Purpose of yesterday's presser was due to us passing on the trade to 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure if serious. The reason he says this is because he’s lying. Beane is feigning ignorance that he hasn't studied these QBs. He knows exactly who he wants. He's cold and calculated. He spent the last year saying getting a franchise QB is a GMs most important job, now he says he hasn't looked at them yet? Lies. He's getting his guy. 

Not unless someone is willing to trade with him. Beane could want his and have the best offer in the works, takes the other team saying yes to the deal.

Just now, davspo said:

Stop all the crying-. Everybody assumes the 3rd pick is going to be the next Manning.  Let it play itself out.  I am glad he is not chasing and overpaying.  Trust the process

"don't overpay". I don't understand these two words. If they see a QB there that they want, they need to pay what they need to get him. 

Sorry but I won't care about these picks 3 years from now when we are still looking for a QB.

It is sad to see so many fans and media over-react to the Jets trade. First, let’s not kid ourselves — EVERY Pick in the draft is FOR SALE including the #1 overall. If Beane thinks Darnold is his guy, he can make it happen (won’t be cheap) but it’s not impossible. If he has a conviction on one of the other three, moving to #2 is also possible. I think his staff is re-evaluating the cost-benefit of giving up a lot for one of the qb’s vs improving multiple areas of the team. This process will likely last through the draft. Because he didn’t feel the inclination to mortgage the farm 6 weeks before the draft and give fodder to the talking heads for their mindless fantasy shows doesn’t concern me — and it shouldn’t concern you. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billspro said:

I still think Mike White will be a Matt Schaub type player with less turnovers. He could be a franchise guy. 

White, Rudolph, Lauletta and I read at least one scouting service that said Chase Liston would be a 1st round pick if he were in next year’s draft.

Now that we have McCarron, I'm ok with a '2nd tier' QB and using our picks on other needs.

At the same time, I wouldn't be opposed to Beane hedging his bet and trading our #65 to a likely playoff team for their 1st rounder next year.

Build some capital for 2019.

47 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Wonder if the Steelers freaked out when they picked Roethlesberger at 11 who turned out to he the best of the bunch? Probably not...they actually seem to know football unlike most people on this board who are ready to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel when the Bills dont pull off what they do in their Madden franchises...

I swear Madden has really dumbed down the fan base because people treat it like its realistic while the AI is anything but in terks of roster management and trading and drafting

We also have to remember that every draft year is different. Having a franchise Qb has become so important in a passing league and teams have become rightfully obsessed with finding one. The current CBA also allows for teams to take more swings on qbs at the top of the draft because the salaries are much more affordable now. Simply put there is not as much risk at this time as teams are not tied to the player if he does not work out. Plus, there happens to be more teams desperate for a qb this year than there was in 2004 and 2005. The laws of supply and demand apply as the #2 qb would never fall into the 20’s as Aaron Rodgers did in 2005. 

We have to look at the 2018 draft. We know the Browns are almost a lock to take a qb at 1 or 4. There is a high probability the Giants take one. Jets are 100% taking one. Denver has a 50/50 chance if the right player falls. Plus, we have other teams like Miami just ahead of us and Arizona who may trade up because they have expressed heavy interest in this year’s quarterbacks. There are others like Baltimore or SD who could surprise some and move up or stay put and take one. 

Simply put, the top 3 (Rosen, Darnold and mayfield) will go top 5 and most likely top 3. That’s the reality in 2018. Big Ben would have gone in top 5 in 2018 draft and thinking that Rosen or Mayfield will fall to 12 is extremely unlikely. Opinions vary on Allen but a team is likely to fall in love with him and move into the top 10. It seems unlikely that he would make it to 12. If we want to use 2004 as an example, all this would leave the Bills with finding Matt Shaub who was a solid qb for a few years in the shanahan system. There are a bunch of interesting prospects but they all definitely have more warts than the top 4 (especially top 3). Bills are likely now tasked with finding that qb that slips in the draft and hoping he works out. 

Edited by racketmaster

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure if serious. The reason he says this is because he’s lying. Beane is feigning ignorance that he hasn't studied these QBs. He knows exactly who he wants. He's cold and calculated. He spent the last year saying getting a franchise QB is a GMs most important job, now he says he hasn't looked at them yet? Lies. He's getting his guy. 

Maybe its my BBBFS, but I am sure we will get "his guy", just as we do every year with the typical GM/coach speak. After yesterday's trade from 6 to 3, the cost of moving to 2, is basically being us needing to move higher; most likely at the 6/7 spot while preserving our 2 firsts and seconds in the process - this will cost us picks next year as well (we also don't have many more players to us ala Cordy to try and move up). I just don't see Beane and the Bills giving up that much draft capital so I do believe Beane in the fact that we are at 12 and that is it...I think as a fan base, we better really start putting our minds and looking at who can make it from this second tier...

I hope I am wrong, but I actually think he may have been being pretty honest yesterday...

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane was in the mix, but the Colts decided they didn't want to move out of the top ten as indicated by their GM Chris Ballard. 

That's the coach/GM speak because he also said his phone is still open to moving from down 6, at that point he could have just said TB, Chi or SF give me a call, every one else can go f- themselves. The difference between 10 and 12 is only 2 spots, but he will want an over payment like the Jets. It's not the cost to move from 12 to 2 that's prohibitive, it is the cost from 12 up to 6/7 plus the move to 2.

In order to move to 3, Beane would have had to give both 1s and a 2+; I am sure the Colts would rather have have firsts than seconds- they need players. From there he would still have to move to 2, but I am not sure NYG wants 3 after 2 QBs go, they could lose out on a windfall of picks. I think Beane knew that and is now stuck...

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

That's the coach/GM speak because he also said his phone is still open to moving from down 6, at that point he could have just said TB, Chi or SF give me a call, every one else can go f- themselves. The difference between 10 and 12 is only 2 spots, but he will want an over payment like the Jets. It's not the cost to move from 12 to 2 that's prohibitive, it is the cost from 12 up to 6/7 plus the move to 2.

In order to move to 3, Beane would have had to give both 1s and a 2+; I am sure the Colts would rather have have firsts than seconds- they need players. From there he would still have to move to 2, but I am not sure NYG wants 3 after 2 QBs go, they could lose out on a windfall of picks. I think Beane knew that and is now stuck...

They might move down again. We'll see.

44 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

We also have to remember that every draft year is different. Having a franchise Qb has become so important in a passing league and teams have become rightfully obsessed with finding one. The current CBA also allows for teams to take more swings on qbs at the top of the draft because the salaries are much more affordable now. Simply put there is not as much risk at this time as teams are not tied to the player if he does not work out. Plus, there happens to be more teams desperate for a qb this year than there was in 2004 and 2005. The laws of supply and demand apply as the #2 qb would never fall into the 20’s as Aaron Rodgers did in 2005. 

We have to look at the 2018 draft. We know the Browns are almost a lock to take a qb at 1 or 4. There is a high probability the Giants take one. Jets are 100% taking one. Denver has a 50/50 chance if the right player falls. Plus, we have other teams like Miami just ahead of us and Arizona who may trade up because they have expressed heavy interest in this year’s quarterbacks. There are others like Baltimore or SD who could surprise some and move up or stay put and take one. 

Simply put, the top 3 (Rosen, Darnold and mayfield) will go top 5 and most likely top 3. That’s the reality in 2018. Big Ben would have gone in top 5 in 2018 draft and thinking that Rosen or Mayfield will fall to 12 is extremely unlikely. Opinions vary on Allen but a team is likely to fall in love with him and move into the top 10. It seems unlikely that he would make it to 12. If we want to use 2004 as an example, all this would leave the Bills with finding Matt Shaub who was a solid qb for a few years in the shanahan system. There are a bunch of interesting prospects but they all definitely have more warts than the top 4 (especially top 3). Bills are likely now tasked with finding that qb that slips in the draft and hoping he works out. 

Giants by all reports are NOT taking one.

People seem to forget there are potential generational players at other positions on the board that will be there becaus of teams fascination with drafting crap shoots at QB.  If we are being realistic and you rank players in terms of talent I'm not sure any of the QB's even gets in the top 25. I find it hard to believe the Giants will pass on a player like Saquon Barkley to draft a crap shoot at QB.  2 QB's will go in the top 10 and people will be freaking aout about why is this guy falling so far?  In truth he won't be falling, they just recognize there are other players way better than him on the board.

Edited by matter2003

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They might move down again. We'll see.

He also said:

We feel really good about our options at six at this time,” Ballard said. “We’re still open, you know, we’ll still be open if the right opportunity presents itself at six to move down. But right now, we feel pretty good. It would have to be a pretty attractive offer for us to move away from six because of the player we think we’re gonna get.”

I also know they are targeting Chubb...

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Giants by all reports are NOT taking one.

People seem to forget there are potential generational players at other positions on the board that will be there becaus of teams fascination with drafting crap shoots at QB.  If we are being realistic and you rank players in terms of talent I'm not sure any of the QB's even gets in the top 25. I find it hard to believe the Giants will pass on a player like Saquon Barkley to draft a crap shoot at QB., and from all reports they won't.

I'll eat my hat if they take a QB. They have 5 picks and by all looks of their FA, they are building around Eli right now...

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

He also said:

We feel really good about our options at six at this time,” Ballard said. “We’re still open, you know, we’ll still be open if the right opportunity presents itself at six to move down. But right now, we feel pretty good. It would have to be a pretty attractive offer for us to move away from six because of the player we think we’re gonna get.”

I also know they are targeting Chubb...

If they move out of six, I see it being on draft day.

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Why such confidence in a player who could not be out Andy Dalton? Bengals saw him every day for past 4 years and could have traded Dalton and resigned him for much less $. Mccaron played in 5 games in 2015 and has not seen much action since. His arm strength is less than ideal and he was playing with a stacked roster that also made Dalton look very good that year. He had an excellent offensive line, healthy Tyler eiffert, at green, Marvin jones, Sanu and hill/Bernard in the backfield. He had an abundance of weapons that he will not have here. If NFL talent evaluators thought Mccaron was so good he would have been offered starter $ from one of 32 teams. Instead, when the music stopped playing, Mccaron was left without a chair to sit in and had to take a backup type deal with the Bills with a chance to compete for a starter position. 

I like the signing of Mccaron as a potential bridge qb but I think it would be foolish to consider him our starter and realistically think of him as a franchise qb. Odds are stacked against that happening. 

It’s my opinion, you are welcome to your own opinion as well. Marvin Lewis is a old school kind of coach who sticks to his guns and maybe didn’t want to deal with a Qb controversy considering at the time his job was on the line. What makes you think a top 3 Qb will come in here and play better? McCarron is hungry to make a name for himself after riding the pine for 4 years being the back up to a Qb that he’s probably talent wise superior to. Sure, I want a top 5 Qb also, but if that’s not feasible I’ll take a Qb who has a chip on his shoulder that’s going to put his all on the field. With a OC who came from the same school and system, and is a proven winner in college. Keep the picks and surround the kid with talent and big bodies in the trenches. He can’t be worse than Tyrod, can he?

2 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

It’s my opinion, you are welcome to your own opinion as well. Marvin Lewis is a old school kind of coach who sticks to his guns and maybe didn’t want to deal with a Qb controversy considering at the time his job was on the line. What makes you think a top 3 Qb will come in here and play better? McCarron is hungry to make a name for himself after riding the pine for 4 years being the back up to a Qb that he’s probably talent wise superior to. Sure, I want a top 5 Qb also, but if that’s not feasible I’ll take a Qb who has a chip on his shoulder that’s going to put his all on the field. With a OC who came from the same school and system, and is a proven winner in college. Keep the picks and surround the kid with talent and big bodies in the trenches. He can’t be worse than Tyrod, can he?

Yes, he could be worse than Tyrod. We saw that argument last year with Peterman starting in SD game. I don’t care too much about players having a chip on their shoulder, but much prefer having the necessary skills and talent to be an elite qb. I just see a very ordinary qb in Mccaron so we will agree to disagree. 

11 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I hope this isn't the same scouting staff whose reports have influenced many G.M.'s over the years to skip the QB position.

In case you did not notice, the entire staff was canned when Whaley was.  There might be a few poisitions that were rehired, but the entire management structure is new and they have brought in their own people.  There no predictor from past behavior that can be assumed in the current organization.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We may get a ton of great players but there is no such thing as overvaluing QB. We have floundered all these years because we don't have an elite QB.

This!!

Why are people not considering Mason Rudolph in the discussion.

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Honest to God.  Enough already.  The Jets now might get whomever their third choice is.  The Bills can move ahead of them if they decide they have to get a certain guy.  If not they have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the Jets  gave a bunch away for the potential third guy they may want out of a group that does not seem to have a can't miss type player.

This is the right attitude. We still have the option for 2 but if it's too expensive we stay put and start picking quality players to fill holes. Who knows, maybe Jackson or Rudolph fall? It's not the end of the world.