Purpose of yesterday's presser was due to us passing on the trade to 3

In all the deals that Beane has made so far for the free agents and the trade of Glenn to the Bengals they have all been well thought out and not panic moves. I'm sure Beane is not surprised that there was going to be jockeying for positions in the qb market. Is the Jet move going to set us back? Not necessarily because no team enters the draft with a draft strategy that doesn't have multiple options. A lot of the conventional thinking is that the top tier qbs are all going to be gone by the first half dozen picks. I'm not sure that it is going to be the case. My guess is that the Bills will still move up the board. If the Giants or Denver don't decide to use their first pick for a qb then trade partners are still in play. Who knows if the Colts could make another trade down with us and accumulate even more picks? Who knows if one of our preferred qbs will still be on the board even if we stay pat? That would be the best scenario if it played out that way. My point is that I'm confident that Beane and his staff will respond smartly to however the draft unfolds. 

11 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I hope this is the case. I do like Rosen, Darnold & Mayfield; the only one I would sell the farm for would be Rosen...

Keeping Whaley through last year's draft may have been a terrible idea in hindsight, as that cost us Watson or Mahomes. This move pushed us into going for the QB this year and I just do not see us trading to take the top guy...

I disagree.  I don’t think we will ever know why we didn’t pick a QB last year.  But, at this time, this is my opinion...

- almost fact, McD ran the draft with Whaley and teams scouting along with McD’s scouting and involvement

- fact, before draft day McD knew Whaley was not going to be his GM moving forward 

- fact, we didn’t want a QB last year, as we traded out with all QBs available 

- IMO one or two things or a combo of two things happened

—> McD didn’t want to pick a QB last year without his scouting team having the full year of the evaluation process

—> McD didn’t want to pick a QB until he had his GM in place.  So he and his new GM could agree on the QB they were going to hitch to their wagon to

Edited by Manther

12 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Probably GM speak...but not a good look to say this, "I’ve met them all, but some of them for 15 minutes and that’s not enough to even draft a guy at 12. I don’t know what we’re doing, we have six weeks to the draft, and over that time I’m going to try to get to know every player, not only the quarterbacks, of who we’re going to consider.” and then the next day your contemporary for a rival team makes a deal.  What?  Do the Bills GM and Scouts not work as fast or are able to figure things out as quickly as the Jets?  Why not?  Obviously I don't believe that to be the case, but you shouldn't say you haven't had enough time and then get one upped.  It makes you look slow at your job.

How is the Jets making the trade to 3 considered a "one up" on us? We don't know who they will draft and we don't know if the player they draft will even succeed.

They basically have 1 pick in the entire draft that's worth anything and if that draft pick doesn't pan out, this will be a bust draft as a whole.

1 hour ago, MDFan said:

In case you did not notice, the entire staff was canned when Whaley was.  There might be a few poisitions that were rehired, but the entire management structure is new and they have brought in their own people.  There no predictor from past behavior that can be assumed in the current organization.

I obviously forgot.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Something something 14 years ago. Everything is the same now as it was then so better get one of the TBD top 3.

The Bills don’t pay TBDScouting the big bucks for no reason - TBD Top Three or just plow the stadium and move the team to Saskatchewan!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Manther said:

I disagree.  I don’t think we will ever know why we didn’t pick a QB last year.  But, at this time, this is my opinion...

- almost fact, McD ran the draft with Whaley and teams scouting along with McD’s scouting and involvement

- fact, before draft day McD knew Whaley was not going to be his GM moving forward 

- fact, we didn’t want a QB last year, as we traded out with all QBs available 

- IMO one or two things or a combo of two things happened

—> McD didn’t want to pick a QB last year without his scouting team having the full year of the evaluation process

—> McD didn’t want to pick a QB until he had his GM in place.  So he and his new GM could agree on the QB they were going to hitch to their wagon to

I can't find it now, but I did read an article (think it was a transcript from a convo on WGR actually) where it was basically stated that we were in on Trubisky, but as the draft fell McD decided that he wanted to kick the QB can down the road because he felt he could win with TT and didn't have a a good enough level of trust of our soon to be let go staff to take a shot. McD felt it was best to trade back, take the pic and kick the can to this year. Terry P signed off on it...Whaley was pushing hard for Mahomes the whole time and we had Trubisky high on our board...

I will look to see if I can find it. It was from a reliable name as well....