possibility for them to get our guy, do it. But that doesn't seem likely now. And I don't see them reaching for scraps at a huge price. That's all I meant

I agree