Greg Gabriel Scouting Report:. Mayfield & Rudolph

PIZ

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

Darnold or Rosen or don't do QB, it's that simple...  I don't want to hear about the other dudes.

That does not make sense. There are going to be 2 starter/franchise guys not named Darnold or Rosen in this draft. I don't know who they will be but this is the deepest QB class I have ever seen. I would not be surprised to see at least 8 QBs gone at the end of day 2. 

I really like Darnold and Rosen as prospects, but they both have some red flags. It is possible that one of the other QBs becomes the best guy in this class. We need to invest another pick into that position, if we don't take a chance we won't get one. 

Rodgers, Big Ben, David Carr, Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott. 

There are lots of good starters not taken in the top 5 of their drafts. That list includes the four best QBs in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Bag of Milk said:

Gabriel is a clown, easily my least favorite "expert"

Gabriel on Johnny Manziel in 2014:

"If I had to compare Manziel to another NFL quarterback I would say he is part Wilson, part Brees and part Brett Favre. It obviously remains to be seen if he will have the success of those players."

Horrible analysis, he loses a lot of credibility saying that. Manziel just ran around and threw jump balls to Mike Evans in college. He is lucky he had Evans on his team. 

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

I think we're getting close to convincing you it is OK that we are not getting Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.  If that QB room doesn't excite you, this should:

Round 1: 12 (from Cincinnati)

Round 1: 22 (from Kansas City)

Round 2: 53

Rohbd 2: 56 (from Los Angeles Rams)

Round 3: 65 (from Cleveland)

Round 3: 96 (from Philadelphia)

Round 4: 121

Round 5: 166

Round 6: 187 (from Cincinnati)

This draft is going to be a blast.

So, the Jets get Rosen or Mayfield, but not much else.  Look at the picks we have.  We get Rudolph, who I think could be a stud, and fits McDermott's and Beane to a T, plus all these picks.  Imagine if they hit on all of them, or even half of them.

If we miss out on Darnold and Rosen then I will be hoping for Mayfield in the first or White/Rudolph in the second. All of those guys are seniors, which improves their chance of succeeding in the NFL. I think a lot of the biggest QB busts have been juniors or sophomores. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea he might be an Andy Dalton at best but he's not on Darnold , Rosen , Baker level imo 

though if the Bills end up wanting him , I will support him 100%

I literally just said that at his best he might be a Dalton type 

He reminds me a lot of Teddy Bridgewater coming out of Louisville. I think Rudolph has a chance to be a solid starter. I agree he won't be elite though. 

I really hope the Browns pass on Darnold, I would be willing to pay the ransom to the Giants if he is on the board at 2. 

Edited by billspro

27 minutes ago, billspro said:

He reminds me a lot of Teddy Bridgewater coming out of Louisville. I think Rudolph has a chance to be a solid starter. I agree he won't be elite though.

And that is a big problem that could lead us down the same path....not  willing to move on and trying to surround them with more talent....

13 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

And that is a big problem that could lead us down the same path....not  willing to move on and trying to surround them with more talent....

As long as you pair those guys with a good offensive coordinator they can be a part of great offenses. Just look what Goff did in LA.

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

As long as you pair those guys with a good offensive coordinator they can be a part of great offenses. Just look what Goff did in LA.

Goff was a #1 pick....Rudolph=solid starter= Dalton. Good enough to win some games for you, not bad enough to move on from....

Bridgewater was a waste of a pick and don't try to sell me on Jackson...I'm sick of "dynamic" QBs and the dumbass wildcat...Can't we get a QB who will stay in the pocket and actually throw the ball?

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Rudolph is a 3rd/4th round prospect.

No difference between him and prospects like Landry Jones or Bryce Petty. 

Are you sure?  Cousins was a 4th rounder, Foles 3rd round, Wilson 3rd round.

For guys like Rudolph (most QBs, really) it's all about the system he's in.  He'd kill it in NE.

2 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

Gabriel is a clown, easily my least favorite "expert"

Gabriel on Johnny Manziel in 2014:

"If I had to compare Manziel to another NFL quarterback I would say he is part Wilson, part Brees and part Brett Favre. It obviously remains to be seen if he will have the success of those players."

He forgot Ryan Leaf.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:01 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think Rudolph goes top 20...

He has a good amount of stuff to work on and clean up

Needs a lot of work under center and might have the weakest arm of the top 6

Scouting reports I read say he was the best deep ball QB in college last year.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:40 AM, Chicken Boo said:

Are you sure?  Cousins was a 4th rounder, Foles 3rd round, Wilson 3rd round.

For guys like Rudolph (most QBs, really) it's all about the system he's in.  He'd kill it in NE.

We now run the same system as NE

6 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Scouting reports I read say he was the best deep ball QB in college last year.

We now run the same system as NE

He does throw a very good deep ball 

but he doesn't have as strong an arm as Baker, Darnold or Rosen

On 3/17/2018 at 11:07 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Of course, but a QB room of McCarron, Rudolph, and Peterman doesn't excite me. 

It excites opposing DBs/secondaries though.

They would be marking "Buffalo bills" as "stat padding to get paid" days.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

JP Losman had a cannon.  Brady doesn't have the stongest arm and he seems to play ok in Buffalo.

Brady has worked his way into having a very strong arm

He can throw it 65+ mph on a rope as well as sling is 65-70 yards

i fully understand arm strength is not end all be all but Brady throws a beautiful deep out... as of today Rudolph struggles with that

i would rather have Rudolph over Lamar Jackson 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

i fully understand arm strength is not end all be all but Brady throws a beautiful deep out... as of today Rudolph struggles with that

Well I'd rather get punched in the stomach than kicked in the nuts...

I'd prefer neither ??

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And I would rather have Mayfield or Allen over Rudolph.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:00 PM, jrober38 said:

Rudolph is a 3rd/4th round prospect.

No difference between him and prospects like Landry Jones or Bryce Petty. 

How do you know that?  Is it because you read an anonymous quote attributed to a scout?  I remember the Bills flat out stating prior to the draft that Cordy Glenn could not play OT and then drafting him to play OT.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:32 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

How do you know that?  Is it because you read an anonymous quote attributed to a scout?  I remember the Bills flat out stating prior to the draft that Cordy Glenn could not play OT and then drafting him to play OT.

Watch him play. 

He's a system QB who has a mediocre arm, no mobility and only decent accuracy.

As I said, he's the same guy as Bryce Petty and Landry Jones. How are those guys doing as pros?