Purpose of yesterday's presser was due to us passing on the trade to 3

8 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I hope this isn't the same scouting staff whose reports have influenced many G.M.'s over the years to skip the QB position.

You do know that Beane brought in his own scouting staff correct????

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Maybe the Jets moved up to get Barkley if both the Browns and G Men take QB's?

Maybe they want Chubb? or VV?

Who knows? only they know for sure.

Come on.  They are drafting a QB at 3.  There's no other reason to make that move as much as you might want it to be different. 

I wish they would have been more agressive either at getting a free agent or moving up. If they knew they wanted to move up to three then why not pull the trigger? Taking best player available at 12 does not get this team to the playoffs again. 

48 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Jets panicked and over payed. They’ve got 4 vet QBs u/c and threw the house at Indy to move up. This is called firing a shotgun hoping to hit the target. 

No. The Jets made the move they needed to in order to improve their franchise. The Bills either got nervous or too cocky and failed to move up. They will see the playoffs again before we do. 

9 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

As I stewed in misery and irritation  today, it has now become apparent that yesterday's press conference was Beane knowing he wasn't going to make the trade to 3 with the Colts. It is very apparent now. I tip my hat to the posters yesterday and today who caught on to this. I really don't even believe that we will be trying to trade into the top 5, I am almost certain that we are looking at the next tier of QBs and are mostly done trading.

Don't stew too long. McCarron is going to be the next Joe Montana, surrounded by a boatload of talent we pick in this draft.

I say that almost with confidence. The only off-season move that has me concerned: the Daboll hire.

As I stewed in misery and irritation  today, it has now become apparent that yesterday's press conference was Beane knowing he wasn't going to make the trade to 3 with the Colts. It is very apparent now. I tip my hat to the posters yesterday and today who caught on to this. I really don't even believe that we will be trying to trade into the top 5, I am almost certain that we are looking at the next tier of QBs and are mostly done trading.

That would be retarded and a Bills type of thing to do... wait for the leftovers.

8 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

We just acquired a young pissed off, hungry, ready to make a name for himself, ready to shift his career into the next gear type player. I am pretty confident that A.j. Is going to hit the field and show his ass. I’m ok with skipping over Qb’s in the draft and just adding key pieces instead.

Why such confidence in a player who could not be out Andy Dalton? Bengals saw him every day for past 4 years and could have traded Dalton and resigned him for much less $. Mccaron played in 5 games in 2015 and has not seen much action since. His arm strength is less than ideal and he was playing with a stacked roster that also made Dalton look very good that year. He had an excellent offensive line, healthy Tyler eiffert, at green, Marvin jones, Sanu and hill/Bernard in the backfield. He had an abundance of weapons that he will not have here. If NFL talent evaluators thought Mccaron was so good he would have been offered starter $ from one of 32 teams. Instead, when the music stopped playing, Mccaron was left without a chair to sit in and had to take a backup type deal with the Bills with a chance to compete for a starter position. 

I like the signing of Mccaron as a potential bridge qb but I think it would be foolish to consider him our starter and realistically think of him as a franchise qb. Odds are stacked against that happening. 

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The media and fan base convinced itself we're no doubt going to be able to move into the top 5.

People are obsessed with top 5 QBs and I don't get it. Some of the most successful QBs in the NFL right now were drafted outside the top 5. Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, Cousins, Wilson. Even young but promising guys like Carr, Prescott, Watson. That's like half of the starting-level QBs in the NFL, all drafted outside of the top 10 actually. How about Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles? We gotta move on from this collective obsession with top 5 QBs. They bust far more often than they take their teams to the Super Bowl.

9 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Colts didn’t want to drop to 12.

I don’t know why most people here are losing it. The Bills are stacked with picks. And they might very well get a guy at 12 they wanted anyway. Plus, they can still make a move up.

People are overvaluing the QB’s this year. There are a lot of really good players at other positions.

Wonder if the Steelers freaked out when they picked Roethlesberger at 11 who turned out to he the best of the bunch? Probably not...they actually seem to know football unlike most people on this board who are ready to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel when the Bills dont pull off what they do in their Madden franchises...

I swear Madden has really dumbed down the fan base because people treat it like its realistic while the AI is anything but in terks of roster management and trading and drafting

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Wonder if the Steelers freaked out when they picked Roethlesberger at 11 who turned out to he the best of the bunch? Probably not...they actually seem to know football unlike most people on this board who are ready to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel when the Bills dont pull off what they do in their Madden franchises...

I swear Madden has really dumbed down the fan base because people treat it like its realistic while the AI is anything but in terks of roster management and trading and drafting

What?

You mean I can't trade 2 UDFA CB's and a UDFA WR to the Bucs for Mike Evans in real life ;)

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Honest to God.  Enough already.  The Jets now might get whomever their third choice is.  The Bills can move ahead of them if they decide they have to get a certain guy.  If not they have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the Jets  gave a bunch away for the potential third guy they may want out of a group that does not seem to have a can't miss type player.

No they can't just move up if they wanted to, the Giants have to be a willing trade partner.

It needs to stop being assumed Buffalo can just get infront of the Jets regardless of draft capital.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Probably GM speak...but not a good look to say this, "I’ve met them all, but some of them for 15 minutes and that’s not enough to even draft a guy at 12. I don’t know what we’re doing, we have six weeks to the draft, and over that time I’m going to try to get to know every player, not only the quarterbacks, of who we’re going to consider.” and then the next day your contemporary for a rival team makes a deal.  What?  Do the Bills GM and Scouts not work as fast or are able to figure things out as quickly as the Jets?  Why not?  Obviously I don't believe that to be the case, but you shouldn't say you haven't had enough time and then get one upped.  It makes you look slow at your job.

The differance imo Buffalo knows the cost for 2.  They are narrowing down if they like 1 qb enough to do it.  What if that qb goes 1?  Who is their second choice?  Where do you expect him to go?  Do you need to go to 2?  Could he slide?  Imo the jets made a PR move.  They gave up alot picks for any of three qbs.  One could have been their at 6.  Im not going to say Buffalo should give half there picks unless they are sure hes the guy.  The Jets made an ultra aggressive move to for who?  They dont know wont know until the first 2 picks are made.

38 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

I wish they would have been more agressive either at getting a free agent or moving up. If they knew they wanted to move up to three then why not pull the trigger? Taking best player available at 12 does not get this team to the playoffs again. 

No. The Jets made the move they needed to in order to improve their franchise. The Bills either got nervous or too cocky and failed to move up. They will see the playoffs again before we do. 

Sure because Rosen guarantees that right? I mean look at the playoff QBs this year. All the playoff teams played a guy they drafted top 5 right? 

Well except for..

New England 

oh and Philly

steelers too

oops then there is the Bills 

And the saints

minny too

the chiefs guy was drafted first, by San Fran 

but go ahead and keep clinging to that silver bullet fantasy that 1 out of 22 starters can redefine your franchise as long as you select him with a really high pick obtained at any cost. 

- Worked for the redskins with RG3

- the colts can’t lose a playoff game if the try

- eagles fell apart when their franchise guy went down

- San Francisco’s winning streak at seasons end was all thanks to their top 5 pick 

- Ben, Flacco, brees, Brady, Foles. Rodgers and Wilson need to turn in their rings.  Apparently they were unaware their selection disqualified their respective teams from contention.

- Obviously each of the teams alluded to above would have enjoyed far greater success with Blake bottles or Marcus Mariotta. 

- one more... Mitch T. He had a rookie debut equivalent to EJM 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure if serious. The reason he says this is because he’s lying. Beane is feigning ignorance that he hasn't studied these QBs. He knows exactly who he wants. He's cold and calculated. He spent the last year saying getting a franchise QB is a GMs most important job, now he says he hasn't looked at them yet? Lies. He's getting his guy. 

Has to be this or else it is incompetence, and I don't think it is. He also has a history of saying things like this, like with the Watkins trade only taking the Rams offer and not shopping him. Can't take his words at face value especially before the draft.

Its just a bad look though if they knew the Jets were trading up because then they are incompetent or lying. And if they didn't know the Jets were trading up, then its just bad timing/luck. I think it was the former which I think is bad form. You can throw out smokescreens without making half your fan base think you aren't even thinking about what you should be thinking about (QB).

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

People are obsessed with top 5 QBs and I don't get it. Some of the most successful QBs in the NFL right now were drafted outside the top 5. Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, Cousins, Wilson. Even young but promising guys like Carr, Prescott, Watson. That's like half of the starting-level QBs in the NFL, all drafted outside of the top 10 actually. How about Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles? We gotta move on from this collective obsession with top 5 QBs. They bust far more often than they take their teams to the Super Bowl.

It’s also very difficult to identify that one qb, if there is even one such qb in this year’s draft (as there is not always a franchise qb outside the top 5 in every year). Every team is on the lookout for potential franchise qbs because they are tremendous assets to have even if a team already has one. And there is generally 4-6 late first to mid round picks that have franchise qb qualities. Identifying the one is harder than we think and is probably less than 20% successful. Not great odds but the Bills might very well be tasked with trying to identify that qb this year. 

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This is so true. People are besides themselves wondering why Beane didn't simply offer more than the Jets did. Well the Colts front office isn't a video game calculator. Maybe they just don't want to move out of the top 10. Beane can't change that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Love your confidence, but the more I think about this, I'm not sure we are prepared to pay this cost. In one regard, I want to say we should have taken the 3 and then worked on swapping with the Giants ala Bears and 49ers last year. That would have been an easier move; however with 5 picks in the draft the Giants are most likely looking for that windfall of picks - this very likely could force them to look elsewhere and have someone jump us at 3. The path forward is very very narrow and very costly now and I'm not sure we will be willing to meet the cost. Beane has to go all out for 6 now in order to give the giants a big enough package...

Overall what is a kick in the balls is that we passed on talent last year to take a shot this year and it may not turn out that way. For a team that needs a QB, we could very well have passed on Watson, Mahomes, Darnold, Allen, Rosen & Mayfield and end up with the second tier this year. Not really encouraging at all...

Look, Watson wad not a sure fire prospect last year....not like we had a top 5 pick and passed.

Bottom line, we're now back at a similar position (pick 12 vs pick 10), and there is bound to be a "Watson" type sitting at 12 again this year. 

Everyone needs to calm down and let this thing play out.

The PR dept was savvy enough to realise they had to talk the fan base off the ledge. Couldn’t have all those self-offings on their conscience....  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 minute ago, dabills21 said:

Look, Watson wad not a sure fire prospect last year....not like we had a top 5 pick and passed.

Bottom line, we're now back at a similar position (pick 12 vs pick 10), and there is bound to be a "Watson" type sitting at 12 again this year. 

Everyone needs to calm down and let this thing play out.

Watson still isn't a surefire QB. QB's come and go and  half a year isn't enough to define him.