Purpose of yesterday's presser was due to us passing on the trade to 3

23 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I hope this isn't the same scouting staff whose reports have influenced many G.M.'s over the years to skip the QB position.

Right.

Because these 4 QBS are the be all end all.

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Or it makes the Jets look reckless.

They havent even had a chance to bring any of these QBs in for a visit, sit with them extensively and work them out privately. They've met them for 15 mins each at the combine. 

They are said to be comfortable with any of the top 4 QBs in this draft (and clearly any of the top 3 since they traded to 3 and may only get the 3rd QB off the board).

That sounds like a team willing to randomly throw a dart at one of the QBs this year and hope it sticks. 

Give me me a calculating GM who thoroughly vets all his possible QB prospects before trading away the farm for the most important position on the field and a guy you want to be the face of your franchise for the next decade plus. 

Teriffic post

• Like (+1) 2

Slightly different spin on this...  

Pure speculation, but Brandon knew the Jets/Colts trade was coming down yesterday when he was on the dais because he turned down the Colts when they gave him a chance to better the Jets deal.  He preached patience yesterday because he is not ready to move. 

He has talked with Gettleman (they likely talk quite often) and there is a structure of a deal in place, but Brandon has more work to do if he wants to pursue the deal.  He needs to get into the top 7 and then call Gettleman with the offer.

The trade part actually will happen quickly - either a trade with the Colts at 6 or the Bucs at 7 then a trade with the Giants to get to 2.

However, between now and the draft -- they are really going to put one final look at the potential and the flaws of the draft QBs..they are:

Going to look at Darnold's turnovers and admire his size, pocket awareness, and accuracy

Going to look at Rosen's concussions, his intellectual arrogance and his football intellect, pocket awareness and beautiful deep ball

Going to look at Mayfield's lack of height, brashness and competitive moxie as well as admire his accuracy

Going to look at Allen's inaccuracy and lack of pocket presence but his toughness, size and arm strength as well

They are going to determine, through film and face to face visits, which if any of these four can lead the Bills for the next decade.  If in their assessment, there is a Buffalo Bills franchise QB in this group and he is there at #2, I am confident they will make the move to #2 and get him.  They will fill holes after the draft with UFAs or recently cut Street Free Agents.

If the QB to their liking is not at #2, they will build one hell of !@#$ing defense and bolster the O-line and WR corps in this draft; draft a second tier QB that can compete for the starter role because they have the draft assets to do all this..and this is a deep draft all over....

This is a different leadership team...they are patient, they are smart, they are not reactive...I still billieve we are in great hands...

BTW, The Jets have a culture of doing things to gain attention in the largest media market -- this is a great move to get the fans excited and they will undoubtedly tag the new QB as the savior of the City, Franchise, world, universe, etc.  The next Joe Willie, etc.  The next Eli.....Its the Jets remember--- its the Jets -- second fiddle in their own city....yeah, those guys. 

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

39 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Which means the scouting staff didn't see enough talent in the top three QB's to justify a over payment.

I hope this is the case. I do like Rosen, Darnold & Mayfield; the only one I would sell the farm for would be Rosen...

Keeping Whaley through last year's draft may have been a terrible idea in hindsight, as that cost us Watson or Mahomes. This move pushed us into going for the QB this year and I just do not see us trading to take the top guy...

Edited by Reed83HOF

10 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

To me that sounds like putting their job of draft evaluation on a very high pedestal.  If your 24/7 job is to do this, and you have been evaluating these guys since the last draft ended.  If you don't have a strong feeling by now...it ain't happening.

But it sounds like they already had their mind made up a year ago that they would do whatever it took to get 1 of the top 4 QBs this year. 

I dont see how they could have properly vetted all those QBs a year before their draft, and before they even played in their draft seasons. (As just 1 example - Remember when Matt Barkley was thought to be a sure fire #1 overall pick before he played his draft season...?).

I get what you're saying about "if you don't have a strong feeling by now, it ain't happening" though. Just because Beane hasn't let his desire on a QB slip to the media doesn't mean he isn't all in on trying to get one of these QBs.

It very well could just be that he wasn't comfortable with just getting one of the top 3 QB's in this draft, and if he's going to trade up he has to make sure the 1 QB he wants is still there (aka trade up to pick 2 once he's comfortable that the Browns are going with their guy (like the Eagles did once they knew the Rams were taking Goff) or wait and see if his QB falls past pick 3 before making a trade up). 

30 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

We just acquired a young pissed off, hungry, ready to make a name for himself, ready to shift his career into the next gear type player. I am pretty confident that A.j. Is going to hit the field and show his ass. I’m ok with skipping over Qb’s in the draft and just adding key pieces instead.

McCarron is going to hit the field and moon the fans? Helluva way to make an entrance. Shows a rare swagger indeed.

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Slightly different spin on this...  

Pure speculation, but Brandon knew the Jets/Colts was coming down yesterday when he was on the dais because he turned down the Colts when they gave him a chance to better the Jets deal.  He preached patience yesterday because he is not ready to move. 

He has talked with Gettleman (they likely talk quite often) and there is a structure of a deal in place, but Brandon has more work to do if he wants to pursue the deal.  He needs to get into the top 7 and then call Gettleman with the offer.

The trade part actually will happen quickly - either a trade with the Colts at 6 or the Bucs at 7 then a trade with the Giants to get to 2.

However, between now and the draft -- they are really going to put one final look at the potential and the flaws of the draft QBs..they are:

Going to look at Darnold's turnovers and admire his size, pocket awareness, and accuracy

Going to look at Rosen's concussions, his intellectual arrogance and his football intellect, pocket awareness and beautiful deep ball

Going to look at Mayfield's lack of height, brashness and competitive moxie as well as admire his accuracy and his competitiveness

Going to look at Allen's inaccuracy and lack of pocket presence but his toughness, size and arm strength as well

They are going to determine which if any of these four can lead the Bills for the next decade.  If, in their assessment, their is a Buffalo Bills franchise QB in this group and he is there at #2, I am confident they will make the move to #2 and get him.  They will fill holes after the draft with UFAs or recently cut Street Free Agents.

If the QB to their liking is not at #2, they will build one hell of !@#$ing defense and bolster the O-line and WR corps in this draft; draft a second tier QB that can compete for the starter role because they have the draft assets to do all this..and this is a deep draft all over....

Love your confidence, but the more I think about this, I'm not sure we are prepared to pay this cost. In one regard, I want to say we should have taken the 3 and then worked on swapping with the Giants ala Bears and 49ers last year. That would have been an easier move; however with 5 picks in the draft the Giants are most likely looking for that windfall of picks - this very likely could force them to look elsewhere and have someone jump us at 3. The path forward is very very narrow and very costly now and I'm not sure we will be willing to meet the cost. Beane has to go all out for 6 now in order to give the giants a big enough package...

Overall what is a kick in the balls is that we passed on talent last year to take a shot this year and it may not turn out that way. For a team that needs a QB, we could very well have passed on Watson, Mahomes, Darnold, Allen, Rosen & Mayfield and end up with the second tier this year. Not really encouraging at all...

1 hour ago, kota said:

Who knows AJ or Nate could be the real deal.  I would be fine with going with either one as the starter this year.  

AJ looks legit.  Go see his highlights.

I got some Matt Cassel "Highlights" you can look at too.....he looks GREAT in his "highlights"  ....and he's on the open market!  If you just look at his "highlights" you'll wonder how this guy was ever allowed to escape New England!

53 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

We just acquired a young pissed off, hungry, ready to make a name for himself, ready to shift his career into the next gear type player. I am pretty confident that A.j. Is going to hit the field and show his ass. I’m ok with skipping over Qb’s in the draft and just adding key pieces instead.

A.J. = every midling NFL QB that ever graced the roster of an NFL team that missed or didn't try to draft a franchise QB.  

Edited by Zerovotlz
grammar

29 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I hope this is the case. I do like Rosen, Darnold & Mayfield; the only one I would sell the farm for would be Rosen...

Keeping Whaley through last year's draft may have been a terrible idea in hindsight, as that cost us Watson or Mahomes. This move pushed us into going for the QB this year and I just do not see us trading to take the top guy...

Not true... it’s been reported that Whaley loved Mitch Trubisky

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Would you trade the 12th Pick, Tredaveon White and a 3rd for Mahomes or Watson?  .....Of course you would.  

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

Would you trade the 12th Pick, Tredaveon White and a 3rd for Mahomes or Watson?  .....Of course you would.  

Goodbye Tre! Hell I would include him in a move to #2. Can always find a CB in FA, especially with $100 million in space next year. Hell they can have Hughes and Shady too...I was furious last year we stuck with TT and now we finally dump him and we are stuck in no mans land. So Billsy...

29 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

A.J. = every midling NFL QB that ever graced the roster of an NFL team that missed or didn't try to draft a franchise QB.  

Exactly. I'm keeping an open to a possibility of him really making a name for himself as a Bill, but man until he does this is my expectation of him. To be average. I'm surprised people are propping him up so hard. I hope they are right.

I did the hope on Tyrod thing for a few years. I got no energy left for hoping on backup QBs. I'm gonna let this guy's first 5 games make up my mind. The last thing I want is this guy making me miss Tyrod.

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Goodbye Tre! Hell I would include him in a move to #2. Can always find a CB in FA, especially with $100 million in space next year. Hell they can have Hughes and Shady too...I was furious last year we stuck with TT and now we finally dump him and we are stuck in no mans land. So Billsy...

Trade em all - for that one GUARANTEED HOF QB!  It’s simple!

and “no mans land”?  At least let it play out brother!!

42 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Trade em all - for that one GUARANTEED HOF QB!  It’s simple!

and “no mans land”?  At least let it play out brother!!

BBBFS...BBBFS

image.png.4d3fbaa2ae4261913d49f419059bf85e.png

Edited by Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Or it makes the Jets look reckless.

They havent even had a chance to bring any of these QBs in for a visit, sit with them extensively and work them out privately. They've met them for 15 mins each at the combine. 

They are said to be comfortable with any of the top 4 QBs in this draft (and clearly any of the top 3 since they traded to 3 and may only get the 3rd QB off the board).

That sounds like a team willing to randomly throw a dart at one of the QBs this year and hope it sticks. 

Give me me a calculating GM who thoroughly vets all his possible QB prospects before trading away the farm for the most important position on the field and a guy you want to be the face of your franchise for the next decade plus. 

Hope the entire site reads this. Good work. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

As I stewed in misery and irritation  today, it has now become apparent that yesterday's press conference was Beane knowing he wasn't going to make the trade to 3 with the Colts. It is very apparent now. I tip my hat to the posters yesterday and today who caught on to this.

I was one of them:

Big Blitz     23

“I know everybody assumes we’re going higher, but I don’t know that,” he said. “But there are some players at 12 that I know would not have fallen to 21, so I’m excited about that. We’re in the range for some of these guys and that’s not necessarily quarterback.”

That right there seems to me to be the reason for this press conference.  He had to temper expectations JUST in case he can't trade up.  I'm beginning to worry we won't be able to land Mayfield or Rosen or Darnold.  The only 3 I'm excited about.  

Plus this is a regime that passed on Watson so I don't know what to think anyway.  Just that this QB chase has to end.  

Edited by Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I was one of them:

Big Blitz     23

“I know everybody assumes we’re going higher, but I don’t know that,” he said. “But there are some players at 12 that I know would not have fallen to 21, so I’m excited about that. We’re in the range for some of these guys and that’s not necessarily quarterback.”

That right there seems to me to be the reason for this press conference.  He had to temper expectations JUST in case he can't trade up.  I'm beginning to worry we won't be able to land Mayfield or Rosen or Darnold.  The only 3 I'm excited about.  

Plus this is a regime that passed on Watson so I don't know what to think anyway.  Just that this QB chase has to end.  

LAMP - Do you feel better now?

Sigh

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

LAMP - Do you feel better now?

Sigh

Lol...

I just find it incredible that so few people caught on to this.  And I guarantee he knew the Jets had probably already contacted the Colts and a deal was going down.

And he also said he had no intention of moving up or down in the draft days before trading Cordy Glenn and moving up.

“I like the depth of the draft, especially early on in those rounds," he told the Bills' official radio program last week. "I'm excited to have five picks [in the first three rounds]. So I'm not going in, right now as I sit here, saying we got to move up or we got to move back.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31327/bills-still-in-quarterback-purgatory-could-punt-big-changes-to-2019

You’re reading into this too much.

Edited by Wayne Cubed