Nick Foles Could Be in Your Future

Shaw66

46 minutes ago, Putin said:

I guess you didn’t hear the HC when he said 

“ we’re not trying to accumulate talent we’re trying to build a TEAM “ 

Yeah, I heard it, I also disagree with it because it is an over simplification. 

This is elite athletics not the Mighty Ducks. You don't win at the world level if you aren't more (or at least at the same level) physiologically gifted than the guys across from you. Yes there are exceptions and cancers, but there are not too many of those. We can name a bunch, yes, but with 53 guys cycling 32 NFL rosters every year, the percentages are low.  

I am not hating on Beane currently. I will admit, I am not thrilled about the Jets trade. If this hypothetical happens where we trade a bunch of starters and/or quality players, and we are left with trading a first for Foles, McCarron, and Peterman, I am going to be upset. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

my thoughts on this are thus...

Foles will never have a higher trade value for the Eagles than he currently does. addiotionally, if the Eagles do not trade him they will get nothing for him as he is a free agent after his contract expires this year.  the Eagles  also have spoken highly of Sudfield so it might just make sense for them to get something of value for Foles rather than nothing.  i think the Eagles are playing the game, they know that the possibility of a Bradford/Vikings situation might arrise again and they could get their asking price. they could also accept a 3rd for him.

i am not advocating one way or the other for the acquition of Foles, just merely trying to look objectively at the realities of the situation. it will be interesting to watch what happens with Foles, i do think he is with another team opening day. 

Myself personally, Foles has proven himself on the biggest stage possible.

So while I may not agree with OP's flawed evaluation of McCarron I like where he's going with it as Nick Foles and A J McCarron stand on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Just now, Figster said:

Myself personally, Foles has proven himself on the biggest stage possible.

So while I may not agree with OP's flawed evaluation of McCarron I like where he's going with it as Nick Foles and A J McCarron stand on opposite sides of the spectrum.

He played great, but the real question is the sustainability of that level.  If there were no questions regarding this, he'd quite possibly already be dealt for the Eagles asking price.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe you're right. McD has guaranteed money.  

But I just don't think they want him as their starter.  I think he's too flawed.  

Made playoffs with a flawed QB

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He played great, but the real question is the sustainability of that level.  If there were no questions regarding this, he'd quite possibly already be dealt for the Eagles asking price.

The whole team played great behind him,

Hats off to the Eagles...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

And if you trade tons of assets and the player busts?  At least you know Foles can play in the league.  If he proves to be worth 20+ million, so be it.  The rookie will get that after 3 seasons anyway, so you'd only be saving 2 seasons.  And the Bills have the cap room.

People who play not to lose usually lose in the end.

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As the first ten picks unfold, if the Bills don't like what they see left on the board, Beane and the Eagles might agree on price for Foles.  

It might squeeze the Bills on the cap, but maybe that's when they deal Hughes for another pick.  

I doubt the Bills want to go into 2018 with McCarron starting. 

Wentz might be out until October,that's why the phone lines were dead.

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As the first ten picks unfold, if the Bills don't like what they see left on the board, Beane and the Eagles might agree on price for Foles.  

It might squeeze the Bills on the cap, but maybe that's when they deal Hughes for another pick.  

yessssssssssssssss.. would love it.

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I would say the jury is still out regarding if Foles can play in this league consistently.

Hes had 2 good games in 3 years. (very good games)Those 2 games just happened to be the most crucial ones of course lol

ohh,,,and one great entire year....and a decent rookie yr...and 2 yrs w crap teams crap coaches

Foles fit in like a glove after an initial struggle once Wentz went down.

Now, there is nowhere for Foles to go but down since he won the SB.

You NEVER spend a high draft choice on someone else's back up QB. Didn't Rob Johnson teach us anything?

There is no way Foles can improve on what he just accomplished.

Relax people, the Bills will get their guy.

3 hours ago, Looper said:

This ... I think AJ is gonna surprise a few folks.

we are certainly in the minority. But Bills thinks they have something they can work with. for at least one season , perhaps more.

Still should draft one they like. Just be smart about it.

As mentioned. neither of those pan out ? Foles will likely be available later in the season when dust has settled . Or even next year

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well the price would have to go way down. If the Eagles hold fast to their 1st round plus price tag, the Bills would be crazy to spend that on a player in his last contract year. They would want to agree to an extended contract with Foles first. And that can't be done without permission, and all that can't be accomplished on draft day.

So if they trade on draft day they're most likely trading for Foles and his single remaining year. Expecting to extend Foles after trading for him will be expensive and risky. And he may just have his mind made up not to sign an extension with anyone and head into free agency in '19. So a trade for him on short notice had best be for relatively cheap.

Also keep in mind Foles has a $3 million bonus due today which the Eagles are presumably paying. That means trading him later saves them $4 million instead of $7 million. So from the Eagles point of view it's a double edged sword. Do they pay Foles another $4 million and then most likely lose him for nothing (comp pick in 2020 counts I suppose) after the season? Or do they figure at some point Wentz is ready and decide to get something while they can and save $4 million?

Not saying it won't happen but they better not overpay for my two cents.

Edited by Tuco

10 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Well the price would have to go way down. If the Eagles hold fast to their 1st round plus price tag, the Bills would be crazy to spend that on a player in his last contract year. They would want to agree to an extended contract with Foles first. And that can't be done without permission, and all that can't be accomplished on draft day.

So if they trade on draft day they're most likely trading for Foles and his single remaining year. Expecting to extend Foles after trading for him will be expensive and risky. And he may just have his mind made up not to sign an extension with anyone and head into free agency in '19. So a trade for him on short notice had best be for relatively cheap.

Also keep in mind Foles has a $3 million bonus due today which the Eagles are presumably paying. That means trading him later saves them $4 million instead of $7 million. So from the Eagles point of view it's a double edged sword. Do they pay Foles another $4 million and then most likely lose him for nothing (comp pick in 2020 counts I suppose) after the season? Or do they figure at some point Wentz is ready and decide to get something while they can and save $4 million?

Not saying it won't happen but they better not overpay for my two cents.

They don't have to extend his contract immediately and shouldn't.  They should let him play the year out and then decide.

4 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I would call the Birds now and ask them what their plan is if they are 5-0 behind Foles next year when Wentz, who will have missed most of the off-season practices,  is ready to come back.

And let them think about that for a while.

Wouldn't you rather McCarron and Peterman safely guide the Bills to a comfortable 4-12 record with a nice shot at the Top 2019 QB?

14 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

There will be some decent quarterbacks available in the second round: White, Lauletta, and possibly Rudolph.  Moving up is not a given and neither is Philly moving Foles.

Yep, people need to be open to Beane taking one of those QB's in the second round.

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Wouldn't you rather McCarron and Peterman safely guide the Bills to a comfortable 4-12 record with a nice shot at the Top 2019 QB?

I would have rather they did that this year. There is no trophy for making the playoffs. Which we didn't by the way, the wild card isn't the playoffs. That's why they call it the wild card. It is a playoff to get to the playoffs.

As for next year "everybody" says there will be no good prospects.

I dunno I'm really confused about what to do.

I think right now I don't mind the idea of getting Foles by throwing Peterman to the wolves and include him in the deal with our 22 first rounder and a 2nd or 3rd round pick, for their 32 and Foles. Then build the lines and a wideout for Foles. We have almost 2 drafts worth  of picks.Then pick a QB in the 2nd round every year until we get lucky on one of them. Something like that.

18 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I would call the Birds now and ask them what their plan is if they are 5-0 behind Foles next year when Wentz, who will have missed most of the off-season practices,  is ready to come back.

And let them think about that for a while.

He'll be moved at the deadline, when they don't really need him anymore.