Purpose of yesterday's presser was due to us passing on the trade to 3

As I stewed in misery and irritation  today, it has now become apparent that yesterday's press conference was Beane knowing he wasn't going to make the trade to 3 with the Colts. It is very apparent now. I tip my hat to the posters yesterday and today who caught on to this. I really don't even believe that we will be trying to trade into the top 5, I am almost certain that we are looking at the next tier of QBs and are mostly done trading.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Probably GM speak...but not a good look to say this, "I’ve met them all, but some of them for 15 minutes and that’s not enough to even draft a guy at 12. I don’t know what we’re doing, we have six weeks to the draft, and over that time I’m going to try to get to know every player, not only the quarterbacks, of who we’re going to consider.” and then the next day your contemporary for a rival team makes a deal.  What?  Do the Bills GM and Scouts not work as fast or are able to figure things out as quickly as the Jets?  Why not?  Obviously I don't believe that to be the case, but you shouldn't say you haven't had enough time and then get one upped.  It makes you look slow at your job.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

As I stewed in misery and irritation  today, it has now become apparent that yesterday's press conference was Beane knowing he wasn't going to make the trade to 3 with the Colts. It is very apparent now. I tip my hat to the posters yesterday and today who caught on to this. I really don't even believe that we will be trying to trade into the top 5, I am almost certain that we are looking at the next tier of QBs and are mostly done trading.

Cool brother...we are going to add beaucoup talent with our draft picks..look forward to that.peace

Honest to God.  Enough already.  The Jets now might get whomever their third choice is.  The Bills can move ahead of them if they decide they have to get a certain guy.  If not they have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the Jets  gave a bunch away for the potential third guy they may want out of a group that does not seem to have a can't miss type player.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Probably GM speak...but not a good look to say this, "I’ve met them all, but some of them for 15 minutes and that’s not enough to even draft a guy at 12. I don’t know what we’re doing, we have six weeks to the draft, and over that time I’m going to try to get to know every player, not only the quarterbacks, of who we’re going to consider.” and then the next day your contemporary for a rival team makes a deal.  What?  Do the Bills GM and Scouts not work as fast or are able to figure things out as quickly as the Jets?  Why not?  Obviously I don't believe that to be the case, but you shouldn't say you haven't had enough time and then get one upped.  It makes you look slow at your job.

Which means the scouting staff didn't see enough talent in the top three QB's to justify a over payment.

• Like (+1) 5

Colts didn’t want to drop to 12.

I don’t know why most people here are losing it. The Bills are stacked with picks. And they might very well get a guy at 12 they wanted anyway. Plus, they can still make a move up.

People are overvaluing the QB’s this year. There are a lot of really good players at other positions.

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Honest to God.  Enough already.  The Jets now might get whomever their third choice is.  The Bills can move ahead of them if they decide they have to get a certain guy.  If not they have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the Jets  gave a bunch away for the potential third guy they may want out of a group that does not seem to have a can't miss type player.

I might have to make this my signature until the draft.

Spot on. ?????

6 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

That "contemporary for a rival team" gave up an arm and a leg to move up 3 spots. It is quite possible that the Colts were not willing to trade  back as far as 12, no matter what the Bills offered.

BTW, the Jets were always in a position to pick ahead of the Bills, so at least this trade to 3 was not by another team that was not originally in the position to draft ahead of Buffalo. The scenario before today -- hoping that the desired QB gets past the Jets -- remains. It just now means that the Bills have a more narrow path to get that done. And if picks 1 and 2 are not up for sale at any price, it is hard to criticize the Bills for not making a move to get ahead of them. For all we know the Jets and Bills may have entirely difference QBs in their sites. 

• Like (+1) 1

We just acquired a young pissed off, hungry, ready to make a name for himself, ready to shift his career into the next gear type player. I am pretty confident that A.j. Is going to hit the field and show his ass. I’m ok with skipping over Qb’s in the draft and just adding key pieces instead.

• Like (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Or it makes the Jets look reckless.

They havent even had a chance to bring any of these QBs in for a visit, sit with them extensively and work them out privately. They've met them for 15 mins each at the combine. 

They are said to be comfortable with any of the top 4 QBs in this draft (and clearly any of the top 3 since they traded to 3 and may only get the 3rd QB off the board).

That sounds like a team willing to randomly throw a dart at one of the QBs this year and hope it sticks. 

Give me me a calculating GM who thoroughly vets all his possible QB prospects before trading away the farm for the most important position on the field and a guy you want to be the face of your franchise for the next decade plus. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

At this point I just hope the Jets draft a bust. Whether it is Allen not being able to see the game or Rosen having durability issues. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

They havent even had a chance to bring any of these QBs in for a visit, sit with them extensively and work them out privately. They've met them for 15 mins each at the combine. 

They are said to be comfortable with any of the top 4 QBs in this draft (and clearly any of the top 3 since they traded to 3 and may only get the 3rd QB off the board).

That sounds like a team willing to randomly throw a dart at one of the QBs this year and hope it sticks. 

Give me me a calculating GM who thoroughly vets all his possible QB prospects before trading away the farm for the most important position on the field and a guy you want to be the face of your franchise for the next decade plus. 

That a sign of a poor drafting franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I have been helping a buddy out cooking at his Irish pub all day today for St. Patty's and have only just read the first two posts of this thread, all I have to say is Beane is a great GM and those who don't see it already, will within the next couple of years.

18 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I hope this isn't the same scouting staff whose reports have influenced many G.M.'s over the years to skip the QB position.

Since they replaced the entire scouting staff last year, my guess would be it isn't...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

To me that sounds like putting their job of draft evaluation on a very high pedestal.  If your 24/7 job is to do this, and you have been evaluating these guys since the last draft ended.  If you don't have a strong feeling by now...it ain't happening.

16 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I hope this isn't the same scouting staff whose reports have influenced many G.M.'s over the years to skip the QB position.

We fired the entire scouting dept the day after the 2017 draft. We may skip on a QB but it’s not the same ole same ole.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yep....and Bills win again. Every move Beane has made has been a winner, good poker face too. I truly believe if a deal works for Beane he will make sure its a win for the Bills, he will pull the trigger. If not we got all them picks. This guy so far reminds me of a bank.....doesnt matter what transaction you do, the bank wins.