[Vague Title]You don't know squat

25 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

He's still 100% right though (even though you've correctly categorized his type of post). And his point should have the effect of ringing true to legions of message board posters when they read it. It should be something that at least sticks in the back of their heads as they (we) play out their male version of a soap opera pretending they know better or that the Bills should be able to know and even control the actions of other NFL teams.

And my contention is that sometimes there are fans who out-perform Bills management.

I don't demand perfection. I'm a Bills Fan and I know better. That said, Bills management scoffed at the idea of drafting Mahomes or Watson last year. Instead, they traded down and selected a corner (what a shock!). I can recall a slew of TBD posters not liking this move. Make no mistake, White looks like an excellent corner. Still, do you think that this trade was a good idea? I don't and never have. It reminds me too much of mistakes of the past:

Whitner at #8 - He was "good" and we "needed" a safety.

McKelvin at #11 - Another supposed "need" pick. He played well..... after a few years.

Dareus, Gilmore, A. Williams, Darby.....I could go on and on listing players that we drafted that were considered to be "good" while we had quarterback issues and lost football games. Now, this GM and Coach seem to be much better. You don't see me here ripping them apart. Still, they must show us more. Bills Fans deserve it.

Given the above, I don't have a problem with a fans calling out team leadership and holding them responsible for huge mistakes.  I mean this IS a message board, and one that happens to contain some folks who I consider to be extremely knowledgeable.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Fetou said:

I'm generally inclined to agree. With a few exceptions:

1) I know Brian Orakpo is better than Aaron Maybin. I've always known, since I was born

2) I know Donte Whitner isn't worth the 8th pick overall

3) I know fan picks as a rule have been better than the player we've ended up with in 1st round for the last ~15 years.

Hopefully we now have a FO who has the ability to compete with drunk Bills fans.

Haloti Ngata was better than the BeastMode when you already had Travis Henry

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Fetou said:

1) I know Brian Orakpo is better than Aaron Maybin. I've always known, since I was born

2) I know Donte Whitner isn't worth the 8th pick overall

3) I know fan picks as a rule have been better than the player we've ended up with in 1st round for the last ~15 years.

Hopefully we now have a FO who has the ability to compete with drunk Bills fans.

I couldn't have said it any better!!! Nice work.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

And my contention is that sometimes there are fans who out-perform Bills management.

I don't demand perfection. I'm a Bills Fan and I know better. That said, Bills management scoffed at the idea of drafting Mahomes or Watson last year. Instead, they traded down and selected a corner (what a shock!). I can recall a slew of TBD posters not liking this move. Make no mistake, White looks like an excellent corner. Still, do you think that this trade was a good idea? I don't and never have. It reminds me too much of mistakes of the past:

Whitner at #8 - He was "good" and we "needed" a safety.

McKelvin at #11 - Another supposed "need" pick. He played well..... after a few years.

Dareus, Gilmore, A. Williams, Darby.....I could go on and on listing players that we drafted that were considered to be "good" while we had quarterback issues and lost football games. Now, this GM and Coach seem to be much better. You don't see me here ripping them apart. Still, they must show us more. Bills Fans deserve it.

Given the above, I don't have a problem with a fans calling out team leadership and holding them responsible for huge mistakes.  I mean this IS a message board, and one that happens to contain some folks who I consider to be extremely knowledgeable.

Jmo.

Regarding Mahomes why in the world do people just assume some kid out of a school that has never had a QB succeed in the league, a kid who many thought lacked footwork and ability to work under center, is going to be some great NFL QB?

i wish they would have taken Watson and said so last year after the draft.

6 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

We also entered the draft in the "unfortunate'' and unexpected position of having made the play-offs, hence pick #22 - only so much you can do with the cards you're dealt and the math invovled. That said, I think a move up is still a possibility.

Exactly . This seems lost on so many. Pick 12 in round one is just not going to win vs pick 6 . You can sweeten the pot, but the Colts are simply using you as leverage to extract what they want from the Jets. The Jets complied and got the pick. Teams want to get elite talent at a position , that usually means a top ten pick if you want certainty.  There are other options. They didn't want to move out of the top ten. 

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Regarding Mahomes why in the world do people just assume some kid out of a school that has never had a QB succeed in the league, a kid who many thought lacked footwork and ability to work under center, is going to be some great NFL QB?

i wish they would have taken Watson and said so last year after the draft.

Well,  Andy Reid thought enough of him to trade away a very good Alex Smith.

I too wanted Watson. I'm a Crimson Tide Fan and saw how well he played against Saban defenses. You saw how Clemson looked against the Tide without Watson.

You see OMF? YOU out-guessed Bills management! ;):) 

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I too wanted Watson. I'm a Crimson Tide Fan and saw how well he played against Saban defenses. You saw how Clemson looked against the Tide without Watson.

OMF?

2 hours ago, terrytate said:

Would you say you have better odds getting a star qb in the Top 5 picks or the rest of the picks in the nfl?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-entering-week-6

13 of the starting 32 qb's in the league are top 5 picks.   

it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the nfl draft is about odds.  Getting a top 5 pick gives you the best odds to find a superbowl caliber qb

The numbers don't back that up. Since '99 only two top 5 QBs have won Superbowls. Both have the surname of Manning. There are only a few top 5s that actually played in a Super Bowl during that span. It's far from a sure thing and not even much greater odds of finding that player in the top 5 in recent decades. 

5 hours ago, Pbomb said:

The draft is over? Damn i was hoping we would have gotten a qb

Right? Fans are acting like the Giants trade has already been rejected. Everyone just simmer down, don't get your panties in a bunch and let this play out. Take a deep breath and repeat after me....

"TRUST THE PROCESS"

"THE PROCESS IS YOUR FRIEND "

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm a huge Watson fan too and loved his performance while at Clemson. After I saw the ESPN pre draft QB segment on him, I was sold even more. However, his story as an NFL player is far from written. There have been many QBs that started hot and cooled off considerably . Saying that fans who wanted Watson out guessed Bills management is far from the truth right now. The 2018 draft hasn't even happened yet. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Right? Fans are acting like the Giants trade has already been rejected. Everyone just simmer down, don't get your panties in a bunch and let this play out. Take a deep breath and repeat after me....

"TRUST THE PROCESS"

"THE PROCESS IS YOUR FRIEND "

It certainly isn’t done but yesterday can’t be taken as a positive for those of us in the trade up crowd. The Jets paid a massive premium and took away the most likely trading partner. Now there is one less option and the price is extreme. That trade was not good at all for the Bills.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I indicated above there may be a few that have worked or coached at a higher level.  The vast majority have not yet some think they know it all 

Nope

Most folks simply have an opinion, and you seem to have an issue with that 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Are they currently working there?

the lid was slapped shut when McDermott took over.  

Very very little was “leaked”.  

Of the 3 people I know of, only Doc has had relevant “rumors” come to fruition. 

You being one what have you broken?   

Im not being rude here I just haven’t seen it.   But then I only read a  portion of the threads.  

There are some that have connections in the organization right now 

As for me, well, I don't share anything I hear on the main board anymore--I'll send an occasional PM though 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope

Most folks simply have an opinion, and you seem to have an issue with that 

It is exactly the opposite.  The fun of a board is debating opinion.  There are too many here who claim knowledge they have none of, claiming facts that are not facts.  

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'm a huge Watson fan too and loved his performance while at Clemson. After I saw the ESPN pre draft QB segment on him, I was sold even more. However, his story as an NFL player is far from written. There have been many QBs that started hot and cooled off considerably . Saying that fans who wanted Watson out guessed Bills management is far from the truth right now. The 2018 draft hasn't even happened yet. 

If it's not the truth in fact, it is the correct philosophy.

It's not the only reason, but the primary reason for the decades of despair is the lack of good quarterback play.