My advice to Beane and co. - Trust their process

Magox

"Trust the process"

We have been hearing it for over a year now and now more than ever, Beane/McD need to live up to their mantra.  

When they were hired I read up on them as I'm sure all of you had and one of the things that instantly stuck out to me was the detailed nature of their vision. 

They proved their mettle with the Watkins/Darby trade, this is not to rehash the validity of the trade but to reinforce that they did indeed have a process and they had the stones to follow through with it despite the withering criticism from certain quarters of the fanbase.

They have a draft board, they need to trust their board and stick to it.

They have a value for each player and they need to trust that value and not feel the pressure to chase.  If they value someone very highly and it's above what the trade/draft charts then pull the trigger.  If they like a player but the player has now significantly gone above the value they set for that person then Trust the process and move to the next player.

Their scouts have been at it all year, they have been laser focused on this and they need to trust their valuations and stick to it.

That's my hope.

• Like (+1) 3

Good post. I see your thought process. 

However, Im not sure I would agree on this. 

Beane clearly is moving picks/players to gain draft capital this year and spending money next year. I think he is fully prepared to sacrifice this years first rounders and 2019s first to get their guy (who I’m starting to think is Rosen). This move leaves them with second and third round talents to add a couple starters, and depth at the least. These moves also allows them to be extremely aggressive in FA 2019 to make up for the lost first rounder.  

These guys seem prepared for this, even with the Jets move. I’ve got to imagine they were anticipating, or aware, that a QB needy team was looking to move up and have a contingency plan that allows them to still follow through on their plan. 

But who knows, apparently we don't know squat! 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

Yeah, I'm not advocating that they don't "overpay" if that's what their value chart says, more that they just stick to their valuations.  And I do agree that they very likely regard one or a couple of the QB prospects highly because of the moves you mentioned.

I still think there is a good chance they get a QB early

23 minutes ago, Magox said:

"Trust the process"

Their scouts have been at it all year, they have been laser focused on this and they need to trust their valuations and stick to it.

That's my hope.

Agree with this caveat: do not undervalue the position (and I don't think they will). What I mean is don't forget that qb is the most important position in major sports (IMO). Don't be crazy, but, also don't think that a qb that you have a 2nd round grade on will be there come your picks and so on round after round.  See your guy, get your guy realizing that qbs are over drafted every single year. You wait, you lose.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mead107 said:

We already have our QB. No need to give away 5 picks when we have so many other needs. 

Mead, I hear what you are saying but I don't believe we can consider AJ our future QB just yet.  If the Beane/McD had thought so they probably would have targeted him earlier with a more substantial contract

56 minutes ago, Magox said:

"Trust the process"

We have been hearing it for over a year now and now more than ever, Beane/McD need to live up to their mantra.  

When they were hired I read up on them as I'm sure all of you had and one of the things that instantly stuck out to me was the detailed nature of their vision. 

They proved their mettle with the Watkins/Darby trade, this is not to rehash the validity of the trade but to reinforce that they did indeed have a process and they had the stones to follow through with it despite the withering criticism from certain quarters of the fanbase.

They have a value for each player and they need to trust that value and not feel the pressure to chase.  If they value someone very highly and it's above what the trade/draft charts then pull the trigger.  If they like a player but the player has now significantly gone above the value they set for that person then Trust the process and move to the next player.

That's my hope.

i agree with this. i think that the "liquidation of assets" leading into the draft was done with the express purpose of having as much "draft capital" as possible at their disposal. their have to be various players they covet at various costs. how much they are willing to pay for who, and the differences between said player and the next on their board are going to be a very important part of the process. all i know is that this could be incredibly fun, or extremely frustrating, depending on how everything plays out. but right now, i am definitely trusting the process!

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

You think we're overusing "trust the process" much? 
Geezus 

it is our version of "serenity now".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Good post. I see your thought process. 

However, Im not sure I would agree on this. 

Beane clearly is moving picks/players to gain draft capital this year and spending money next year. I think he is fully prepared to sacrifice this years first rounders and 2019s first to get their guy (who I’m starting to think is Rosen). This move leaves them with second and third round talents to add a couple starters, and depth at the least. These moves also allows them to be extremely aggressive in FA 2019 to make up for the lost first rounder.  

These guys seem prepared for this, even with the Jets move. I’ve got to imagine they were anticipating, or aware, that a QB needy team was looking to move up and have a contingency plan that allows them to still follow through on their plan. 

But who knows, apparently we don't know squat! 

I agree to trust the process as original post mentioned.  Many assume most of the trades were made to make more trades for one of the top 3 spots.  I'm not sure I agree.  What if the process is.... The difference between the 1 - 6 QB's in minimal, there is no lock, 3 of them could be a bust, lets be in a place where we are guaranteed one of the top QB's (4th, 5th or 6th) taken, without trading away all are picks that we can fill holes with.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

"Trust the process"

That's my hope.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Also, if the cards should fall that we simply miss on "our" guy this year, I can certainly see the braintrust trading away #22 for someone's first next year to give us a shot then. Yeah, the class isn't slated to be as good as this year, but there's always one that seems to be a franchise guy. And as long as we maintain an upper hand when it comes to capital, I gotta have faith that they will Identify, and be in a position to strike, without overspending or reaching out of panic at the detriment of the rest of the team. Next year is shaping up to be a good year. We will have a ton of cap space and this team should be rebuilt for several years to come. After that, its all gravy. Just maintain and stay the course